Constant Crashes - The memory could not be “read”

I have same issues , crashing every 10 minutes or randomly when opening character screen… And also when tried to go to options crash happens :frowning: Sad.

I have the same issue. Crashes directly after logging in specific characters, reproducable, same error message as OP stated.
Big thank you @Vensq for sugggesting turning off “Advanced work submit” and “Optional GPU features”. That seems to work for me, for now.

There seems to be something wrong with the last patch tonight, something to do with any graphic function covered by one or both of these graphic options.

After this last update 11.0.0.55933 of this morning I have many crashes, before this morning I never had a problem and even less a crash with WOW and I’ve been playing WOW since Vanilla.

Progrm: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft_retail_\Wow.exe
Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at “XXXXXXXXXXXX” referenced memory at « “XXXXXXXXXXXX”
The memory could not be « read ».
ProcessID: XXXXX
ThreadID: XXXXX
It’s always the same problem “ACCESS_VIOLATION” and “The memory could not be read” but not the same numbers…

So the first crash appeared this morning when I opened the mounts menu and wanted to select the type of flight (dynamic or static)

Then another crash when opening the WOW map…

Another crash when I use the trading post menu and walking between the different items for sale.

For info I uninstalled World Of Warcraft and Battle.net, restarted the PC and deleted everything related to WOW or Blizzard via Regedit.
I installed WOW again and two more crashes, it’s starting to be very annoying…
PS: I don’t have any addons installed, it’s a clean WOW…
Thanks for your feedback…

EDIT:
Here my PC configuration:

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
Intel Core i9-10900X (3.7 GHz / 4.5 GHz)
32 Go (4x 8 Go) TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING - 1
1 SSD “Samsung 850 EVO 2Tb”.
1 SSD “Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb”.
3 SSD “Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 each”
ROG RYUJIN 360 Liquid CPU COOLER
ROG THOR 1200w Platinum
ASUS 34" ROG Swift PG348Q @ 3440 x 1440 pixels.
Windows 10 64 bits
Last drivers Nvidia: Version du pilote 555.99.

These Crashes started en masse yesterday on the US servers, and today on EU servers.

Cant you guys just backroll whatever update was pushed out with weekly reset?
Clear as day, that it’s not the end-client that is to blame.

And for the gamers out there; defragmentation, restarts of your rig, disabling addons, run as admin etc. wont help in 99% of the cases. It’s on Blizzards end.

3 Likes

Look at my reply above, disable the graphics options I mentioned and it should work fine!

I’m from EU and experiencing this issue too.
Seems to happen mostly when in user interface elements?

Access violation, the instruction at “0x00007ff7b548dfa6” referenced memory at “0x228”. The memory could not be read.
ProcessID 14472
ThreadID 13100

Can confirm, @Venq’s fix resolved it for me as well - running a 14700k and a 4070ti.

Hello,
Here the same problem since this new update and when I disabling Advanced Work Submit and Optional GPU Features in the graphics settings no crash but now WOW is just horrible graphics, my WOW seems working fine but not beautiful…
Blizzard please can you fix this problem ?

My PC config:
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
Intel Core i9-10900X (3.7 GHz / 4.5 GHz)
32 Go (4x 8 Go) TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING - 1
1 SSD “Samsung 850 EVO 2Tb”.
1 SSD “Samsung 850 EVO 1Tb”.
3 SSD “Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1 each”
ROG RYUJIN 360 Liquid CPU COOLER
ROG THOR 1200w Platinum
ASUS 34" ROG Swift PG348Q @ 3440 x 1440 pixels.
Windows 10 64 bits
Last drivers Nvidia: Version du pilote 555.99.

Ok, I disabling Advanced Work Submit and Optional GPU Features in the graphics settings no crash but now WOW is just horrible graphics, my WOW seems working fine but not beautiful…

1 Like

Hello again;

I disabling Advanced Work Submit and Optional GPU Features in the graphics settings no crash but now WOW is just horrible graphics, my WOW seems working fine but not beautiful…

Yeah the GPU adjustment mentioned above didn’t do anything for me. What a joke, paying for something and can hardly access it!

1 Like

Hi again,
So after few tests I’ve disable “Optional GPU features” and since few hours no crash meet.
But the rendering and graphics are more poor and they are ugly.
So when I disable “Optional GPU features” these next graphics options are OFF:

Anti-Aliasing —> OFF
Multisample Techniques —> OFF
Multisample Alpha Test —> OFF
Ambient Occlusion Type —> OFF

So yes with “Optional GPU features” OFF I have no crashes but my WOW is downgraded and not beautiful.
I hope that for the official release of The War Within Blizzard will be fix this problem because I don’t want begin TWW with a WOW is downgraded and not beautiful.
I play with WOW since Vanilla and it’s the time that I meet this problem and it’s not normal to downgraded and not beautiful just for get around this bug who appear since this last upgrade from today.
Thanks…

1 Like

Hi again,
So after few tests I’ve disable “Optional GPU features” and since few hours no crash meet.
But the rendering and graphics are more poor and they are ugly.
So when I disable “Optional GPU features” these next graphics options are OFF:

Anti-Aliasing —> OFF
Multisample Techniques —> OFF
Multisample Alpha Test —> OFF
Ambient Occlusion Type —> OFF

So yes with “Optional GPU features” OFF I have no crashes but my WOW is downgraded and not beautiful.
I hope that for the official release of The War Within Blizzard will be fix this problem because I don’t want begin TWW with a WOW is downgraded and not beautiful.
I play with WOW since Vanilla and it’s the time that I meet this problem and it’s not normal to downgraded and not beautiful just for get around this bug who appear since this last upgrade from today.
Thanks…

Hi,
I had the same issue since this morning. Thanks for the tip with the graphics options.

What I realized just now is, that from my 2 accounts, only the one with the War Within Upgrade kept crashing.
Same B.net account, same Addons (of course also tried disabling those), same settings, etc…the one on Dragonflight runs like a charm, the one with the Upgrade kept crashing.

1 Like

Try this: leave your Optional GPU features on, but reset your rendering slider to 100%. I think they messed smth up with SSAA. Worked for me

1 Like

Hello,
A great thanks for your explanations, please can you tell me where I can find the rendering slider ?
The rendering slider is just under the Resolution of the screen ?
Also when you wrote “leave your Optional GPU features on”, I must enable together “Optional GPU features” and “Advanced Work Submit” ?
In advance a great thanks for all +1

Hey folks!

Just chipping in to say that your reports are being looked into, and with another possible workaround that should not require disabling the “Advanced Work Submit” and “Optional GPU Features”.

In short, resetting the Render Scale for the game to exactly 100% may in some configurations prevent crashes related to this specific situation without the need of disabling any other option.

I can not guarantee this to be working - or to be optimal - in every single scenario, but may help with the loss of graphics quality that some may notice when disabling Advanced Work Submit and Optional GPU Features :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello,

thank you for your reply, I am glad that this issue is being reviewed! I´ll try to reset the render scale as you suggested and I´ll report with the outcome.

EDIT: Tried re-enabling everything. Set the rendering scale to 100% and seems like it works aswell. No crashes so far, but we´ll see

1 Like

I can confirm turning ‘Optional GPU Features’ and ‘Advanced Work Submit’ off resolved the issue for me.

I havent tried the render trick yet tough.

Hi all,

Just tested Felnarys advice right now and it worked (so far, i’ll update tomorrow if it crashes again).

As soon as I put the render scale at 98% like I used to do it crashes so i guess I will now set it to 100 for now.