Constant Crashes - The memory could not be “read”

Thank you for this I am fairly confident that this will solve it for me.

My frame rate has been tanking lately. One dungeon had me running at 30 FPS. I have disabled all addons and ran a full suite of stability checks for memory, CPU and GPU separately. All confirmed that it isn’t a hardware issue.

On coming back into the game and setting rendering back up to 100% (from 81% previously), I am seeing my FPS go straight back to 90 fps. I lock it at 90 as my resolution is 5120X1440. The game feels smoother also. It seems you have a driver communication issue. GL sorting.

EDIT:

I have been playing for close to an hour now with no crashes.
And, FYI you can set render scaling to whatever in Nvidia drivers. This is working very well for me. Set resolution to what it is without scaling in the game. For me that is 1440p, and then use the adjustment within NVdia 3d programme settings. You can set scaling for WoW solely.

@Vensq - Worked beautifully, thank you!!!

2024 and I have to fiddle through a game’s settings like back in the '90s with all non-Blizzard games…

So guys if I do have my rendering scale set at 91% going back to 100% should first of all improve visuals but also remove that annoying bug/crash we all have been suffering since the morning correct?

I started these tips to unchecking these advanced graphics options for compatibilty things. Disableling the rendering one did it for me after I also unchecked 2 others. What I also noticed (in my case) is, after disableing a few, is a 10 degree temperature drop of my computer. Before this my computer felt like a furnace. Now its just warm. These settings seems to kill your computer also. And unchecking these did literally nothing for the visuals and I didnt noticed anything for framerate whatsoever. So choice easily made I would say.

Why are these even checked in the 1st place ???

I have been playing for close to an hour now with no crashes.
And, FYI you can set render scaling to whatever in Nvidia drivers. This is working very well for me. Set resolution to what it is without scaling in the game. For me that is 1440p, and then use the adjustment within NVdia 3d programme settings. You can set scaling for WoW solely.

Exactly this. Smth with in-game rendering is messed up, but if you want to play in 4K for example, use nvidia drivers settings. Worked like a charm.

EDIT:
After today`s patch I tried setting in-game rendering slider back to 200% and crashed almost immediately :smiley: Still not fixed then

The renderscale has been bugged since season 2 patch.
I have been posting this for months now, still not working as it used to (as it should).

As soon as you set it to less than 100% your framerate will suffer, which is the opposite of what its purpose is.

For example, setting it to the minimum of 33% drops my fps by about 20 on a 4090.
This is in valdrakken all while being cpu limited.
So something is really off with the internal scaling.

Also going over 100% has an unproportionally high cost, so even with a 4090 i can’t really use it to enhance image quality.

1 Like

This seems to have fixed it for me. So far atleast :slight_smile:
Maybe make this a sticky?

Well what can I say, also 4090 here, played for so long with in-game rendering set to 200% and never had a single problem. Crashes started for me yesterday, when Blizz messed up smth :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Felranys,

as i already explained in an answer above and also in several other threads, the renderscale has been “broken” for at least 5 months now.

Here are some screenshots i just took on live servers for comparison and to show what the actual problem is:

1. Valdrakken: native res 1440P with 100% renderscale, ~109 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/valdrakken-100-percent.dAB6vcB

2. Valdrakken: renderscale set to minimum 33% FSR (853x480p), ~89 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/valdrakken-33-percent.dAB6U91

3. open world: renderscale 100% (2560x1440P), ~310 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/plains-100-percent.dAB6V99

4. open world: renderscale 98% FSR (2517x1416p), ~166 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/plains-98-percent-fsr.dAB6Xwu

5. open world: renderscale 33% bicubic (853x480p), ~193 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/plains-33-percent-bicubic.dAB6G87

6. open world: renderscale 98% bicubic, ~167 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/plains-98-percent-bicubic.dAB6Wue

7. open world: renderscale 150% (3840x2160), ~137 FPS
    https://freeimage.host/i/plains-150-percent.dAB688P

Analysis:

1, 2: lowering resolution to 33% from 100%; Valdrakken

Expected result:
increase in FPS when not CPU-limited, when CPU-limited as is the case here, FPS should stay the same but GPU-load should drop massively.

Actual result:
While GPU-load does decrease, the FPS also decrease by about 20% (from 109 to 89).

3, 4, 5: lowering resolution to 98% and then 33% from 100%; open world

Expected result: same as 1 & 2 but less CPU-limited.

Actual result:
Massive FPS drop just from reducing resolution to 98% and thus activating the upscaling process.
310 to 166 FPS, almost 50% loss in FPS.
33% shows lower GPU-load as expected but still over 30% FPS loss.

6: this serves just to show that the selected upscaling method does not have any impact on the FPS loss, no matter if bicubic, bilinear or FSR, same results, so this is not an FSR problem as some people have suspected.

7: this shows that even going above 100% (supersampling), is affected by this “bug”.

One can clearly see that the GPU is only at 77% load and not fully utilized even though there is no CPU-limit (yet) as the 5800X3D can prepare 310 FPS for the GPU with the same settings at native res.
Supersampling is to be expected to only load the GPU not the CPU, as is upscaling.

So it seems to me that there is a huge CPU-overhead when moving the renderscale from 100%, which should not be.

Also a reminder, the renderscale was working as intended before that patch months ago.

Hopefully this problem can be resolved with the TWW release.

I don’t seem to have the crashes but i was just flying around a bit for taking these screenshots so i can’t really say if it’s stable longterm.

It’s unusable for me anyways like this :yum:

Since you also have a 4090 and i assume a potent CPU, you are bruteforcing through this bug but are still having alot less FPS as you should.

You can just use RivatunerStatisticsServer or another OSD to show you the GPU-load etc, then remove any FPS limits and see that your GPU is underutilized even with Supersampling at 200%.

2 Likes

so i did have problem on 14900k on asus hero z790 corsair 6600, so i instald new bios set all to intel spec normal and forced 253 wat and did force 307 wats, samed bios and got to win, game crashed a loot, memory fails and so on. then i did read that some game us intel etu, and downclock performance ratio from 57 to 54 and let it run it the background, well now i play the game no problem, so try download intel etu and just reduse your core ratio and try play the game, se if it helps, did help me

Same,only had that once or twice since sod came out but it started to get worse about 1 or 2 weeks ago now.
Pretty much 2-3 times a day.
Yesterday wow completely froze for a few seconds before the crash, never saw that before.
13900k btw -.-
Also, my render scale was at 200% set it to 100% now, let’s see I guess…

The problem is Intel CPU 13 and 14 gen

1 Like

I had this exact issue.

I fixed it by turning off the setting “Multithread Rendering” in the Graphics Options. Originally, I disabled all the “Compatibility Settings” but after some playing around, this was the only one that gave me problems.

Not true. I have WoW installed on two other computers, i7 7700 with gtx 1080ti and i9 10900 with 2080ti, game crashes on both rigs when setting render slider anything different than 100%. Never before had any problems with this game on any of my 3 setups until yesterday. It`s on Blizzard side.

1 Like

Does it crash instantly?
Also don’t forget that renderscale performance is broken, you loose FPS instead of gaining. Keep it at 100% till it’s fixed… in a year or two maybe :smiley:

new pc and having same crash ; Pc isn’t even month old.

Using nvidia DSR to play in 4K :wink: Not touching blizz rendering, they can gtfo :slight_smile:

What am i missing here, DLDSR only runs in fullscreen mode which wow does not have anymore🤔

DSR, not DLDSR :wink: you can choose older scaling in DSR factors

I totally forgot about that, have to give it a try tomorrow :sweat_smile: