COVENANT abilities in Dragonflight that doesn't fit with CLASS theme

there are multiple covenant abilities that just doesn’t fit the class thematically… like

• Soul Rot (Warlock),
  • Shifting Powers (Mage),
  • Adaptive Swarm (Druid),
  • The Hunt (Demon Hunter)
  • Blessing of Summer (Paladin)…
    those all have animations that fit with the covenant, but not the class…

many people disliked it even for shadowlands, but there was the excuse that somehow it’s because you’re in shadowlands and you are tied to the covenant… but now the excuse has passed and this anti-thematic abilities just feel wrong…
the effects aren’t usually that bad, but the visuals just doesn’t fit… as well as it doesn’t make sense to have Shadow damage as Druid or Nature damage as Mage / DH…

14 Likes

I would always really like to see a rebrand of the carried over abilities. Bonedust Brew is a terrible name beyond Shadowlands, and Faeline Stomp is just a big electric blue… thing… It looks horribly out of place with the rest of the monk spells.

7 Likes

Yeah, these two are definately other great examples.

Reworked: Soul Rot: Color: (Blue old) new Dark Purple.

Reworked: Shifting Powers: (azure old) Ice ground (frost)/ Flames (fire)/ Arcane leylines (arcane)

Reworked: Ferocious Swarm: (Necrotic Green old) Either a swarm texture or lime.

Reworked: The Hunt: (Blue old) Fel Flames.

Reworked: Blessings of Faith:
(Blessing of Spring old) Blessing of Altruism
(Blessing of Summer old) Blessing of the Crusader
(Blessing of Autumn old) Blessing of Devotion
(Blessing of Winter old) Blessing of the Righteous Knight.

Reworked: Stormsout Brew (Necrotic green old) Honey/Beer yellow/Brown

Reworked: Nyu’zao (or how the black yak celestial name is wroten) Stomp: (Blue old) Black with a small tone of Yellow
if you guys make me notice more i can update this list of ideas of how to change the covenant abilityes to match :smiley:

1 Like

How does rotting the soul of your targets not fit the theme of a spec that uses soul shards to cast spells that agonize their enemies’ souls, and that literally has a spell called Drain Soul?

Soul Rot is one of those covenant abilities that actually do fit the class, and especially affliction.

i think that whisperer meant more of the color, the theme of the ability i think it fits preety well

2 Likes

Ah right. I missed that part.

Yeah, they should change the name (except if it’s actually appropriate for the class/spec) and the visuals, and maybe add a glyph later that changes it into the Covenant theme.

Rogues shouldn’t be reprimanding anyone with white sparkly magicks or throwing bone spikes with swirling sickly green miasma, for example.

Same with hunters and weird miasma chakrams or whatever.

1 Like

i had an idea for a new thread…

Convert this to shadow damage and change the spell colour/animation and it would be more fitting.

1 Like

i made a new thread with a bunch of idea to how change the abilityes to look more in theme with classes ^^

1 Like

I think this one still doesn’t fit feline theme of feral cat.

1. Visually.
  2. Nature-spell school.

oh yeah just noticed it is Feral only -_-, Reworking on it, thought, not too sure what it could turn into. Unusless it’s something like a swarm that applyes a Red Bleed effect…

You’re persistent. I’ll give you that.

Perhaps you could explain how commanding a swarm of insects is NOT in keeping with a class that’s in tune with nature?

They could do with making the animation fel green, but outside of that the clue is in the name:
Demon HUNTer.

1 Like

Soul Rot, Shifting, Adaptive Swarm, and The Hunt would be okay if they simply swapped spellschools and maybe slightly recoloured animations for those. The first two fit their respective classes if not for the fact that they’re nature spells, balance druids used to have an Insect Swarm and The Hunt is quite literally Illidan’s Heroes of the Storm ultimate.

1 Like

We are getting covenants in DF? :frowning:
Where can i get my money back.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. What Whisperer is talking about are the covenant abilities they moved into some talent trees.

2 Likes

some of the covenant abilityes are in the new talent trees, the rest of sl is gone (tho the rep at renown isn’t that bad of an idea if account wide…)

Thanks! My heart stopped for 2 minutes.

I did.

1. It doesn’t look like Swarm of insects. It looks like some necrolord themed effect.
  2. It does Shadow damage. That kinda doesn’t make sense for insects, does it?
  3. Insect Swarm etc. is something more of Balance Druid ability.

My two points were visuals and spell-school. You failed at addressing both my points and instead chose to argue against name, which was nowhere raised as an argument.

For Balance Druids yes. But for Feral even Insect Swarm doesn’t feel very thematic.