Cannot log into any realm WOW51900328

just got back on for now good luck everyone else trying to get back on

1 Like

Oh now it works for me. I got in.

IT WORKS i got online guys

After reading most of the posts in this thread and taking into consideration the resent DDoS attacks, I would like to test a theory.

Some guy in this thread posted his way to solve the issue by flashing the DNS cache in his Linux machine and restarting the network adapter.

Others suggested that the people that cant connect from their main PC but can connect with their laptop (or other machines in the same network) had their MAC address blocked due to the DDoS attacks.

My theory is does Blizzard target Linux machines to prevent from accessing their services?
Who here (like me) uses a Linux machine to play wow?
Did anyone here tried to temporarily change their MAC address to see if thatā€™s the issue?

Why Linux? Because it is relatively easy, only by considering the amount of tools there are, to make such an attack. Iā€™m not an information security expert or anything, just trying to find logic behind ā€œwhy me?ā€ - while all my friend are online.

By the way, it still does not work for me.

Hello I am on win 10, and still have same issue I cannot play, I tried to flush out dns, delete wtf cache ftw whatever have you, nothing works, i tried to switch on laptop, didnt workā€¦ I tried to use tethering, worksā€¦Iā€™m not sure what the hell is going on at blizzard servers.

Others suggested that the people that cant connect from their main PC but can connect with their laptop (or other machines in the same network) had their MAC address blocked due to the DDoS attacks.

This doesnā€™t make sense, since Blizzard could not see the MAC address of a DDoS connection, perhaps via the client, but the attackers will not be using the client.

Who here (like me) uses a Linux machine to play wow?

I play on Linux, but remember the error is that the SYN connection is not acknowledged, it would be /almost/ impossible to determine the OS that created the packet if you were on the same physical LAN, but via the Internet the chances of reliably doing OS detection on 1 packet are next to nil.

Blizzard is not targetting Linux usersā€¦ and a DDoS requires many compromised machines around the world, which means the attacking machines are almost certainly Windows anywayā€¦ if not IoT devices like Fridges and Toasters. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that :slight_smile:

This actually does make senseā€¦ if thereā€™s multiple servers and some round robin DNS, flushing your DNS and reconnecting will give you a /chance/ to hit a different serverā€¦ but itā€™s by no means guaranteed, Iā€™ve tried without success.

I have 2 ubuntu PCā€™s and 1 Windows PCā€¦

I was playing with my brother on ubuntu earlier tonight without any problem. We moved upstairs, bringing 1 ubuntu latop and booting up windows pc.

After a WC run, we tried to exit the zone and on the 1 Ubuntu we got stuck. The Windows PC was fine. We logged off Ubuntu and tried going back getting this error on any realm we try. Meanwhile we can log off and on with Windows just fineā€¦

So we checked the other Ubuntu machineā€¦ Same problemā€¦ We also swapped accounts between ubuntu and windows. but the account is not the issue. the machine connecting is the issue.

So for the moment we can get to realm select with any machine, but both ubuntu machines canā€™t get to character select. Itā€™ll hang and timeout with a wow51900328 error. Windows on the other hand is fine.

Tried to do the DNS flush solution. Tried to reinstall wow. Tried to rename WTF and Interface foldersā€¦ All this stuff didnā€™t change the problem. (ps. we use zero add ons)

Also tried resetting modem and see if google comes up and stuff like that. But itā€™s really vague what is causing the problem, since we have a windows machine that can connectā€¦ Not sure if it is the OS difference causing the problem, but so far that is a big variable between working and not working machines.

Sucks I can no longer play with my brother tonightā€¦ Hope this gets resolved soon

I imagine, if there is a DNS entry for the realm server with round robinā€¦ it may be that the order in which Linux selects them could be different to Windowsā€¦ but clearly there are Windows users with the same problem, so it could be entirely random.

Can you check the output of ā€œnetstat -anā€ on Windows compared to Ubuntu to see if the IP itā€™s connected to is different?

Youā€™re looking for something like:-

tcp 0 1 192.168.x.x:57028 37.244.x.x:3724 SYN_SENT

I was about to and then my Ubuntu connected againā€¦ after 2 hours of troubleā€¦ But the issue resolved itself for this machine automagicallyā€¦ I imagine now that it works, doing netstat and tracerts and the likes isnā€™t going to prove a point sadly

Anywaysā€¦ it just fixed itselfā€¦ happy to be back in the game :slight_smile:

I was having similar issues to others here; Win10, rebooting et al - nothing worked.

Curiously, my wifeā€™s game had no issues at all - even though weā€™re on the same network & end up with the same public facing IP address.

What did work for me was a game repair - it looks like Blizz dropped a small patch for the game and the launcher isnā€™t applying it to games when it should.

Scan & repair of the game made it patch the game - was all good after that.

I doubt it ā€œResolved Itselfā€, some sysadmin at Blizzard has probably been working hard to get things working againā€¦ we thank you whoever you are.

Iā€™m back in also.

I got Linux too.

Earlier I tried to switch public/private addresses at both my local machine and border router without luck.
Suprisingly, your advice on changing ethernet NIC MAC to some random value with ip link set dev XXXXX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX did the trick.

1 Like

lol glad my question directed you. Could you share your solution please?

I use Linux dual-booted with Windows. I had the error while playing on Linux, on Windows it works fine.

Probably related to the MAC addresses.

I also had this issue on linux machine. It was fixed by log into game from Windows laptop and after that i was able to enter the game server on Linux machine.

Also i logged out/logged in battle.net app on Linux machine, so maybe this is the solution:
Update authorization for Battle net app.

I can say that this, and the other suggested solutions above may be co-incidental, since I changed nothing what so ever and it started working again for me at the same time as the othersā€¦ I think there was an issue that was simply fixed, or DDoS stopped.

Okā€¦ after a lot of tries doing all of the above, Iā€™ve managed to login into my realm to the character screen. Login in to my character tho brought me to 90% loading andā€¦ nothing. After few mins of being stuck Im getting kicked back into the character screen with the massage ā€œWorld server is downā€ā€¦
Restarting the game brings me back to the start with ā€œLogging in to game serverā€ + ā€œYou have been disconnected. (WOW51900328)ā€.
I have no ideas any more.