Classic RP vs Expansion RP

Do you think a lot of RPers will head over to Classic? If so, why? Or if not, why not?

I sure won’t. Regardless of setting preference, modern WoW has better graphics, more race options, vastly more item options, many more areas to RP in, crossfaction potions, transmog and so on. While some may prefer the lore of classic, modern WoW is objectively more RP friendly.

26 Likes

I’m a bit hesitant. The only reason I’d RP in Classic would be because of the old zones, structures and the current active lore.

It’ll have a community but I doubt there’ll be a mass exodus to it, not long term anyway. RPing back then sounds nice and it was but it can never be recaptured.

I much rather RP in vanilla because it was had the best narrative both story-wise and for roleplaying within.

11 Likes

I have to echo this, I certainly might give it a go. It’s free with your sub AFAIK anyway?

People have a super nostalgic view of what Vanilla was like. It has none of the convenience, graphical or player welfare advantages of modern WoW. I concede, the story may have been better, but this is outweighed by the innumerable areas it just isn’t as good in imho.

2 Likes

I won’t RP in classic. No new models option is a deal-breaker for me. Old Tauren models are just…ugh.

1 Like

Been playing WoW Classic and I found this Easter Egg.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/319404245260566528/580791453786046495/unknown.png?width=1200&height=676

What did Thrall mean by this?

9 Likes

Not really sure how to quantify this, but given there’s only going to be one (I think?) Roleplaying server, chances are there’ll be a concentrated community from the start that’ll probably chug along alright.

Doubly so if GMs also enforce the old roleplaying realm rules.

I’m sure there’ll be quite a lot of them, doubt it’ll be a majority of AD people, though.

I’ll stick to retail because it’s just better for RP and I don’t have time to level up high enough and then get the gear I want/need, haha.

I’m really tempted to make a character, but I can’t help but see a couple of very glaring issues we will most likely run into which puts me off. I’m especially worried about the feeling of being frozen in time. I am also worried about future events having a big impact on how people’s rp will shape up.

2 Likes

The “RP a younger version of your character and see how they develop differently” in one of the other threads caught the interest of the metaphysical part of my brain and ever since then the more I think about Classic the more enthusiastic I am about the potential RP there.

All the reasons people have already listed but mainly for me it will be great to go back to the vanilla world which was actually believable long-term without being stuck in wacky Cata eternal battles/elementals/ruin.

Also lack of added expansions (and their deteriorating story quality) may encourage player/realm-wide creativity in storylines. A smaller world means more chance of finding world RP. The list goes on.

I’ll definitely be trying it and hoping a sufficient population develops.

3 Likes

It’s retail for me. No doubt I will go for a jaunt through old Azeroth for the sake of nostalgic indulgence though!

Admittedly, I’d love a best of both worlds situation - Classic WoW with current WoW character models and customisation (barber shop, transmog, and so on).

It’s an unattainable dream, but it’s my dream nonetheless. We all want things we can’t have :frowning:

3 Likes

At first, also liked the idea of rping as a younger version of a character, but then it dawned on me how binding that would force you to be, could make roleplaying very boreing and also have some very annoying effects on other characters.

1 Like

Why not RP the current version of your character, journeyed back through time to stop Sylvanas before she can collect the infinity knife?

4 Likes

I plan on at least giving it a chance and trying it out. The idea of RPing an existing character or even a new one in a classic setting and porting over to retail appeals to me.

For me, the deal-breaker is the realization that Classic will be permanently stuck in time. It would be hard to maintain immersion as years pass in real time but it’s still supposedly the same year in-universe.

(I know that in retail, Blizzard has made a decision to have only one year pass between expansions rather than bind them to real time, but given that it’s a stupid-a$$ decision, I’ve elected to ignore it. Doesn’t really come up in RP anyway.)

You know what I think would be really fun? Starting a guild of new characters, RPing for a year or so then port it over to retail in like a time skip to see how everyone got on.

8 Likes

I’ll likely level a character for nostalgia’s sake, but I can’t imagine myself playing classic for long. The loss of all the convenient customisation options is a real negative point for me, even if the lore isn’t as bad as it is with BfA.

Though, to be honest, it will also depend on any big RP initiatives that might be launched on the classic server. If there is something good going on there that catches my fancy I’ll probably bite the bullet and suffer through the mechnical deficiencies that classic will have by design.