Cosmic Void for Priest please

Please, please, please Blizzard!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OGDl9k

Give priests this cosmetic spell effect please!
The whole Old God-esque visual is way too strong and leaves no freedom for interpretations of how and what Shadow Priests align with.

A fallen Naaru becomes a being of pure void, not an Old God monster with tentacles and whispers. Let priests tap into that side of the medal, please. Let us be the void casters who truly harness the light and anti-light, juggling between these two forces.

If there’s a class that deserves that cosmetic effect, it’s priests, and Shadow Priests in particular. It makes sense with the lore, branching out from the Old God visual and bringing a specialization that was born to be a void/shadow caster to its full potential.

Do I need to spend all my 3000 tender coins for it? I’ll do it.

Do you want me to do a tedious quest that I most likely won’t be able to complete until the next expansion because I’m not skilled enough? Fine.

Whatever it is, I’m happy to jump on it and do it, but this is the most fitting aesthetic I can imagine for a void caster. It checks all the boxes and also taps into an unexplored side of priesthood in general, being so close to the Dark Moon spells from Tyrande…
Also, it is really similar to the colorization that Penance gets after Shadow Covenant, can we expand on that?

PROS:

• It’s more in line with the Naaru cycle of Light/Shadow. I could easily see a Draenei or a Lightforged playing with that than actual Old God thematic spells.
  • It’s completely in line with Void Elves but also Blood Elves in general. They both have nothing to do with the Old Gods but heaps of interest in a new type of magic. The difference would be that while the Blood Elves only harness the power, the Void Elves fully embrace it, getting what they need from it rather than the Sunwell.
  • For Night Elves, if the light could represent the light aspect of the moon, this would easily fit the Night Warrior theme and the darkness of the night.
  • It offers a completely different look than the Old God/madness theme and is more generic and focused on the core of the shadow power rather than some lesser minions.
  • There are already creature models in the game that could be used to replace the tentacles/faceless ones. Also, there is already a glyph for Mindbender and Shadowfiend

Please Blizzard, I do think this is one of the nicest spell effects you’ve ever created. And honestly, it fits so well with the shadow/void theme of priests that it would be a big miss to not use it.

Worried about arena and PvP? Just add the rule that for PvP, all spells will be showcased with their normal effect. This shouldn’t be that hard.

If you like this idea please like it or bump it somehow. If the devs are really checking players feedback we can finally start getting what we want!

12 Likes

The search is bringing up no results - just put the link in preformatted text (the </> option above the text box) then one of us can post the image.
(As a SP I really want to see it :D)

1 Like

here you go
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OGDl9k

And edited the main post for all :wink:

7 Likes

Thanks a lot! You can’t deny how gorgeous this looks! :smiley:

1 Like

This does look gorgeous, ngl.

Looks more like something an arcane mage would do over a priest tbh. Kinda reminds me of archon form abilities from diablo 3.

I disagree. If we look at similar spell from previous expansion, void as always been represented by a deep blue/black tone. There are heaps of references, if we look at the spell animation from the K’thir priest in the BfA they all have a similar tone. This is obviously more rendered and up to date, but all previous example tend to separate from the purple tone of the normal/oldgod shadow effect as Shadow and Void, although part of the same family, are just different family of that cosmo. Shadowform used to have a bluer tone too, I remember the raven priest from the Scarlet Onslaught, which were more void related rather than old god affiliate.

The reason why I think this is a great opportunity is because it looks so different from the current shadow aesthetic and more inline with the void caster that used to be represented by shadow priest back in the days.

I would say goodbye to disc in a sec for this!

Thanks, Puny. I tried to share it but it told me it was forbidden to be copied or something …

1 Like

Looks great yea, the last beam reminds me of the Azerite Essence Kamehameha beam from BFA

Can someone move this to the Priest section? I just realised I posted it on the general thread

I prefer SP allied with Old Gods power. I mean the whispers the purple tentacles, plague, all these vampiric spells look more like evil Old Gods style. Especially with fear and stun and root cc. That cosmic void looks really insane not gonna lie. But I mean sp are like heralds of Old Gods whispers and cosmic void isn’t really that evil and devilish like Old Gods imo.
Maybe we need some special void spec for this dope style, cause shadow priests can be locked on shadow magic school.

Oh, it looks gorgeous, but lore-wise…
Honey, I love you, but the void in WoW ain’t pretty.
Except you like fleshy things, but that is personal taste. So, I ain’t judging.
Also, it looks kind of arcanish. Maybe you should have gone with a nether mage.
That would have made it even more classy.

Nether witchcraft is a warlock thing.

Chronicles vol 1 describes creation of the universe as eternal fight of light and darkness, where in their final most powerful clash 2 entities shattered each other, darkness became the omipresent dark void and light became an infinite amount of shards among the darkness - the stars.
Also making void - massively inspired by Lovecraft piece of lore to look cosmical is very lovecraftian in spirit

Yes, but more twisted nether. You know the demon aisle of the nether.

Undeniably it is Lovecraft inspired, but even in lovecrafts version the void is still very fleshy. Well, existence is very fleshy, but in the lovecrafts version of the old ones the void is the space between spaces, but it is also another layer of existence.
What your point at is that the void section of the nether.
The nether the all in one part of WoW universe.

Got some nice reference i would like to add to this. In the latest cinematic for Tyr, the void creature is actually using cosmic void. It’s not the purple tint we are used to.
You can notice that on the cage trapping Tyr and also on the cyclone upon is head.

I don’t mean his description of other dimensions, I mean that essentially lovecraft’s “verse” is mostly about fear of unknown, and biggest source of fear for him is space, cosmos, what resides within this black “voidness” with many little lights known as stars. His whole mythos play around cosmical beings that can’t be perceived or understood by our monkey brains, most noticeable work that plays with this theme is “color out of space”.
In all instances that we’ve seen nether looks very space’y but without Eldritch vibe, more “evil dimension” vibe

I never really understood what a plague have anything to do with Void and Old Gods? - it is more like an unholly DK thing :roll_eyes: