Covenant quest in azeroth?

to my understanding, our characters stuck in the shadowlands, and yet we get covenant quests in azeroth.
whats up with that ?

Our Characters can move freely because we have a unique bond with Azeroth as far as i understand it.

There’s a portal back to our capital city, and back. We’re in no way stuck in the Shadowlands.

1 Like

as the game told us, freely between the maw and the rest of the shadowlands.
most who fall to the maw cant go back.

seems many can move between Azeroth and shadowlands, or even other planets, Draka who is in Maldraxus even has gone to other planets, even if she died and was sent to shadowlands.

1 Like

was she on other planets before or after her death ?

because if she went to other planets after her death, thats just bad writing.

1 Like

She did leave the Shadowlands after her death, indeed. The Kyrians leave the Shadowlands all the time to ferry souls to the Shadowlands. Agents of the Jailer left the Shadowlands too, otherwise Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination would’ve been kinda troublesome to get to Azeroth.

or kidnap, Baine, Jaina, Anduin and thrall, would have been impossible if they could not leave shadowlands.

1 Like

Think of the Shadowlands as a place in cosmos, rather than a mode of existence. In principle it’s no different from the elemental planes or the nether. It’s not some heavenly realm, unconnected to anywhere else, it’s just the respawn point for mortal souls. Possibly even an artificial respawn point.

That way it would work. If it weren’t for the pesky detail of it being all about “the mode of existance”.

Is it? It’s how itw as sold to us, sure, but BfA was sold to us as an all-out faction war, solving the open faction storylines, so… I don’t see why that would matter.

1 Like

Isnt this still known as Nathrezim having their hands in that business ?

Yet, souls were traveling between the Shadowlands and Azeroth for a long, long, long time. (Kyrians ferrying souls being the prime example)

We merely happen to be the first people who travel there while still alive. When traveling to other planets, or other timelines - someone has to be the first. In Shadowlands, those firsts are us.

Possibly. Someone still had to travel between Shadowlands and Azeroth, though, because those two items were forged in the Shadowlands by the Runecarver.

1 Like

What’s the point of selling anything if you’re just going to do something completely else. Or if you didn’t think about implications.

I mean, yes, the point is to offer more shinies for people to collect, obviously. It’s just weirdos like us here who get a bit particular about details.

Looked more like the blueprints were stolen from the Runecarver’s mind, and then someone else made the things. Otherwise, one’d need the RC to craft the latest “mourneblade” too, and by that time, that’d have caused some direct encounters of the third kind down there in that room, since by the time that one has been crafted, we’ve been all around the place already. Of course part of me wishes for a plot point that “just stealing blueprints and trying to craft what they’re for without the skill of the one who actually made them makes for an imperfect product”, but another part of me wishes such acrobatics were not necessary to keep the plot together.

Now, of course, I’m still going to say that “be purposefully vague and only fill in the details later when we actually figure them out” is not the kind of story I like, but, that’s what we get in the end.

1 Like

Still, they were made in the Shadowlands, so it had to go to Azeroth somehow. And the Kyrian have been traveling back and forth anyway. If the rumors about the Nathrezim are true, then we’re not the first ones alive to travel to the Shadowlands, either. The dreadlords do not go to the Shadowlands when they die - they go back to the Twisting Nether. So in order for them to get to the Shadowlands, they pretty much have to be alive.

There is the speculation that the Nathrezim are actually Shadowlands-native or at least Shadowlands-created (especially since You’ve got Sire DeNATHRius in Castle NATHRia; which may be a complete red herring or way too on the nose - so I’m hoping for red herring).

But even so, if we’re going the route that the Legion was just another entity that the Jailer has manipulated to his own ends, come next expansion the power creep will demand that we see the true villain that has manipulated the Jailer. And then, the true true villain who steps from behind the curtain and repeats the “HA-HA! You thought they were your main antagonist, while it was truly me, pulling strings from beyond the shadows!”

That’s the problem with power creep; once you start it, it’s really difficult to stop.

1 Like

“Subverting expectations”.

Is it, though? I mean, they have no problem sending us out to do menial labour for anyone who asks between killing gods. While it certainly doesn’t exactly feel fitting, we accept it. So… if we already have these ups and downs in the power levels of the content, why would we have to top the last ups each time? We can go from fighting a Jailer to fighting the Great Quillboar Lord. We do it all the time. And the drama is not in the power level.