Current state of Pug loot

There is just no way someone in blizzard is paid to think of this system.
This is probably the 19642nd thread about personal loot.

It is really not cool having people with +20 ilvl needing on an item that is certainly not their bis, being able to roll on a piece of loot that will never be used and just dusted.

What is effin disgusting is being able to set your loot role on something else and needing on it as if you were that role. A pally with Diurna’s ring/440 dps trinkets won a roll on Rashok’s Molten Heart today, winning just barely over me (healer). I won’t even mention his overall ilvl gear, just that he had a crafted 447 2h with a spark (biggest sign that he wont ever heal).

Now all that complaining certainly wont generate traction, but I am certainly in awe of the design choices for loot that have been chosen for this expansion. Just add ML, fix the interaction with manual loot role change (just make it like if you were off-spec needing on it, even if you have chosen the loot role for the item), and bring back personal loot.
There is just no reason to remove systems that have worked. Different crowds prefer different systems, so just bring them back and let RL choose it.

2 Likes

I am getting more loot per run than ever. Long gone is the curse of only getting belts over and over, for months on end. I also find this highly more enjoyable and interacting when things drop - there is the item, the rolls, the tension. It in itself is an experience worth the loss of the ‘hidden roll in the background, here is your random loot, enjoy’ experience - that had no interactions with the other raiders at all.

Now I get my fair chance to roll on items that can even drop as duplicates - so mutliple chances to get it even. Not to mention if you raid with a team, targeting items have not been easier in a very long time.

I am sad that you were unlucky on your roll, but at least you had your fair chance at it. I am happy that so did the guy that got the item in the end.

The only reason you feel robbed of an item, is because you think in the mindset of having lost an item you never had to begin with.

I am happy that so did the guy that got the item in the end.

I just saw another person say that healers/tanks should be able to roll on dps items (trinkets were in question), because “they might have use in m+”.

Like, how do you people even think this way? You play a certain role in an (somewhat) organized setting, you should be getting the reward for THAT role. Not for another. Not playing tank cuz it simply wins the queue. Even if i was beaten by multiple people on the roll, the fact that a person who WILL not use it and should never be able to roll on the item is what triggered me.

The system may have its benefits, as to your point on perceived fun/tension on the roll, however the negative sides far outweigh the feeling of joy when winning a bis item.
Targeting items you say? The items that drop have no targeting, no composition taken in mind, it simply drops from the loot table. You may not even have a person that uses the item.

Keep in mind im talking about Pugging (as is per title).

You hit the nail on the head on some points. Like yes - indeed! Bosses can drop items that noone will need, yet you can also use this very function to aim for the loot. Indeed, DPS trinkets are used by tanks and healers alike - that is the game, in truth they are just trinkets more than anything. If you are simply DPSing because there was no tank opening, should you not be allowed to gear your main spec - hmmm? Sounds quite unfair to me.

I get that and why you feel like you do, yet I don’t agree. In my head, as a PuG, one of the mindless masses - you have put it on yourself as one to be against the many by default. If the other PuGs bring friends - why shouldn’t they use that to increase their chances to get loot distributed among eachother. Why shouldn’t they try to grab everything they can - you would and should. PuG life is not fair. PuG life should not be rewarded systematically by any means, in my opinion. In the end, most things will be solved by leaving that world behind - and that is probably one of the intended goals of this ‘fair unfairness’.

If you do not want to live in a world where someone takes an item to sell it to the vendor for 60g, over you getting it as a BiS item - you need to go premade. Because, in all fairness, that other guy will have a lot more joy of those 60g than he would have of you getting your BiS. Him rolling was as such a good thing, for him. Would be good for you when you got those 60g as well.

Bit on the nose and inflammatory - but it will get my opinion across on the matter. The system is perfectly fine, it works as intended and is actually quite fair. It is balanced in matter of fact. ‘A PuGs tale, warnings of the fair unfairness of the loot system’, got a nice cling to it.

Are you playing pug? Because if you are, you are either masochistic and/or insane to think that system is a good way of handling randoms.

