Communities feature is dead

I was excited about this feature because I wanted more interaction in the game and it started off great, but all the communities I’m a member of are now completely dead. The reason is because they quickly hit their 1000 member cap, but the leaders have no way of checking when characters were last online so the groups inevitable die.

6 Likes

For real, the game could update itself to 2020 social networking standards here.

For example, take the friendlist.
Each player has a friendlist. Among these friends, some are particularly participating in M+, raids, RBG, arenas, WQ, pet battles, etc. The game knows all of these features. So it’s very possible to describe any player by a vector of these features and put that vector as the label of its own node in the social graph created by the friendlists.

From there, you can use nice algorithms (there’s at least one in n log n complexity so it’s pretty efficient) to create communities automatically. And you can even decide the depth of the analysis, so the algorithm only informs you about people n hops from your node in the graph.
Clustering basically.

In normal english, that would mean, for example, that you could much more easily find new people you do not directly know but who are friend with a friend of a friend of … a friend of you and also participate a lot in whatever activity.

You could even add labels to the relationship between nodes of the graph that would represent the level of trust, for example.
So we could even automatically discover clusters of people who highly trust each others, even if they don’t know each other directly (based on the hypothesis that “I trust whoever my trusted friends trust”, basically).

And that would be even fool proof, because if a group of players would try to blacklist you by giving you a bad reputation through this social network, all they would do is cut themselves from you, without having a very strong effect on the rest of the community.
Basically: clusters of people who trust each other.

That’s the future.

Blizz should hire me. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I hope they do hire you because they need to do a heck of a lot more to make the game more social.

They will probably become more active in pre-patch and Shadowlands release, when a lot of the inactive people will flood back.

2 Likes

They get filled up with ALTS

Not true there are so very big and active communities still going .

1 Like

It’s is alive - discord took over it.
Still I prefer in-game options rather than discord.

4 Likes

To be honest you dont need a huge 1000 people .
I am part of the FF one with about 150 people and it is a lively chat with events that happen .
Bigger does not always mean better .

I made a private batttlenet ID based community to use with a selected pair of altoholic buddies, so we have a mean to communicate regardless of the toon, server or faction we are currently playing.

We put it on /4 and it’s our 4chat :upside_down_face:

All others I originally joined were abandoned sometime mid-BfA, because they either were deserted, or grew so big that joining any runs was just the same as pugging with random strangers.

Haven’t been part of calm keys for about a year after the leader went abit ‘carry me or you wont get in’

Zen Horde have had zero issues with

2 Likes

I lost interest because i couldn’t find any

1 Like

I really hope they make changes to the Community feature in Shadowlands to include this because I am in a big community and the only way to see if people are relatively active is to check their last log-out date on wowprogress and even that is not 100% reliable. Not to mention a lot of work to copy-paste usernames + realms, press update and/or check their armory.

2 Likes

I wonder if they intended to copy paste each of 1000 members on a third party website to see when they were last online.

is that the one with a guy who used to be on here but got banned or just quit??
i used to be in that community, but got kicked, fairly, due to my own laziness

The ones i mentioned are not filled with alts but very fun communities were you can feel safe and relaxed.

If you are not part of them please dont assume things its unfair on those who work hard to run them.

I was a member of a number of communities and they got filled up with ALTS.

Don’t assume to know my experience of the game.

You talk your truth, I’ll talk my truth, don’t tell me what I can and can’t say.

So you generalize then as you said “all filled with alts” which is only true in the ones you joined but which isnt true for the ones i linked very long term ones and well run.

blizzard is always few years behind in terms of social networking features and integration.

Did you know that raid finder feature existed since TBC? But it never got any traction, it was bad and no one was there to fix it. It was not until patch 6.2 when they re-shaped it into premade group finder, a much more useful feature that is being used extensively to this day (and completely replaced trade chat group finding)

You even quoted my post so you should know full well that I didn’t say that.

and how the hell do you think i could make any reference to the communities you linked AFTER I POSTED??

Seriously, why are you coming at me right now, you came into this thread after I had come and gone. I wasn’t talking to you or about you.

Time travel is not real you know…

Communities just need the same features as guilds have

2 Likes