Can we please have our characters' identity/agency back?

Since DF, our characters are always referred to with gender neutral pronouns, which is new. In all the past expansions our characters were referred by the gender we chose, aka being called lad/lass, mr./miss sir/lady. Sometimes there were even voiced lines, like the ones in Ardenweald where an NPC could call you hunter/huntress.

Now I wouldn’t care if this was an option, but it’s not. And I do care because this is an RPG. If a game like Starfield can have every single line voiced and you’re able to choose from three options, then WoW can do it for it’s non voiced text. Hell, even Call of Duty had a campaign where you could choose between he, she or they.

And we KNOW Blizz had a solution for this, at least the people that follow Beta news do. Because during the Beta for DF there was a datamined option where you could choose a pronoun for your character, which I’m sure would affect the quest text which means the commands in the code are probably there already. So where is it? Are they afraid of putting it in?

The only people that would complain are ones that aren’t aware of how it’s already been changed which means they ain’t even reading the quest text to begin with. Basically this would be a good option to put in because right now we don’t have options.

This would also work well with titles, although they could’ve already done that before. For example the title “High Priest”. I’m not using that title on my priest simply because it doesn’t say “High Priestess” instead, even though every female NPC priest in the game is called High Priestess or Priestess of Elune etc.

This might seem unimportant, but I’m reminding you again that this an RPG game, and it’s good if people can connect to their character, especially for those that do like reading quest text, and not just once, but multiple times across all their different characters.

PS: I wasn’t sure which word is the correct one for this, “identity” or “agency” and that’s why I put both in the title.

133 Likes

Oh boy, here we go again! Hold on your hats!

6 Likes

Please read the whole thing. I just want options. Other games have them like I mentioned in the OP.

I just want to provide feedback, and people arguing will ruin that.

34 Likes

Yes I do agree, Blizzard should give us the option to choose how they should refer to us.

22 Likes

How dare they assume my characters gender?

19 Likes

/target Shenyssae
/cast power word shield
/cast Guardian Angel

:dracthyr_comfy_sip:

7 Likes

Does it really bother you that much? Is it about immersion because it’s an rpg game? Maybe they should add an option to disable seeing those ridiculous transmogs first.

This thread is not gonna end well

6 Likes

There’s no reason for options like this to not exist. As for the outfit my character is wearing, we’re currently in the period between two expansions, there’s no important questlines for me to do anymore. When I go into the TWW main quests then I’ll change to a normal set/mog.

Edit: Why is the post hidden now? How am I supposed to provide feedback for something like this without mentioning specific words? (which I assume thats why it’s being hidden in the first place.)

12 Likes

I don’t know what you are talking about, I use italian client and all the npcs talk to me using masculine.
I get called monaco (male monk). The feminine would be monaca.

3 Likes

My gender is Champion and my pronouns are Champion / Champion.

Cannot wait for Magni’s return in TWW.

32 Likes

It bothered an extreme minority enough that Blizzard changed it.

Lets not pretend that people on the other side weren’t taking offense for this to happen in the first place.

27 Likes

or “Oh Girl”. Apparently it is important.

An addon that addresses oversensitivity could be beneficial. As long as the interaction remains polite, the specific terms used to address me are of little concern.

1 Like

I personally dont care, but it would be nice with an option to choose what your character identifies as and this was reflected in the game. Maybe the reason it isnt is cause they tried and it didnt work (hence it was in beta/datamined and never made it to live according to your OP) and they just opted for going for the safe non gendered version instead.

1 Like

You’re not supposed to talk about this topic at all.
Be glad that it only deducts 2,000 points of your score for your blasphemy.

4 Likes

The topic in itself is fine, problem is that topics like these have a tendency to derail into insults and bringing the worst out in people. We all think we have gotten quite far with inclusiveness and accepting everyone, but topics like these very often ends up showing the opposite.

7 Likes

Being able to set it would be nice. For immersion. Choices are good.
I also think being able to pick your voice independent of ‘body 1 or 2’ would be nice.

5 Likes

Its hidden because complaining about this very topic summons the woke mob who can only fight through cancel culture.

Blizzard also always sides with them.

18 Likes

I mean, I’d like to think that my topic is pro-inclusive, considering I’m just asking for more choices…

13 Likes

But it’s not anti-woke.
It’s asking for options/choices. That’s GOOD!
That’s inclusive.

Forcing all characters to be a ‘they’ is actually oppressive and limited.
So I don’t get how you’d think this is anti woke.

27 Likes