Character model bans (Discussion, same as we had for xp abuse, not breaking rules)

WHAT
Dear lord…
I regret clicking that.

2 Likes

2 of my sons played it for quite some years actually… then they got older moved out and got jobs and prefer games that don’t eat so much of their time. My daughter also played it for a year.

So yes kids play it.

That’s partially Blizzard’s fault. They are too inconsistent about enforcing the ToS.

2 Likes

I mean… In my eyes it doesn’t really differ at all to me to how all the addons perfom…
Welp. Another hit for a dwindling wow population.
How long did those people go under the radar even though blizz knew about their existance? ~10-12 years? By now blizz could’ve done a wow mod workshop thing where they could moderate the mods on their own terms and make sure people would prove they are 18+ to use the “lewder” so many of you are posting about.
Since it was only client sided anyway…

But nope. As recent years have shown already, Blizz hates fun.

I was also tempted to use the HD vanilla armor textures mod too. Happy I didn’t

8 Likes

Why… Just why…
I am glad incognito exists for this reason.

This isn’t a new thing. I’ve heard about people have been banned for modding since I started 8 or 9 years ago, and it wasn’t a new thing then, either.

Teknetia nailed it exactly. As a developer, I am painfully awate that all Blizzard CAN know is that someone injected software into the running game. They CAN’T know what that mod did.[*] For all they know, it could have been a bot, or a cheat hack. And of course if they were lenient on people who changed the software for “harmless” purposes, every botter and hacker ever would claim they were just doing it to change their colour palette or something.

It’s sad, but there is no way for Blizzard to distinguish harmless hacking from harmful hacking.

[*] Just adding this because someone is going to pick on the point: yes, in some cases, under some conditions, depending on what tests Warden ran at the time, Blizzard might be able to tell what the hack was. (And it was a hack, even if it was a harmless one.) But they definitely can’t do it in general, in all cases, and if they did try, the next move a hacker would make would be to slip in a cheating hack under the cover of a harmless one.

10 Likes

The bans do seem kind of out proportion really, few days for leveling exploits, no bans for cauldron exploits that literally tanked flash economy on many servers and 6 months for this?
Well, their game their rules. But just seems odd to me.

5 Likes

First off I want to clarify that I really don’t have a lot of sympathy. The rule to not modify the software is very clearly stated in a much, much shorter document that appears before the ToS when you open WoW the first time. Ask anybody in the community and they will tell you they know you shouldn’t modify the game files. It’s not exactly hard to figure out. These people decided to take the risk, and that’s it. GG.

However… ToS as they are written for modern software is generally not accepted in a court of law, because they are so deliberately hard to read that the average person can’t read it.

People need and want to know what they’re signing up for before they can actually consent! We just went through this whole process with data mining companies and cookie abuse just recently. Getting very, very tired of the “just read the ToS” argument. People can’t.

And don’t even get me started on how all this relates to Europe. The contract is literally not available in Danish, so if it was presented to a Danish judge, Blizzard would lose the case instantly. Don’t think anybody will though.

6 Likes

One is using a bug WITHIN the game, aka the exp pot, one is injecting potentially cheating code like noxlip, godmode, etc.

2 Likes

I am sorry but you have to be pretty stupid to alter game code.

6 Likes

Either way, it wasn’t really monitored for over 12 years because the main use of it was harmless. People took the risk due to the harmless nature of the texture/model edits, but obviously some like to spoil it for the rest, and now it seems Blizzard’s anti-cheating system detected the custom launcher that has been used for years.

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a case where players changed the model of the stairs in AQ40, they changed the model into another smaller model, this allowed them to skip the whole raid and go straight to C’thun.

I remember this being a thing, and people getting perma bans for it.

Changing only a model can be harmless, or game breaking.

4 Likes

I remember something about making herb/ore nodes appear a lot bigger too.

4 Likes

A ban was in order but 6 months is too long for this kind of violation. If it was a repeated offense I would understand but frankly it should be nowhere near that long.

5 Likes

Omg! All these very naughty things - Just to read then and reply I have to replace my son’s stash lol

So who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me…weeping shades of indigo

When players are going out of their way to add or fix something that’s relatively easy to do from the developers ends, maybe, just maybe they should consider actually implementing it themselves.
Instead they are taking a sledgehammer to an issue they have nurtured with no notable fix in sight.

I’m not even interested in bikini armors yet I’m largely disappointed with their reluctance in adding more of them, only reason they finally gave us hide everything was because of tattoos. And besides, just how many half naked humanoids have we been killing these last 10 years?

Edit: So it appears that they have undone most of the bans, which is great. Still doubt they are going to tackle the underlying cause for the frequent usage of non-malicious model editing.

10 Likes

The mods we had access to didn’t alter any objects. You’re getting confused. Exploits like that weren’t allowed on the mod forums and were never talked about there, nor on the Discord server with thousands of people. Our main focus was clothing/armour textures and altering character models/skins, not objects/scenery.

3 Likes

No. This is definitely wrong. I remember distinctly one of the first things I heard about back in 2010 was a complaint about the unfairness of people being banned for changing models.

Of course, software makers keep changing the fingerprint of the software they use, so some can get away with ot for a long time, but Blizzard have been monitoring and enforcing.

I made one of the initial topics about this which btw is now deleted because Blizz doesn’t like receiving any criticism.

I’ll say here what I also said there, the problem is not that people got banned, it’s that people got banned 6 months for it! More so, banned for something that Blizz has known about for more than a decade and that they chose to ignore, but now all of a sudden they decided to take action against it.

No surprise at all that people are pissed then, if something was allowed to pass for more than a decade then all of a sudden have this happen…

Yet again this shows the state of Blizz vs the Community right now and why WoW is facing so many issues. At most it should have been a week suspension, seeing how in part it was because Blizz has allowed this for so long which made people think that it was fine.

…and yes, I’m aware that it’s against Tos bla bla bla, the issue is the ban length which is ridiculous.

10 Likes