DCs, lag - part II

Since I am not allowed to reply to my previous topic… I had to create a new one. Not an ideal system, maybe?

OK, so I talked to the ISP, which said that everything looks great on their end and still decided to reset equipment and send a team to verify everything. All is well, all configuration is good according to them, they actually did take their time and look through everything they could, but just couldn’t find any issues. Which I can’t truly fault them for, as it is ONLY WoW that misbehaves and DCs, nothing else.
After the reconfig/equipment reset, I thought things might be fixed, as yesterday it worked fine for a few hrs. But today I’m on my 3rd-4th DC already. Same as usual - game starts fine, 40ms latency, all works great, and after a while I either get DCed randomly or I see lag starting to occur, and the “World Latency” goes to 800ms or so, usually followed by DC. Alt-F4 and restarting the game, back to normal…

What else I can do to troubleshoot and pinpoint the exact issue? Any steps I can take, even if more technical? It’s getting frustrating not being able to play on my main connection, which is wired, optical, fast and stable… until now.

Thanks!

Hello, fellow Digi ISP user! I have also created a thread on this - I get insane lag spikes that force me to restart the game. Haven’t found a solution yet and still waiting for a reply.

Link to the thread I created: Lag spikes fluctuating from 5s to indefinite - #7 by Atomique-twisting-nether

1 Like

Sounds similar. Tried everything too, including new cable, which did nothing.
Lucky I have UPC/VodafoneTV too, which works normal for me, just a bit higher latency. On Digi/RDS&RCS it can be unplayable, although I did had a full day of the game properly working.
Gotta find a way to troubleshoot to the exact root cause.

Yep, totally get it. There are times when it works just fine, and all of a sudden everyone stops moving, but weirdly enough, I can still use the chat. Wish there were some other troubleshooting steps to be done. But it’s weird that it’s only happening while using our ISP.

I might have stumbled into the cause of the issue. Not 100% sure, need further testing and confirmation.
Are you using our IPv6 service from Digi? Try disabling it. I’ve disabled it in my router and the connection went from 40-45ms to 28-40ms and it seems stable for hours.
This makes some sense as the VodafoneTV/UPC connection is IPv4 only. Also adding the VPN which is stabilizing the Digi connection is making it IPv4.
There might be issues with the IPv6 routing somewhere, dunno if it’s Digi or Blizzard at fault, but do try disabling it in your router and return with a reply after you get DCs or stability for hours?
Thanks.
Edit:
Also potentially functional and might work: changing DNS servers, trying Cloudflare’s now, replaced Digi’s both IPv6 and IPv4.

It seems that IPv6 routing is disabled on my router and I didn’t find any other IPv6 options. I’m kind of a noob at networking.

Never used other DNS servers, so I’m not entirely sure how to proceed. Will research a bit on it and let you know.

Thanks for the tips!

OK, don’t bother with trying to change DNS, I got a DC with Cloudflare’s DNS on IPv6.
You should test if you have IPv6 capabilities on one of the few available tests online. Might be a coincidence, but for me it looks stable on IPv4. Maybe, hopefully, fingers crossed, as it looks like we’re not getting any steps to troubleshoot this properly and find the exact cause, so it’s impossible to tell with certainty what’s going on.

Another edit:
After some long weekend hours of playing on the weekend I can say with some high certainty levels that IPv6 is the culprit.
I know for a fact that IPv6 from this ISP worked flawlessly in 2017, around summer, as I only played with it for many months.
Something changed these last 4-5 years that made IPv6 unstable. Seen some other posts too.
Maybe Blizz customer support can look into this further?
Thanks!

Thank you for the reply, really appreciated! I haven’t been around the PC since the last time I could reply, so I’ll have an additional look to see if any IPv6 related settings are enabled on the router and/or PC and hopefully it will fix it for me as well.

1 Like

Turning off IPv6 in-game seemed to work for me too.

1 Like

That’s most definitely more convenient than turning IPv6 completely from the ISP, will do that myself.
Forgot to even test that ingame setting as I went directly in the router settings.
This should not be a thing though. I played exclusively on IPv6 for a year or more in the past without a single DC.

Disabled everything IPv6 related on my PC/router and issue is still here for me. Never had the IPv6 setting enabled in-game, so yeah, idk anymore. I’ve disabled the “Optimize Network for Speed” option, this is my last hope.

LE: Aaaand that didn’t help either.

Connection issues can be tough to solve due to so many factors involved. You might have other issues on top of the IPv6 problem. I’d keep that disabled and start the troubleshooting steps with MTR and everything else, send them to support.
Sadly basically anything can be at fault, from a bad box from Digi, to a heating router/ONT, to some local infrastructure problems, bad drivers/OS configurations and more.
Try using a VPN on top of your connection out of curiosity. There are a few free ones. You could also try to switch to another connection from other ISP if you can. You should have a phone Internet too, try sharing that to your gaming PC.

Maybe I’ll try some other stuff that go through my mind, but the fact that literally nobody from the support staff cares to reply to any of the threads is amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like

As an update - I gave up and canceled my subscription. Maybe through some random changes in the future, this will stop happening when I’ll enable the subscription again. Hope this issue is still fixed for you!

1 Like