Changes to Hunter pet resurrection cast time (Shadowlands)

Hi everyone,

The current changes to Hunters, as part of the Shadowlands alpha / beta testing, shows that the pet resurrection cast time is being extended from 2 seconds to 6 seconds. Dismiss pet appears to be staying as a 3 second cast time.

Presumably these changes to the pet resurrection cast time are to act as a punishment (for lack of a better word) for Hunters not healing their pets and trying to mitigate the damage they receive; treating pets almost like an equal party member (who would need a 10 second resurrection time if they died).

Whilst I can see some logic in that, I was wondering what other Hunter players thought about the decision to triple the pet resurrection cast time? Is it a fair change or is it too extreme?

2 Likes

I personally think thats a bad idea and it should be reverted to 2 seconds. If not, something else needs to be done.

They need to become tankier to compensate. The aoe limit might help in bigger fights(pets dying to aoe without being targetted), but they still need to be tankier 1v1. They can die pretty easy even if we heal them or pull them back.

Also we’re going to need a cooldown that reduces pet cast time to 0.5 seconds(Add a GCD to it from the cooldown, so thats almost 2 seconds in total) like warlocks. I dont know the exacty ability but they have something like this.

5 Likes

Warlocks is in a similar boat to you. Pet summons got extended to a 6s cast. But we are getting a 3min cd that reduces cast time by 5.5s. I think we had Fel Domination in the past, but it was removed when cast times got shortened.

1 Like

A cooldown option would be okay but given how little Hunters need to change their pets (Warlock pets are more squishy), it would defeat the purpose of even changing the cast time in the first place.

1 Like

Since warlocks are getting fel dom it would only make sense that we get heart of the phoenix back for pets with a cool down if this change is here to stay.

3 Likes

I love gnomemade pancakes!!!

Sounds good, means that killing pets will be an actual viable strategy again, and bringing it back up will require some thought and skill.

One of few good changes so far in SL.

1 Like

I’d say it’s a real problem in arena for survival and bm hunters since the pet is part of the main dmg rotation. For example survival cannot regen any focus affectively without the pet. And at least in my opinion denying pet ress becomes number one priority for the enemy team. Without turtle or amazing peels from team mates it becomes almost impossible to get a ress of.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty good to me.

Great payoff for managing to kill it, great payoff for managing to keep it alive. And if you fail you use a CD (Turtle) to get it back, or do a skillplay via CC to get it back.

1 Like

To be fair they die to 2 direct hits. Even without direct hits they die to random AOE in 10 seconds especially in BGs(Hopefully aoe cap is going to help about this).

They need to be a little bit more tankier for this to be okay.

2 Likes

That I can get behind.

But then again, in WotLK summoning a pet was a 10sec cast and they died pretty much instantly back then too, and it wasn’t a problem (both Warlock and Hunter pets).

2 Likes

I hope that the 2 other people that upvoted that comment are you on your other characters.

holy yikes my dude the game is not wrath anymore, it’s literally so different right now it’s not even comparable

3 Likes

Hunters played MM in wotlk because of armor pen.

1 Like

Ah yes, keeping them alive with our extended defensive toolkit, composed by:
-mend pet
-exhilaration (who needs a heal for himself? give it to the pet!)
-pray
-???

But sure, great change overall, completely necessary /s

2 Likes

This change is so stupid that i dont even worry about it
it will get reverted/changed, question is if blizz do it before release or not

1 Like

There are healers in this game. It’s not balanced around 1vs1.

1 Like

I remember a healer throwing a HoT on my pet once I believe it was back in Wrath.

3 Likes

Maybe you should consider playing with better healers.

1 Like

let me put it plainly, if either survival or bm don’t have a pet, they literally can’t do anything. this specs don’t function without a pet, having a disarm with a 2 sec cast-time to re-equip your weapon is already a big disadvantage. If you can’t capitalize on a 2 second cast after spending something like 3 globals on an npc with bad ai, you’re probably bad. The class doesn’t need this nerf, at least it doesn’t need it to be this big.

Literally everyone that plays a hunter is against this change.

6 Likes

Ok, is that supposed to matter? “Literally everyone who’s not a Hunter is for it”.

Doesn’t matter if the Hunter community is against it. Of course you’d be against it since it’s a nerf.

Letting your pet die shouldn’t be “ez-I’ll just re-summon”. This will let good Hunters (and healers) shine.

PS: I play Hunter at 2.6K rating and when I don’t play Hunter myself I play almost exclusively with Hunters. So nah, not “literally” everyone that plays Hunter is against this change.

Imagine thinking people die in less than 2 globals.

Then increase pet HP a bit.

Bad AI is just a horrible excuse, l2 control it - just like all good Hunters do.

1 Like