Can you sue Blizzard?

If/When they decide to shut-down WoW? :stuck_out_tongue: Shouldnt they pay you something back for the invested time and money in this game during the years? Yeah, you payed to play, but you still own the characters and the items. They will be gone forever and you wont be able to use the stuff which you bought. Is this fair?

The only solution is to keep the servers alive forever in “Maintenance Mode” :wink:
I bet a lot of ppl will still keep sub to play the game even without any new content. They wont lose any money that way on new dev staff, etc.

Sure you can always sue them. Be prepared to fight against their army of lawyers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Indeed.

It’d takes years + probably millions in court costs just to jump through all the legal loopholes they’d have.

Short answer: no!
Because you don’t own any of the assets, characters, items or anything you’ve obtained ingame. Its all owned by Blizzard, which is also reflected in the EULA.

With the sole exception of the Licensors’ Games, Blizzard is the owner or licensee of all right, title, and interest in and to the Platform, including the Games that are produced and developed by Blizzard (“Blizzard Games”), Custom Games derived from a Blizzard Game, Accounts, and all of the features and components thereof. The Platform may contain materials licensed by third-parties to Blizzard, and these third-parties may enforce their ownership rights against you in the event that you violate this Agreement. The following components of the Platform (which do not include content or components of the Licensors’ Games), are owned or licensed by Blizzard:

1. All virtual content appearing within the Platform, including the Blizzard Games, such as:
  2. Visual Components: Locations, artwork, structural or landscape designs, animations, and audio-visual effects;
  3. Narrations: Themes, concepts, stories, and storylines;
  4. Characters: The names, likenesses, inventories, and catch phrases of Game characters;
  5. Items: Virtual goods, such as digital cards, currency, potions, weapons, armor, wearable items, skins, sprays, pets, mounts, etc.;

You agreed to these terms when you created your account.

12 Likes

I suggest my friend you don’t do something you are going to regret and exactly sue them for what I didn’t quite catch the reason you would do something stupid like that?.And also if you even consider doing that you got Ion he’s your first boss to go through :joy:.

1 Like

Don’t think you can, but if WoW ever closes, I’d probably write a huge thank you letter to blizzard for delivering one of the best games in history.

9 Likes

Check again. If I remember correctly EULA clearly states that nothing on your account is actually your property. In theory they could delete all your characters and achievements and probably get away with it (at least legally, and not in Europe).

1 Like

As stated before, you don’t OWN anything within the game. If Blizzard feel they want to delete one of your characters, they can. They control everything. What you pay for is to play on their servers, that’s it. They can just delete your whole account if they felt like it, and there’s nothing you can do about it since it’s apart of the ToS.

Plus, if you’ve spent years playing the game, then no, you can’t sue them. You’ve had your money’s worth by “playing the game”. So, there isn’t anything you can do.

Yes.

Will you win…

No. /thread

1 Like

read the terms of use, Blizzard own everything.

Also OP, flag yourself for a name change or someone will report you and you will get a game ban.

1 Like

No, you do not.

And that is the answer to this hypothetical issue.

Right there with you.

One might say I wasted my time levelling a character that has been deleted, but levelling in a video game is always a waste of time…

… except that time you enjoyed wasting wasn’t wasted.

you will not be able to sue blizzard for them closing down the servers finally. their tos covers this. the only thing that may ever be sue-able, is blizzard taking advantage of players through “clever use of mechanics” but that would be an ethics question, and currently they would have nothing to worry about.

^ this guy did NOT read the " Read me" page, but he clicked “I read and accept”

I think the vast majority of people don’t read it. Reminds me of the south park human centipede episode.

Blizzard could say “we will drain your bank accounts of all their cash” in there.

Not really. I’ve been flagged for this before, all it does is to DC your toon and doesnt let you enter till you change the name. Plus i dont even think his name is explicit.

using the ß is obviously bypassing the filter.

Your character is like rental car or lodged house. While you can use it however you want and you have exlusive right to use it as long as you pay for it, it is not yours. Never was, never will be.

I’d like to sue CBS for cancelling Salvation on a massive cliff-hanger at the end of Season 2, but what can you do?

Just agreeing to the EULA means nothing. Whether the things they write in their EULA are legal before a court matters. You as a landlord can also write anything you want into your rent contract. The question is whether you can enforce it.