Classic Plus Story

We only do that with trees here.

But thanks for the push.

3 Likes

Old.

punts into horizon

2 Likes

Indeed. Punt-jokes are horribly outdated.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t feel like rewriting the existing lore is something good for the story. Regardless of how awful the actual one is.

It’s like having an alternate universe like WoD or the Warcraft movie. It’s kind of messy.

I think that a viable route they could take, would be to use Classic as an alternative route that told us stories that happened simultaneously to the main events that take (or took) place in the main game.

Like, expanding on what secondary characters did while the main arch of the story happened. Expand on parallel stories that took place on Outland when the Horde and the Alliance invaded the place, what the Zandalari did during Wrath, or how the cataclysm impacted other places in the world beyond Hyjal, etc.

Detach the player character from the faction, and give him or her an arch that isn’t tied to the Alliance, the Horde, or the main character cast.
That way, we can all play as “rogue agents” that explore other narrative routes that aren’t necessarily tied to the main plot that is showcased and has its spotlight in the main game.

It would expand on the adventurous approach, wouldn’t be lorebreaking to the point it confronted both games from a plot standpoint, and still would offer new and refreshing stories without rewriting any of the previously told ones.

TLDR: In short, create a new set of expansive stories that focused on secondary characters that acted at the same time as the main ones, and had the adventurers (players) adopting a different kind of role than the one they have in the main game.

Ps: not exactly what the OP suggested, but I do think this venue seems a tad more conciliatory in terms of story. And the basis for it seems somewhat similar to the one proposed.

1 Like

Now now. Don’t get all huffy.

Bloody ragey gnomes!

2 Likes

If you get puffy, I get huffy, lest it get stuffy.

1 Like

At the same time, there is also no defias left to oppose them. At least for a time. Stormwind put a bounty on VanCleef and he was killed, and only during the Cataclysm (a few years after Classic) would they start threatening Stormwind again.

Your idea to show the extent of the damage caused on the people of Stormwind during a period of strife and inner conflict is interesting, however it cannot be everlasting. Eventually history would just have to go with the flow, with Varian returning to Stormwind and taking his throne. It’s just natural. Unless you alter history in a significant way by having Varian die, for example. But I don’t really see the point of that.

Of course. But from the end of Classic that is still a whole addon away, even in the retail timeline. And the Defias are still a thing, as long as they still hold the King.

Actually, yes, I’d be happy with that. I don’t want to look at retail lore at all when writing this hypothetical Classic+ – lore. I don’t think killing Varian off is a particularly good idea, but leaving him a Defias-prisoner instead of splitting up his body and soul and making one half of him a champion in the orcish slave arena would be something worth thinking about, for example…

But more to your point, you’re right of course, we can’t milk the same problems forever. But we don’t have to rush their solution or claim that the organizations are done, when they don’t have to be, and they could still be used for an interesting narrative, either.

1 Like

…after looking into it some more… the Varian story from the comics is not really compatible with Classic, since it essentially retcons a few Classic storylines, most importantly of course the Onyxia story. So… I’d put the Comics on the chopping block, too, if I had the power.

2 Likes

My opinion, but wow comics make up one of the worst narrative collections the Warcraft universe ever had.
The game would be a whole better if Blizzard made all of them not canon. Most already are.

Wow never had what one would call good writing, but the comics are at a whole new level of bad. That’s how you end up with characters like Medan or Valeera.
They don’t know how to write them.

2 Likes

I think they are also the first time player achievements were given to lore characters, a malady that has only gotten worse during the course of retail. And I’m not just talking about some things given to Alliance or Horde champions hen both could play it, I can accept that, I can also kind of deal with big raid kills being given to big name characters… but why the heck would they choose to give lesser questlines like the Thandol quests to big names?

The comics feel like the devs’ wild RP campaign they played while questing through Classic, made canon for all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.