CLASS SKINS. Yes or No?

Basically the idea is to make some visual changes for specific race/class combinations so they would fit lore: Draenei shadow priest, void elf holy priest, Dark Iron restoration shaman.

I think Taliesin’s video explains the idea well. However, I believe that despite being obviously inspired by certain race, they should be faction wide. So you will be able to play your tauren blademaster.

Taliesin on class skins

As for way of unlocking them, I would like questlines like night warrior one. Of course, some skins could have the same questline, like Priest of An’she and Sunwalker. However, from what I know, some players would prefer to make them reward from challenges like mage tower.

Also, to add some eyecandy and original content, here are my concept arts:

h t t p s://www.artstation.com/artwork/e04zk3

This is my attempt at Priestess of the Moon skin for night elf holy and discipline priest. Below you can see my comments to specific elements:

1. Bow transmog option. Taliesin spoke about additional transmogrification options for some race/class combinations. As priestesses of Elune were usually depicted with bow, it would be dissappointing not to get bow transmog option. I suggest staff to bow option as both weapons are two-handed.

2. Power Word: Shield. I wanted it to look a bit similar to Elune at Darkshore and Val’sharah.

3. Holy Word: Sanctify. I wanted it to be reminescent of Tyrande’s Light of Elune in HotS. I would like all Priestess of the Moon healing spells to be more greenish. That said, I am aware that they may look a bit too similar to monk’s.

4. Penance. This is inspired by druid’s Starsurge. Damaging abilities are meant to be a bit purple. This overlaps with balance druid but it is intentional. They utilise the same magic.

5. Archangel or Apotheosis. I want to replace wings motif with moons.

6. Holy Nova. This one is self-explantatory.

7. Spirit of Redemption. Loosely inspired by Maiev’s Avatar of Vengeance and Ysera’s spirit.

h t t p s://www.artstation.com/artwork/k4LRNK

This is my next class skin, Priest of Hir’eek. It is designed mainly for Darkspear troll balance druids but all Horde druids should be able to obtain and use it. I made this because Darkspear balance druid is a bit lore incorrect for now. Darkspear consider bird loa weak and they do not worship them. As Hir’eek is Loa of Midnight Sky who is actively worshipped by Darkspear, I thought he would be good source of power for troll balance druids. I know that he is “dead” and “evil” but loa never truly die and Hir’eek was once protector of the weak so he might redeem himself after fall of G’huun.

1. Moonkin Form: Batlike, yet inspired by Zandalari moonkin. I think it should be in bluish gray colour palette.

2. Lunar Strike: As Hir’eek’s uncorrupted priests have blood motifs aswell, I though his moon magic should be a bit bloody.

3. Sunfire: Loa of Midnight Sky shouldn’t use sun magic. However, his priests in both WoW and Hearthstone use shadow magic.

4. Starfall: Bloody stars.

5. Starsurge.

6. Solar Wrath.

7. Incarnation: Chosen of Elune: Basically more bones and some special glowing tattoos.

h t t p s://www.artstation.com/artwork/5843Jz

Another issue of my class skin project - Purifier. It was meant to fix the lore issues Draenei and blood elves have with shadow priest but I was heavily inspired by Scarlet Crusade. However, I imagine it being available to all priest races so you will be able to properly purify your foes on void elf.

1. Shadow Form: The most simple thing. Basically all purple things are turned golden.

2. Void Form: As in Void Form priest turns from purple to blue, I thought it would be nice to turn Purifier from golden to red. I am a bit afraid that looks too similar to mage with Combustion but priest is flying so we can see a bit of diversity.

3. Void Form: By the end of Void Form, likely due to Lingering Insanity, priest gets tentacles on his back. Angelic wings are obvious replacement.

4. Shadowy Apparitions: Turned golden.

5. Shadow Word: Pain: Golden again.

6. Vampiric Touch: Spells with longer cooldowns/cast times turn from blue to red.

7. Mind Blast: Enjoy extra crispy heretical brain.

8. Void Bolt: Matches Void Form.

9. Mind Flay: Holy laser. Whitemane in HotS uses similar.

10. Shadow Orb: Who doesn’t love glowing balls.

13 Likes

I’m all for them, Ion stated in a live Q&A that no more classes would be added as the current balancing is difficult enough.

