Check PvP - How to protect yourself and your Characters

Hello there,

I’m sure most people on the server are aware by now of a website called “Check-PvP”. The idea behind it, as far as I can tell, is that you can use the site to find and compare your pvp scores with other players. Sounds fun and benign?

The unfortunate thing about this system is that it can, and quite often is, abused in order to track down players and their alts for means other than originally intended.

Regardless of how this is justified by those who partake, this is quite literally a form of online stalking. An increasing number of people I know have become victims to this, so I thought it would be beneficial for folks in the wider server to be aware of how to protect themselves!

It all comes down to hiding your characters on the website, so that people cannot use it to stalk you. This is much easier done than you might think! And here’s how:

• First, find Check-PVP itself on https://check-pvp.fr/

• Then all you need to do is follow the instructions, as written on their FAQ page: https://check-pvp.fr/faq

(Sorry about the spaces in these links!)

As follows: ""I want to remove one or more alt(s) from my account:
It’s possible to remove alts from the characters displayed list on Check PvP. To do that, you have to :

1. Be connected to Check PvP website (Create an account if necessary)
  2. Go to “My account” page
  3. Click on “Manage my characters”
  4. Click on “Login to Battle.net”
  5. Allow Check PvP to access your BattleTag and World of Warcraft profile. (This information is necessary to know with which character(s) you can manage)
  6. Your character list (present on Check PvP) should be appeared, just check the box “Hidden” to hide them."

Now, it will probably be the case that most of your characters won’t appear on this list at first - Don’t panic! You can easily find them by first going to the Home Page, then finding the search bar on the left of the screen. Type in your exact character name, followed by “- Server name”, for example: “Happyfellow- Argent Dawn”. Then, head back to Manage my Characters, refresh the list, and they should now appear - ready to be hidden!

Thank you for your time in reading this, I hope this simple guide will help keep people safe from online trolling and stalking!

23 Likes

Oh? You know all the people who have been victims to having their alts found on check-pvp.fr? Name them.

28 Likes

I’ll wait eagerly for more revelations from you!

Edit: Ain’t nothing wrong with belonging to the neurodiverse community \o/

3 Likes

You should stop upvoting your own posts with alts like Obahar showed.

It’s kinda cringe.

3 Likes

You are all welcome to look me up on check PvP.

And weep at the alt count.

5 Likes

What did I miss?

Classic Simpsons is still timeless; I might watch this episode again!

1 Like

It’s actually a good episode, so go for it!

And to be serious a moment and actually engage in discussion. Of course people are free to/can choose to not let 3rd party sites have information & or hide alts if they like. I had Vixi’s forum profile on private for a while.

And while many (several of the people who have liked your post actually) have already proven in the past to have tried to do this(& failed) did so out of malicious intent, such as the orc I replied too, that’s not the case for everyone & some just feel uncomfortable with people checking their characters.

But I would personally say it is a bit of a stretch to call it online harassment when I or someone else looks up an altposter(usually one with weird & offensive takes) on check-pvp to see if the person is one of the usual suspect that normally does this.

8 Likes

If someone wants to hide who they are over some internet stuff they can stay hidden from my RP for all time I think.

5 Likes

Pretty much how I see it too.

EDIT: maybe we’re just jaded?

1 Like

I really don’t think people who want to hide themselves from being stalked ( by you, apparently ) are interested in RPing with you.

5 Likes

How even remotely close check-pvp, as a completely different platform, has to do with in-game harassment? I know it comes as a shocker to those many harassed you know, but report that to Blizzard?

5 Likes

nah hardly. Considering just how many malicious types I’ve encountered by now that operate this way I’m more than happy to just avoid them entirely this way.

Too many sad acts that want to act like an internet badass but then also try to sneak around any form of accountability of even the lightest degree.

3 Likes

You’d be surprised how many of these poor, misfortunate altposters take their OOC viewpoints and blatantly parrot them IC to the people they dislike, even when the guilds/communities they are part of blacklisted each other.

1 Like

Then they are welcome to stay hidden from my RP for all time.

I was actually joking!

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

1 Like

It’s good to avoid nasty people :+1:

1 Like

Cool. That’s the point. Why are you telling us?

You can also simply disable, through bnet settings, your account from interacting/sharing information with third party websites and programs

Not a fan personally of different platforms pulling data from whichever other accounts I have for their own purposes so I find that vastly preferable to giving some random french dude more of my data to make an account to quickly hide my characters with for whichever wacky purpose

14 Likes

That could work too!