Character customization

Hey look at me, Kork the orc, wear goggles, safety against nuclear waste, the puny gnomes and I get to keep my eye color secret!

Stop with the old engine excuses. Making retextures as in new hair colors takes SECONDS.

Iā€™ve already done it hundred of times by modding games, with so basic textures in WoW itā€™s even easier. Adding a handful of extra colors that are direly needed wonā€™t lag the game, weā€™re going to get new zones and new items with future expansions.

If they donā€™t want to make new models, fine, but at least retexture faces/hair color so that we can finally have characters with true black hair and beards.

4 Likes

Blizzard must be happy having so many ppl defend them like sheep :upside_down_face:

I never claimed that. Of course thereā€™s been updates and changes to it; I even stated as much is one of my replies.
However; there is still a rudimentary basis for the engine and that will not be changed because it would break the game. So thereā€™s limits with what they can actually do.

Again; Iā€™m a huge customization fan, so yeah I say bring it on. I just think, realistically, that nothing big will ever happen.

Yeah, this gets me pretty annoyed. Most MMOs, even the f2p ones, have so much better character creation, weā€™re not asking for sliders, just to separate some options, like letting us change eye color and the expression without choosing an entirely new face. No body options are pretty sad as well.

1 Like

SWG had all these options and it predated WOW by about a year

Personally Id like to see size sliders in the game. Not for individual features though (I def dont want to see loads of giant boobed elves running about!).
Just give us the opportunity to be small or large within racial limitations.

I respect you and your opinion but I think itā€™s quite silly how you drag the discussion to a technical debate about something you donā€™t have a clue about and provide no evidence that such limitation exists.

The game engine and its components were probably iterated and evolved to support/deliver new functionality and features as I mentioned in my previous post many times with each expansion and this is no different if such limitation exists then the only two things that might prevent it are priorities and costs because if there is a demand for it thereā€™s nothing stopping them from changing whatever needs changing in order to add the feature and trust me engineers can be extremely creative when it comes to problem solving.

p.s. game engine != rendering engine

And you know this how?
I could now very well say ā€˜you have no clue about what I do or do not knowā€™. :man_shrugging:

Why donā€™t you provide proof that it DOESNā€™T Exist?

Iā€™m getting a bit tired of this discussion tbh. I know certain things and I heard/read certain things and thatā€™s what Iā€™m basing my arguments on.

As I already stated; I am all for more customization. Iā€™d like way more options than we have now. But even if the engine is not an issue; money is.

New customization isnā€™t making them money (except maybe the odd re-subber).

Heck, Iā€™d even buy packs of exclusive racial customization if theyā€™d sell them in the store. But is that the way most people would like this implemented? Nope.

Iā€™m a software engineer and an addon author so I know a thing or two.

Why donā€™t you provide proof that it DOESNā€™T Exist?

Seriously, you started this technical debate not me so the onus is on you, good luck. :wink:

Star Trek Online nailed itā€¦ it usually takes me about 90 minutes to create a character whilst I adjustā€¦

• Eye Colour (256 pallete)
  • Hair colour (256 pallete)
  • Leg length
  • Leg bulk
  • Hip Size
  • Hip Bulk
  • Chest Size
  • Arm Length
  • Arm Bulk
  • Torso width
  • Hips width
  • Hand size
  • Feet size
  • Neck width
  • Height
  • Tattoos
  • Accesories (earings, tech etc)
  • and many many more

Thatā€™s before I start on hair styles, face styles, uniformā€¦ and all different per race.

1 Like

Itā€™s older.

2 Likes

And Iā€™m a graphic designer. Doesnā€™t mean I know how to paint the Mona Lisa. :kissing_heart:

Anyway, letā€™s just agree that more customization would be wonderful, okay? :grin:

1 Like

It probably is but 11 is the info i have :smiley: but it could be older.

Itā€™s cry engine 1. Itā€™s old as hell, it was released in 2002.

2 Likes

Aion?! Wow I never bothered to check that back in the day. It dis had good customization indeed. I remember on release a guy who made Mickael Jacksonā€™s face pretty accurately

Thatā€™s definitely true, I didnā€™t say I know how the WoW engine is built but I certainly know how a game engine is built and Iā€™m also an addon author so I have some insights to the game.

Anyway, letā€™s just agree that more customization would be wonderful, okay? :grin:

Sure. :smiley:

1 Like

More hair options for tauren and nightborne would be nice. 4 is just silly imo

Well thank you this proves my point I made earlier that if old engine MMOs can do it so can wow.

You wount get an apology from somebodyelse as he think he is never wrong.