Can't update!

So i know some people have this issue and some don’t but ever since the worst patch ever launched I had to reinstall the whole game three times becaus it refuses to update with the same error message BLZBNTAGT00000840. Once on patch day, secont time on one of the small updates and third today for the season 4 update. Try to fix this because at this rate no one is even going to bother playing the game if every little update makes them go through 2 hours of installing the game and another hour of downloading, installing and organizing addons and UI.

I had same problem. Restart would had probably fixed for me, but I didn’t to restart, so I tried other things. Luckily turning off Windows Defender (or what ever it is called on Windows 10) realtime protection allowed game to get updated.

Hi there Holytear,

You can find more info about other steps you can try before re-installing over in this article: BLZBNTAGT00000840.

If you want us to help have a look for you, you’d need to record some diagnostics files as per Obtaining System Files and share them via https://pastebin.com/ or similar site.

I’m glad to hear you were able to resolve it with a re-install for now, but I totally agree that given the time and effort it takes, it’s not something you’ll want to keep doing for every update.

The repair did not work had to unistall not sure i want to re-install as this would also be my third time i may just cancell my sub and move onto better pastures.

I did everything in the list last two times and it didn’t work so I had to reinstall and now after coming back from work I did them again just to humor the system but again it doesn’t work so I am reinstalling it again. But if every little balance patch makes me reinstall the game over and over again I don’t think the issue is in my PC.

I have the same issue, had it with 8.3 as well. Nothing from the help page helps, I had to re-download and reinstall the game into a new folder. Super annoying to do this every week, especially with such helpful error description as “something went wrong with a file”

I see, I see. If you (or indeed another player that may stumble into this thread) come across this again, it may be worth having a look in the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) for a process called wowvoiceproxy.exe and force close it before retrying the update, as this seems to be a pretty common cause.

4 Likes

Mac issues - CRASHING, LAGGING AND STUTTERING AFTER 8.3 - #239 by Lvcan-sylvanas answer. Do your job