Demonology in Shadowlands

I’m really struggling to understand some decisions behind this spec.

Like for example why are they so stubborn to give us a bloody baseline silence. Instead we get a super clunky and unreliable one baked in axe toss. How the hell are you supposed to properly interrupt anything with such a slow travel animation?

Why the hell did they make summon demon 6 seconds? Our demons are super squishy. What’s going to stop someone from killing your demon in PvP over and over and make you lose half your damage and utility, or having it die in the middle of an encounter and having to stand still for 6 seconds to summon it back again?

These can be fixed so easily as well. Just give silence baseline, it’s already a PvP talent and in no way is it going to be broken in PvE. Revert the summon time of summon demon, literally no one asked for that.

Not to mention how weak we are going to be AGAIN in PvP. I love the idea of a summon class, but the ramp up time to deal some meaningful damage is just too slow for it to be of any relevance in PvP.

Makes me think there is just one dev behind these changes and is doing whatever the hell he wants without proper discussion with other devs or even with the community.

Why do you keep on beating up an already weak spec? Having one spec of the class be good is no excuse to abandon the others.

We all pay a lot of money to play this game, every month and every expansion. Is it too much to expect every spec in the game to be at least viable in all content?

13 Likes

Agree. I think at this point its about class knowledge. They don’t have any or very little experience with Demonology.

Like as you said about that silence. Demonology in m+ is disadvantaged because of this and ppl were asking about baseline kick for so long.

And this is what they added. Just give Felguard kick or add it to spell book.

If you can, avoid Demonology. Its waste of time. They don’t know or don’t care.

1 Like

Problem is, we as a class and as a spec have to talent some things that are baseline for the others.
Interrup - you have to get it from the talent, every one else DPS have an baseline interrupt.
You wanna have spell reflect - you have to talent into it.
Personal mobility - you have to get this trough the talents.
Burst - you have to get it trouhg the talent (consumption) without it, your burst is laughable.

And if we taka a look at interrupt - it a talent, that gives you interrupt, just an interrupt. If this ability is locked behind the talent, then maybe it should be something greater then just a puni interrupt?

5 Likes

Yep when some talents are a must in every type of content, you know something is wrong.

I keep thinking about why they won’t just add the silence PvP talent as baseline to our kit, and I just can’t think of a reason not to. It fits perfectly with the theme and it is just what the spec needs. In no way will having a silence, which literally every other DPS spec in the game has, make the spec overpowered. I just can’t understand why they are so stubborn about it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately demonology will be trash, worst than in bfa which was already a bottom trash spec.

I manage to get 2k4 as demonology and I can tell it was very hard and painful, there is close to no way to beat people cause our game play is to slow/trash/do 0dmg and burst can be completely shutdown easily.

Demonology need a rework to bring it to the same level as every other spec in the game, but they refuse to do it.

5 Likes

Honestly, what the hell are they doing with demonology?! I cannot believe they did not give it any attention in shadowlands…Please blizzard fix it before its too late to do it.

1 Like

They fixed shadow, made some work on Rets Shamans, ferals, affli. And Demonology yet again will be outsider. Great work blizz, you deserve such low paychecks.

What I really want is a talent option in the last row to compete with consumption, where instead of summoning a tyrant you transform into a demon just like it was before Legion. It would give us a bit of a different rotation and it would be better for PvP as it would require less ramp up time if implemented correctly. Not to mention it would include an ability which everyone wants back.

Stumbled across a video of demonolgy in WoD and it reminded me how bloody amazing it looked, and also how certain spell visuals, such as demonbolt, looked much more impactful and cooler than they are now.

MoP and WoD was truly peak class design, especially for warlocks.

6 Likes

MoP and WoD was truly peak class design, especially for warlocks.

This so much.

6 Likes

I love demo in MoP, also the Demonbolt from wod is still better than the one we got now…
I want my demo back!!!

1 Like

Should have just kept demonic fury resource system, change it to soul power and the amount of soul power used on a summon decides if its either an imp or a pit lord. This would give a lot more playstyle options depending on situation, 5 soul shard combo point system is extremely limiting and boring to play around.

And I am godawful tired of being a lousy imp summoner, me, the most powerful warlock on azeroth limited to dogs and imps, such great spec fantasy right there.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t agree that they made all the 3 specs use the same 5 soul shard system.

I miss having demonic horns forming on my head with the more demonic fury I had.

4 Likes

I never liked the Impfrower style, the Unholy DK feels more like a master Summoner than the demo lock.

It makes no sense that we need Shards to Summon, we should be further skilled than other warlocks.

2 Likes

I tend to agree that the summoning of swarms of expendable minions fits the Unholy DK - hordes of undead to terrify and overwhelm the target - much better than the warlock.

As Warlocks our demons are an expression of our power, if you look at all the warlock interactions in the game (especially those related to our Legion campaign) then the common thread is power.

For Demonology there is no better expression of that power than having a mighty demon under your control - we get a brief Tyrant window every minute or so. Having played both Demonolgy and Destruction it feels like I get more Infernal time than I do Tyrant time (especially with the “best” Azurite essence choice causing an Infernal to proc every so often but not the Tyrant). It would be nice to see major demons as part of the main Demo rotation rather than just on a cooldown.

Honestly metamorphosis makes complete sense from demon hunters, as they are “demon hunters” they should not become demon. Demonology warlock are masters of demon as they can control them. It makes complete sense to have metamorphosis back to them.

I think the master summoner can work, but they need to change a lot.

First no shard for our perma demons.

Second not 6 sec cast time, only 2,5.

Third Fel Dom instant every 3 min.

Fourth no masses of imps via Hand of Gul’dan.

Fifth HoG instant, 3 imps.

Sixth Summon Wildfire Imp is a talent.

Seventh dogs are instant, it makes no sense that we need to cast for 2 stupid dogs. Also only 1 Shard.

Vilefiend baseline 1sec cast baseline 1 Shard.

More cc options via demons, like the Jailor or a big demon hand holding your target.

Where are all those cool demons we saw in Legion? We just Summon a small amount of it.

2 Likes

At this point I feel like they won’t do anything to demonolgy at all because destruction and affliction are in a decent spot.

Even if they actually decide to do something to it, it will be just minor changes, as it’s too late for a rework now.

Their logic seems to be that if one spec is good, then the whole class is good, which is just ridiculous.

1 Like

They don’t care about us. We are eye candy spec, that drags attention of new players to the warlocks and nothing more.

2 Likes

It is mit to late they just need to change everything back to MoP for the demo.

2 Likes

And what about all the legendaries and conduits? They’d have to remake all that as well and have time to rebalance the spec to modern WoW.

That’s sadly not how it works, can’t just flick a button and we’re back at MoP demonolgy.

There are minor changes they can do however to make demonolgy feel better and more viable, such as giving us a proper silence and an instant demonic tyrant summon, among other things.