I’ve always wanted a necromancer ALWAYS personally I think they should be a 4th gen caster Death Knight (I think thts the next generation of them) but if I get an option to turn my demo lock or any type of lock in to a necromancer I’d be happy. They could still be categorised as a new class they could still get a new sigil and I think it would work very very well.

It reminds me when the first death knight scenario was being thought of, originally blizz wanted you to do a quest and that character on completion of the dk quest would become a dk.

So it would work very well I think just make it a reward instead so then you can click a button next to all the allied races in character creation and boom there’s all your new classes (reskins)

1 Like

I’m all for them, Ion stated in a live Q&A that no more classes would be added as the current balancing is difficult enough.

Really, when did he say so? I wanted tinker to happen before class skins.

So it would work very well I think just make it a reward instead so then you can click a button next to all the allied races in character creation and boom there’s all your new classes (reskins)

I rather thought about making it changeable at the class trainer.

1 Like

I see whom you got tricked by, hue hue hue.
Please no more classes, they’re already doing a terrible job with the current ones.

4 Likes

I remember watching this video, where Taliesin talked about these. I thought it was actually a really good idea, where new character customisations could be implemented with little to no impact on balancing and require a considerable amount less to create then say, a new class or race.
I actually managed to watch the video the entire way through enjoyably, without him doing his usual routine of thrusting his tongue down the back of Blizzards trousers, forcing me to cringe quit.
I’d totally support the idea of adding these in game. The options for these would be limited only by the art teams imagination

1 Like

I am all for this! Give me my Spirit Walker shamans, Earthshakers, and for trolls Voodoo shamans

3 Likes

I agree it is a brilliant idea, but do they have the time? They said at blizzcon one year that they work on expacs way in advance.

1 Like

Only IF, they change the tooltips as well. Example -

Level 120 Tauren Sunwalker

If they do it, do it properly.

1 Like

Why would it need to be unlocked trough quest chains? We already have an proffesion wich only use nowadays is changing the appearance of spells. How about just adding a multitude of glyph sets instead.

I think in general balancing and making classes/speccs more fun/different to play would be more important right now.

Personally i would prefer to see either the tinker or new speccs become a thing.

Yes of course… They should stop changing classes mechanically, but rather focus on tuning, balancing, adding only what is needed… And also, focus on fantasy more, by adding class skins or something similar…

2 Likes

Obvious things like Sunwalker would be okay.
But if a shadowhunter troll would run towards me I probably couldn’t even tell what class is engaging.
Such things would better fit as a class&race specific title.

1 Like

We’d learn though after a while, same as we did when it was all new.

1 Like

It’s their fault. They rarely do something good at all.

Yes to that. Atm I will never make a tauren paladin because well, taurens are no damn paladins. Same goes for blood elf paladin. We do need more class skins that will complete said class race combos.

2 Likes

Yeah class skins would be awesome. The more options we have, the better.

1 Like

Same goes for blood elf paladin. We do need more class skins that will complete said class race combos.

I think making HD blood elf spells would be fine. In BC they had their own.

They can sell it on the store, they always have time for things they sell on the store. Lightforged priest customization - 20$, and so on. :wink:

They were said to not have time for six new races. We have allied races.

If it doesn’t allow for more rep gated content I doubt they will do it.

1 Like

No.
Once again those two bimbos of Taliesin are arguing for less content and shallower gameplay. The entire topic started off with “creating new classes is haaaaaaard, we maybe shouldnt want blizzord to work haaaaaaard”

Sorry, but this is a customization option at best.
Wanting this to replace classes is as unhinged as T&E usually get.
Soon they will be asking for cash shop skins to replace legendary drops cause we shouldnt expect blizzard to be able to balance items of such strength,
In fact, we shouldnt expect blizzard to make the game in the first place, we should just donate the money to them.