Classic RP vs Expansion RP

It really won’t be the end of maingame RP that has been implied in some chats I have seen.
We will probably see a small dedicated niche community form up, but most will stay, or main, here. Thing with Classic RP is eventually you will hit a wall. Or if they do let it advance, you’re always far behind.
In the meantime, the live game will at least have the decency to keep doing something stupid, giving us something beyond ourselves to respond to and consider the meanings of.

Personally, while there are things I wonder on for my characters, how they would be if given different circumstances… I do not fancy dwelling on the literal past.

I have to say, that is a big no for me. I already worry about prophet RP and such going out of hand. As well, a lot we have learnt from our universe that we now have to forget again.

Gotta agree with pullo, also a branch of new ways to Role Play opens, the Lore is less conjectural and beloved enemies make their comeback, i would glady get in there and stick to RP rules of old in classic.

I’ll be RPing in Classic and retail, at least at first. My current character (Clovus) can’t be replicated in Classic and I’m not all that interested in RPing a gnome or human warlock instead. That said, I think there’s a lot of potential for RP in a setting that won’t unexpectedly change according to the writer’s whims. One of my biggest complaints with retail is that the retcons or lore developments can sometimes make RP less about telling a good story and more about changing your story to adhere to the current lore.

I’ll play classic, sure. Will be nice to play it as Horde too (I was an icky human in classic, eew).

RP however is unlikely, I suspect like many, i just won’t have the time to split between classic and retail.

Probably, not sure about playing a younger version of one of my characters I think I’ll create a new character which would be easy.

Today for my book I created a Incubus character for my protagonist so it’d be pretty easy for me to make a new character for RP.

What I miss from Vanilla/Classic is really the fact that the world isn’t under some looming world-ending threat. There are many evil forces spread around the place, and it’s not the same 1 or 2 super-baddies that are breathing down our neck wherever we go. Everything is more localized and the global (cosmic in Legion) conflict isn’t there.

That said, I don’t think I will be RP’ing in Classic, for the same reason I don’t see myself investing myself much in it: I don’t want to backtrack and go back to a time where I think everything was better. I would rather have WoW progress forward and invest myself in what is to come, not what has been.

As much as the current story makes me want to cry, I want to focus on the future, and hope against hope, that things get better.

3 Likes

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Scourge
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Twilight%27s_Hammer
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Black_dragonflight
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Burning_Legion
and most of all…
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Topper_McNabb

I think there´s a lot of potential in Classic RP, but not because you can play younger version of your character or that you could to timetravel stuff, but because of themes that are no longer present in the game.

For example, factions are completely different. Horde is under Thrall and Forsaken are kinda weak at that point in time, which means you can do the whole “group of people who need to band together to survive” thing again. On the other hand, Stormwind is also quite weak and Alliance as a whole isn´t really unified faction in the same way it´s now. Big one here is that night elves still have Teldrassil.
And then there´s whole situation in Lordaeron. Scarlet Crusade RP has huge potential, because unlike with Argent Crusade/Silver Hand in modern times, you can RP Scourge being huge threat, yet still have strong presence in Plaguelands (it could be problematic on OOC level, with Scarlet mobs being high level, but life finds a way). On the other hand, Argent Dawn is group of people who do their best to survive in Lordaeron, not strong faction that rules much of the land. Lordaeron roleplay has IMO the greatest potential in Classic simply because of how different it is compared to now.

3 Likes

All of these are forces in a rather nascent, developing state in Classic, compared to the expansion in which they make their ultimate presence (Scourge in WotLK, Black Dragons/Twilight in Cata, Legion in Legion) and exists, like I said, in a more localized fashion or in “pockets”. So it’s not so much the fact that they threaten the entire world… yet, but rather the region in which they are based, because it’s on a smaller scale.

So in terms of RP, if I roleplayed an adventurer or just a Horde/Alliance citizen in Classic, I would probably be more concerned about the immediate dangers around me. Nowadays, it seems that every expansion requires a single theme that absorbs the attention of the entire world. For example, in Legion, I found it really difficult as a roleplayer to not acknowledge that the world around me might literally be ending. But in Classic, I consider everything more down to earth, more mundane. Sure there are demons and undead off in the distance, but there are also bandits and gnolls right next to my home.

1 Like

Kaldorei RP without DH’s or Ren’dorei going near Moonwells. Heaven. T_T

4 Likes

I mean, you can argue that.

Or you can argue that instead of a single threat you’re instead dealing with the black dragons, ragnaros, the old gods/qiraji, the Scourge, and the Blood God Hakkar all within a year.

One world ending threat vs. like…5.

Either the roleplay where my character has been established among my RP peers or return to the past and roleplay characters in that past. Both have their unique experience, but having a simpler quality of visuals and not being able to transmog will bug me. I will keep it at retail RP

Before he was the noble Dawncastle he was but a young Dusktownhall.

2 Likes

I personally won’t, I just feel like it’ll just be a bunch of guys seeing the future, in disgusting outfits.

1 Like

I was about to post in this thread but then the beta server went back up and now I’m in a 2500 person queue to get in and ceased caring about retail. CYA

I can think of a few themes of RP that will greatly fit in Classic(Generic military, low fantasy etc etc) and won’t be disturbed by retail’s over-abundance of constantly clashing RP themes

I just realised that people from servers like Moonglade will also come.

We MUST RP in order to keep the headcanon to a minimum.

2 Likes

Not sure if there’s going to be ‘a lot’, but there’ll certainly be a few - myself and a few friends at least. Fairly sure there are more than a handful of people interested in the idea (for different reasons), but we’ll just have to see how it goes.
Personally, how much I’ve been willing to dedicate to RP has generally depended on how much I’m ‘in’ to the game at the time, and I’ll certainly be more engaged with Classic than anything on Retail. That’s to say nothing of the position of the lore at the time.
Therefore, despite old graphics, less wardrobe choices and slower travel time, I’m actually more excited to work with those and see what can be achieved. None of these really seem like cons to me, and maybe I’m just being crotchety, but anytime I see folks moaning about not having Transmog or flying mounts or or yada yada, I can’t help but think how spoiled we’ve become.
Also, old Theramore.

I’ll be jumping in and trying it out yeah.

Like some others I played Alliance during Vanilla so want to play Horde this time around so at least I’m not repeating content.

The world and the overarching story is a lot more appealing in Classic than in current WoW, but I will miss some of the nice conveniences that modern WoW brings.