Character model bans (Discussion, same as we had for xp abuse, not breaking rules)

I’m talking about something that happened in vanilla, not recently.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long did you do it for??

That was TMorph. What we used was something else to do with files only and not the program that TMorph used.

1 Like

I have a friend, that was also banned. But this was a permaban, for a first time offender. He did not even get an e-mail or an answer to why he was banned when he called support. Sure he used a third party texture changer. But again only he could see it. And it is hardly an exploit or a cheat, that deserves a permaban.

4 Likes

Ok babe but listen - when your friend uses a third party to mak himself happy thats one thing but whrn it goes against Blizz terms its another. Yes its trivial, yes it means nothing to most people but what you need to remember is this : Blizz want your love but on their terms :slight_smile: I love you unconditionally :heart:

Sorry for the many typos - I am horridly drunk, just found out that the company I work for isnt making me redundant :smiley:

4 Likes

The motivation of the ban for 6 months it’s because these softwares tend to change the code strings of the game client, that’s why the ban for this kind of things is so long.
Not saying that you friend did something to advantage himself, changing a model it doesn’t, but changing the code strings it could give you advantages over other players (you could technically even increase the size of the herbs and the ore mines, for example, other farmers will not see it but you will, and that advantage you).
That’s the motivation about these kind of softwares could net you a long ban, changing the code strings of the live client is against the ToS, you are playing in a way that’s not allowed.

2 Likes

Scarbrand is a horribly wise person and you should listen - most people are scared to post their thoughts - that really should change :slight_smile:

It is not about love, but what is fair. The punishment needs to fit the crime. A permaban for changing the model texture? For a first time offense?

2 Likes

You are right, expecially about “horrible” :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree! I understand wholeheartedly! You can call me a shill if you willo but let me make myself clear - If I disagree with Blizz I absolutely will say so and should I agree with them then the same will ring true - I’m a very open human who speaks the truth as its so less exhaus
ting than to lie

Punishments usually get longer with each ban… so maybe your friend isn’t being honest?

Good news for a change! Hope your head doesn’t hurt too much in the morning :wink:
:beers::wine_glass:

Aww! Thankyou :smiley: My head will hurt like hell but its ok, there is a fab reason for it but thankyou so very very much xxxxx

2 Likes

Something they have ignored for 15 years suddenly resulting in a 6 months ban is kinda bullsh*t, ToS or not.

7 Likes

I mean 6 month ban, for changing in game character models for yourself only is too much imo. its not damaging anyone elses experience, and only makes it more fun for person doing those modifications.
a lot of RPGs have MoDs and a lot of players make/use those mods - skyrim being the best example, at the end of the day it all serves to make ones gameplay more enjoyable.
regardless if blizzard was so hurt about people having more fun than allowed, warning would be enough, 6 month is too much - to put it politely.

they wouldnt need to modify anything if devs did their job and added proper customization for characters. HUMAN PIGGY TAILS HELLOOO??
but then again, one of the biggest expansion “features” were recoloured races with 1-2 new hairstyles.

secondly, those modifications werent used to gain any sort of adventage or anything of the sort, it was purely to HAVE MORE FUN (blizzard anti-fun policy says hi, when are they nerfing next toy cooldown btw?).

and again, if blizzard was against it, warning would be enough.
and to the people trying to act “smart” - no ToS is not a warning, its a book of rules to put it out simply.
warning, is warning, when you get a warning about something being bad.
like if you say something bad on forums, you get warning instead of ban.

12 Likes

Have people actually been doing it that long though really?

People were changing models in Vanilla. I was one of them. Not done so in years though.

2 Likes

I was just going to say, I find it hard to believe people have gotten away with it for years… I think it must be recent, people that have been using vanilla armor textures… many are saying that is what they did.

What is it that changed peoples armor textures? The same as that can change the models?

you could change models and stuff during TBC from what i remember. I remember seeing screenshots of silly stuff back then

Are you sure about that? I mean, alot of peoples tend to understimate what a model changing third part software could net you in terms of advantages. And many doesn’t even know that’s possible and they think only about: “hey, i can play as Alexstrasza!!!” or wichever model they want.

Not saying you are lying, but if this is really the case, you can occur the ban, i don’t think they will overtune it, but if it doesn’t really change any code strings, they could shorten the ban to a lesser time.

As said, it’s not something they will do for sure, these kind of things are against the ToS, but it’s worth to give it a try if you are sure of what you are talking about, try to appeal the ban with a ticket is free after all, Blizzard even have a page where you can get all the infos about how to do it :slight_smile: