Date of birth

last night when I log in I was asked to put in my date of birth. I have never seen this since 14 years. Is this a new feature. I tried to google it first but couldn’t see anything about it. Does anyone know what that’s about?

1 Like

Given this information is in your account, its odd to say the least. Presumably to check its who you say you are and not a reflection on the player base?

I am sure the well known duo posters here will provide the answers shortly.

1 Like

Ya see. it has me wondering because they already have my DOB. Apparently it was to improve my gaming experience. The only thing I can think off is that I mistakenly had two game windows open. with one logged out. I got a bit impatient with this computer here.

Battle net asked me to confirm my date of birth when I logged on this morning.

My guess would be so they don’t push ads for older rating games at people on the launcher, but you’d have thought it would be smart enough to know you’ve already given that data previously when setting up your account.

2 Likes

I had to do it this morning too. I think it said it was too ensure content suitable for my age was shown to me so, yes, what Puny said.

1 Like

There is stupid laws where if you show age restricted content over a certain age you need to ask for people date of birth. There must be a game coming out or has been put on the store that has made Blizzard have to do it. It’s the same with steam they know my age and have to ask my age when I go to view certain games store pages. Weirdly enough I didn’t get asked on bnet yet.

The law is dumb, Like a 10 year old kid doesn’t know how to lie about a date of birth.

1 Like

Glad to know it was not only me. I was suspicious about maybe getting hacked or something. cheers guys.

I don’t think it’s for age restricted stuff. You could go straight to the shop and look at CoD games without confirming your age. I wonder what happened if you put the wrong date in?

Edit: I just tried on another battle.net account I have and nothing happened when I put in the wrong date.

1 Like

Same thing on Steam. They are only olbiged to ask for a D.O.B, They don’t have to follow it up, None of them do. On steam I just pick a random date before 1990 quickly to bypass it quick without thinking.

So thats the reason its been storming all day :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Players from the UK may have been recently asked to enter a Date of Birth if there was not already one entered on their account.

This is related to the UKs Age Appropriate Design Code, you can read more about this at the bottom of the Parental Controls Support Article here.

You may also notice slight changes to Settings in the Account Management or receive a notice about Social Settings in some of our games.

I’m pretty sure I entered my date of birth when I registered my account.