Not everybody is able to play within a schedule with others or likes to do so - in fact most of the players across games nowadays are solo or in small parties. The system being gamed (the scenario where people that dont need the item roll for it to give it to their buddy) is far from what is sensible, and there is no way that is intended. In the case of personal loot, you getting an item you dont need and giving it to a friend before a random is fine, because the item was dropped for you and you do not have another choice (disregarding the 60 gold or dust). Needing for it to boost your friend’s chance is trash design. In a case where I’m rolling solo for an item alongside 4 other randoms, I have 20%. Any of them have 20% if they are solo. However, if there is a duo, that duo has 40% of obtaining the item, and this is where the loot system breaks. Frankly at this point just give me ML and the old school ninjas every now and then that will be blacklisted. It will be far better on average.

1 Like

DPSing is part of being a healer.

Ilvl difference this big implies that a person won’t be able to need an item of a lower ilvl, the button will be inactive.

I highly doubt you are a fortune teller and can tell for sure whether the item will be used or not.

Said who? Blizz are allowing people to gain gear for different spec and not to bound them to a single one, yet you are saying that if one chose a role, they must stick to it to the very end. Really?

You could have given it for everyone to roll (if you wanna be a decent human being so much, behave accordingly).

That’s… not how the system works. I mean, in comparing to PL, the chances to get a personal item are the same as to roll it now.

Mate you post some pretty funny stuff, as on that other thread with the transmogs, so im gonna reply seriously to the serious stuff.

1 Like

“Mate”, your pity whining about other people “stealing” items you think belong to you is what’s really funny.

1 Like

And… healing is part of a dps’ job to stay alive? Should they be getting the healer trinkets then?

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious you are unaware that healers wear dps trinkets to m+ in order to make the run as smooth as possible. Now try doing a key with dps wearing healing trinkets and see what happens.
But, if dps are thinking about a possibility to swap to healers, yes - they should roll for these trinkets as well.

1 Like

The problem is that because of one thing being useful, the reverse is also possible and HAPPENS. This is what i was telling the other guy - the good parts don’t negate the bad parts. And for those cases - thats for top 0.1% players that play that content. The healer that does that will not use it as much as the guy that uses it all the time on his character, because his character(dps) was meant to make use of that item.

Have you tried doing keys with a healer that’s doing 0 dps? Have you tried doing a key with a DPS that’s healing instead of DPSing?

And there’s nothing terrifying in this, since no one plays a single role all the time in this game (except for some super dedicated ones). Today I’m a healer, tomorrow I wanna switch to dps and look - I already have dps items to do so.

Brings back memories of a druid on twitch who did ~0 dps in high keys. Can’t remember his name…

raider . io/mythic-plus-rankings/season-df-2/all/world/leaderboards/3#content

All these healers with dps trinkets…

Not sure what that is even supposed to mean.

Paste the link, remove the empty spaces and check the healers’ trinkets. I could see only two beacons in the main page. Maybe on a versa stacker i can get it, but man, are you guys talking out of your asses.

:thinking:

I’m seeing damage trinkets on them. I could go on and link even more but cba over some guy on the forum going “lol they healers, shouldn’t use damage trinkets”.

The thing is with personal loot you can still set yourself to your off-spec role and win out on the loot lottery. Is it any different if someone rolls need on his off-spec loot (that he set as his main) or if personal loot does it to him?

In the end if you do not allow people to set their off-spec for specific bosses then you are unnecessarily reducting the player pool who sign up for raids. The main spec in my raid group is tank, so I have little chance of gearing my MW spec within our guild raids. If I sign up for a raid I sign up with two roles that I can do (DPS and Tank) but I will mainly be there for a few missing pieces and healer loot.

Why should I be restricted to only tank role loot when I sign up and the raid lead decides that he wants me to tank, not DPS? I will just leave the group then and look for another group.

It is unfortunate that you lost a roll to someone’s off-spec, but then how do you know if they do not use their healer spec at all? What if they are main spec healer, and joined as a DPS to have a day off from healing?

This is something that comes with the territory when you pug. At the start of the patch I was doing vault first boss runs for the firering, and ended up losing it to a BM hunter who has little to no ways of proccing the fire effect. Was I disappointed? Yes, but he won it by roll fair and square, and there is nothing that I can really do about it. Live goes on.

1 Like