Character screen and the huge delay in loading

This is happening to me as well.

No, it’s after you enter your username and password or click on “PLAY”. You get “Connecting” and a few more boxes then it displays your characters, that’s when it happens. Changing realm also does the same thing. It’s not after you press “Enter World”.

I also suffer from this every single time I log in. Character screen takes ages to load. ALos happens every time I ask to select a different realm.

i noticed this too. last 2 weeks it started. loading screens in general seem alot longer

I’ve just realised I haven’t reported this as a bug ingame yet, I will next time I’m playing.

This only happens to me when I switch realms, and I’ve never been able to find a fix for it.

It never happens when I first log onto my home realm so I don’t notice it unless I switch.

There is a short thread about it under technical support right now, please post in it to show it is more widespread than they might think.

I made a post about this: WoW freezes when switching realms/login

It works fine on the PTR but on live it freezes. I tried reinstalling, tried deleting cache, WTF and addons, tried disabling background apps - no change whatsoever. This is a problem on Blizzards side.

I’ve been having the same problem for 2-3 weeks now, and I contacted the DevTeam but as far as I can see, they don’t know what is causing this problem, they also are aware of this problem, and they suggested me to delete some of my programs that I had on PC (Like Discord, TeamViewer, SteelSeries Engine etc.) and all I could see is desperate moves, also they redirected me here to keep myself up to date if anyone finds a solution, which gave me the impression “Dude, I know nothing I’m doing right now, I’m just suggesting.” Sorry but that how you look like DevTeam.

Yup, have it since bfa.
This is a new computer and i had no add ons at the time.

I tried it with a UI reset and after a repair, the only thing I haven’t tried is a full reinstall. I even posted my task manager graphs in the Tech support forums post, it’s not my graphics card or my processors. They are not overloaded. I recently set my windows back to new install on another PC and it did the same thing. I think I’ll try a full reinstall tonight. Firstly without any addons then with.

At least the repair fixed my profession window lag.

Im afraid that will be a temporary fix.
But i take it you will report on what happens.

Yup, happening to me too. Since we had a wow wide problem of characters not showing at all in the end of legion I have had a 10-15 second wait on a SSD drive.

The past few days have been a 45-60 second wait.

I’ll wager that they’ve made some changes to the login server cluster (probably downsized them or reallocated resources) and they’re not up to spec for the requirements of the user base.

It is BFA quality. Masterpiece.

I have characters on 2 different realms, Silvermoon and Terenas. When I switch to Terenas the characters appear straight away, but on Silvermoon they take around 10 seconds to appear. This is on the character select screen of course. My assumption is that it has something to do with how populated a realm is (Silvermoon is high pop, Terenas is low pop), but I don’t know why that would affect the character select screen.

Did this weekend hasnt helped at all still laggs sadly.

Yes this started happening to me a few weeks ago. I just timed looking at a fully black screen for 18 seconds. The freeze also occurs when switching realms. There is a complete game freeze for about the same time.

Deleting the World of Warcraft/Cache folder temporarily fixed the problem, but now after a few days the problem is back. I might make a script to delete the folder every time I start the computer…

I have this also. To the point where the music even stops playing, the screen appears frozen with the bar not moving at all. I thought it was because i had an old school spinning platter HDD. But seeing how people with SSD’s are having this too i think it might be on blizzs end.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.