Change yards to meters

1. Is there a way to change all ingame distances from yards to meters?

I know it doesnt matter of course. But is still bothers me. I have never heard of yards and how long that is.

46 Likes

Yea it would be nice

4 Likes

Now now, plucky Britain did not fight a war with Napoleon only to start using the system he imposed on the rest of Europe! Our Colonial cousins across the pond agree with us!

I joke. Even as a Brit I can visualise a Meter, but visualising a Yard is trickier (even though there’s not that much in it) To be honest, it wouldn’t bother me, It isn’t as much of a gripe as I have whenever I go to Orgrimmar and see the ‘Valley of Honor’ and have to internally correct it to ‘Valley of Honour’ :grin:

15 Likes

I agree, have a meters setting, we dont want to use the devils measurements

29 Likes

We live in europe we use the metric system .
This is easy to implement.

24 Likes

Ironically the german client actually uses metres as the unit of measurement in tooltips.

The number doesn’t change though.

So I guess everything is just slightly bigger in the german client.

(For some reason Germans also seem to deal less damage. Not sure what happened there)

19 Likes

Honestly for me I’ve always measured the distances in game in yards, so a change now would just confuse me, but of course, have the option for those that want it.

1 Like

I just realized that WoW using the imperial system is probably the #1 reason why they cant balance that game correctly.

69 Likes

Have a :heart: for making me laugh :grin:

7 Likes

That’s exactly what i was thinking right now ,imperial bs =))

1 Like

Funnily enough, the distances in WoW that it calls “yards” has nothing to do with actual yards. It’s just a label with no relation whatsoever. It’s calculated as a percentage of the map - so technically, it’s closer to how the metric system works.

As such, no real conversion is necessary, just a change of the label. I’m reasonably sure that addons are not able to do that, though. Perhaps in tooltips, but not anywhere else. I guess tooltips are what matters most though…

2 Likes

Sacrebleu!! We’re right using metric system!

1 Like

Technically correct answer.

The locale of the client is “English (Great Britain)” and therefore yards are adequate.

Also, it is spelt “metres”. :^)

4 Likes

I know why that is.
If they would recalculate the yards into meters, it would be less range to cast from.
And in that time to travel from A to B, the fireball has time to ‘‘heat up’’.

So if it travels 35 yards it does more damage vs travelling 32 meters and does a bit less damage :smiley:

2 Likes

Unfortunately for us Europeans, the USA are still living in the 18th century with regards to weights and measures and still use the antiquated imperial measurements.

FYI 1 meter is just a weee bit longer than a yard (1" = .254 of a meter)

4 Likes

IRL I’m all for the metric system, all these old measurements of chains and furlongs are rather confusing. They only really survive in very traditional areas like horse racing.

But in game I think yards feels more authentic of ye olde worlde faux-medieval setting.
Should we replace the buildings in Stormwind with glass fronted skyscrapers as they’re better for space and more modern?

1 Like

Saurfang; “The horde has no honor”
Yeah you’re right Saurfang, it should have honour instead.

7 Likes

For our European friends " = an Inch.
For the slower out there, .254 of a meter = 2.5 centimeter(cm)s.
1 yard = 3ft.
1 meter = 3ft 3"

A meter is 7.5 cms longer than a yard.

2 Likes

Edited for wrong info as Ananda’s maths is really bad.

Yes please.