Crash on character log in screen. Same crash on multiple PCs. The memory could not be "read"

Dear Technical Support, community,

I am opening this topic, as I am being ignored for 3 weeks, only getting automatic answers for my tickets. Please read the whole topic, before answering.

Since the release of version 11.00 three weeks ago, I have been experiencing constant ACCESS_VIOLATION errors when entering the character selection screen on my account TICHYAD27 (EU).

Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at “0x00007ff72ce54d0b” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000004”.
The memory could not be “read”.

The same error occurs on both my desktop and laptop. I tried on different computers as well and my Account TICHYAD27 (EU) keeps crashing on Character selection screen (see the attached file). The computer is not the issue, the same error was experienced on 5 different PCs.

This issue is only with my account: TICHYAD27 (EU), as this problem does not occur when using the Starter edition (WOW EU or WOW US).

I have followed all recommended repair steps, reviewed multiple support pages addressing this issue, and had a 3 independent technician examine my PC as well my laptop, but nothing has resolved the problem. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM ON MY SIDE!

I have been playing WOW for several years without any issues until now. In current state the game is not working for me.

Could you please assist me and help me to resolve this issue.

Once again this error is encountered on multiple PCs, only with my main account. Please do not send me answers with the standard answer: update your drivers and so on…

Thank you very much.

4 Likes

I am still getting this on multiple PCs and multiple accounts.

I’ve had fresh wow installs, reinstalled fresh windows, updated drivers, no-addons, etc. Nothing has made a difference.

Wow crashes for me as well. Hasn’t done in years. No other games affected, I get no errors just hangs and waits for wow to resume, it doesn’t so have to force close. All updates done, I’ve disabled all add ons, and repaired. Only happened since this week.

Have a look on us board, see if any fixes.

I’m having the exact same issues.
Didn’t realize it actually only exists on my main account, but that I can now confirm.

Reaching out to Blizzard has been no help, they just give you automated responses.

I was really super hyped for TWW, but seeing that I can hardly play the game, and it’s completely random when I get to even login, it’s kinda killed it abit.

I’ve also tried all the usual stuff.
So anything I could suggest, would be complete and utter guesswork.
I’ve had success just leaving the launcher open for abit after scan+repair (1-1,5 hrs), and then try to login.
Keep in mind this might just be random as hell too, and shouldn’t be needed.

I have no faith in Blizzard reading this stuff either, but thats my 2 cents.

Posting for awareness.

Update to this issue.
Try this:

1. Login to your “Starter Edition” account. Stop at the warband screen.
  2. Click “<Back”
  3. Login to your “Main” account.
  4. This should now succeed and bypass the violation errors

I’ve been able to replicate this result 5+ times now, and it’s worked everytime.

I’ve been having this same issue just since today’s maintenance. When I try to start the game it crashes out on the Character Loading screen before any of the graphical assets load in. This happens every time without fail.

I have tried:

• Completely uninstalling & reinstalling WoW
  • Updating my VGA driver
  • Updating my BIOS
  • Turning off xmp profile
  • Turning off intel turbo boost
  • Updating my chipset drivers

Deleting WTF folder lets me load in once, but if I close the game and try to get in again it just comes up with the same error.

E: Spamming Enter World before any assets get to load in the character select screen also works kind of consistently without deleting WTF folder.

E2: PARTIAL SOLUTION: The bug is caused by a FLAIL weapon transmog on one of your favorites warband character. Remove the mog and the character from your favorites list and you shouldn’t get the bug anymore.

I have exactly the same issue. Same error.

Things I tried so far:

1. Updating Nvidia driver and rolling back to previous one
  2. Uninstalling and reinstalling WoW
  3. Deleting Interface and WTF folders

Seems to load in once after deleting the WTF folder, but then just crash again on the next launch.

Edit: Just to make sure, the OP is correct, I also tried spamming “Enter World” Before any assets were loaded on the character select/warband screen and it lets me in the game without further issues.

Edit 2: If stopping the login by hitting Cancel when the client launched and simply waiting a couple seconds and then login again the game also launches perfectly fine for me. These all seem like workarounds though.

1 Like

I’m getting the exact same experience. Mashing the enter world button skips whatever is triggering the crash. Once I’m in-game its fine.

Got same problem her …

Hey guys, since this afternoon I had the game crashing after starting up and as soon as it hit the character selection screen it would crash. Everything was fine this morning after I logged in to the game 1 time after a small update.

After spending the entire day trying to fix it (saving you with the stuff that I tried) Here is the solution:

The issue is being cause by a character in your Favorites warband screen equipping a flail transmog/weapon, in my case the paladin mage tower transmog. Yep thats is. If you remove the character from your warband favorites screen it fixes the entire issue. Do make sure to put another character back into the warband screen, else it will just put back the same character on your next login, breaking the game again.

Now how do you get back into the game to fix this, cause the game crashes before getting the chance you might ask. Delete your WTF folder in your wow data folder. SADLY THIS WILL DELETE ALL YOUR PERSONAL SETTINGS, but it gives you a 1 time chance to get through to the character selection.

Shoutout to the US forum: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/exception-accessviolation-the-memory-could-not-be-read/1921923

3 Likes

I made this post after having the same issue and finding the solution on US forums, so posted one on EU aswell. Try this

1 Like

Can confirm. Had the same issue. Thank god you localized and solved the problem so quickly. Its hard to be a paladin nowadays :smiley:

Damn thank you. Had the same issue for 2 days and removed my char with the mage tower flay transmog from warbands favorites and now it works.

Having the same problem with one of my characters having the Warrior Scaleshard flail appearance transmog. Definitely related to the weapon.

It is indeed the flail this is insane. I have a paladin on my favorites with a legion artifact flail transmog. removed it from the list and no more error.

I just had a similar thing happen, i was just doing pet battles and got disconnected, when i logged in it failed to load any of my characters, its now working thanks to your method.

Can confirm the Flail also worked for me! Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

A couple of us had the same issue, not sure if related or if it counts for any of you in this thread, but it seems to be related to any Flail weapons or transmogs. In my case it was my Paladin Legion artifact transmog. Removing the Flail wearing character from the favorites screen fixes the issue, or just using a different transmog also seemed to fix it.

Hey man!
Had same issue (yes was legion flail weapon for pally) - I was able to do it without reseting WTF - I just logged in and before texture of warband loaded I spam clicked the place on right side of screen where my pally was so I get ingame and replaced weapon. Maybe it will help someone :slight_smile:
THANKS A LOT YOU SAVED MY TWW LAUNCH!!!