Did Sylvanas cheat in the Mak’gora?

What the title says.
Without looking into the whole Maleficient speech that came afterwards, did she beat him fair and square? Or because she used magic, it would count as cheating?

1 Like

Did Gul’dan win his Mak’gora with Durotan in the Warcraft movie? I think the answer should be the same.

Mak’gora rules are not consistent.

Sylvanas had poison or void empowered daggers. Saurfang had a weapon empowered by the holy light also.

There was a set of rules that said you can only have one weapon enchanted by a shaman in mak’gora.

Seems that the rules of mak’gora are no longer set in stone. It’s more like two people duel and as long as they fight each other they seem to not care on who uses what.

It’s the same thing in the Wotlk Thrall vs Garrosh. Everybody in Ogrimmar saw the duel and Thrall was throwing lightning bolts all over the place and yet nobody (not even Garrosh) called that cheating.

If we were to stick to the old rules both of them cheated but Sylvanas cheated more(both cheated on the weapon rule but Sylvanas also cheated on the magic using rule).

6 Likes

I don’t think it matters. To me, it was made abundantly clear that she could have ended Saurfang at any moment, with barely any effort at all. She wrecks him at the begging and easily parries all of his counter attacks in an obviously mocking manner afterwards. The only time he manages to land a lucky blow is when she thinks he has been reduced to a single weapon, but had secretly split the sword into two when his back was turned to her. At this point, she just decided to crush him like the insolent bug she believed him to be.

The entire thing was a mockery and she treated it as such.

8 Likes

Did Sylvanas cheat in the Mak’gora?

Yeah. Yeah she did.

Hell, people argued and Blizzard eventually confirmed that Thrall cheated in the Mak’gora against Garrosh in WoD, and that’s why Thrall was losing his connection to the Elements (or some crap like that), and that was a very similar situation.

I don’t think it really mattered in the end, because Sylvanas already torpedoed herself with her silly little tantrum, so even if she had killed Saurfang with her daggers - though at that point she might not have, Saurfang was getting his steam up and if you’ve played Warrior for any length of time you know you need to build up your Rage meter to dish it out - she’d still not really have much ground to stand on with the loyalists… well, ostensibly.

Gul’dan in the movie blatantly cheated, and then when he was called out on it he killed a bunch more people with his magic to establish dominance. That’s why Gul’dan is awesome and Sylvanas is lame. Sylvanas just immediately dropped any pretense even though she probably could have recovered just fine with the right words - crowds are always dumber than the people that make them up.

2 Likes

One dagger. She dropped the other one. According to the rules seen in Cairne vs Garrosh, once you drop a weapon, no picking it up.

3 Likes

To be fair, the movie gave more emphasis to the set of rules to be followed in said event. Not even weapons were allowed.

Ingame, the rules seemed more lousy.

Even if both scenarios are obviously designed to mirror each other, I think that the setting is very different in term of judging what’s “lawful” in said confrontation.

If that’s your premise, I don’t really understand what the thread is about. If the rules are unclear, cheating can’t be determined.

Cairne vs. Garrosh was the only “orthodox” Mak’gora we’ve seen, where all the rites were observed (as far as the participants were aware, at least), so who knows what rules apply in a fight where both of them start with two weapons, neither of which are blessed by a Shaman, and neither of them are wearing nothing but loincloths…

4 Likes

I would want to see this in CGI. Would make for an amusing end of the war cinematic.

3 Likes

No, I’m asking people’s opinion.
If we had clear and definite confirmation regarding what’s lawful in said duels, what’s the point debating it? We would all know the answer.

1 Like

Every time it comes up there always seems to be a negative opinion or consequence for those that do it in the lore.

So even if there is no “law” regarding the use it does seem to be -very- frowned upon at the very least.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I want to see topless Sylvanas in full glorious HD… or do I? I mean, with Calia’s new model, Blizzard seems to think that undead tiddies are supposed to be appealing, and not creepy…

1 Like

Actually Magatha “blesses” Garrosh’s weapon. But yes that has been the most accurate traditional Mak’gora we’ve had.

Opinion… on what the rules were?
Or opinion what it felt like to us, independent of any rules?

The first question would seem totally useless, and really nothing we could reasonably debate.

Concerning the second question… using some dark magic powers that the challenger didn’t know she had because she kept it hidden and starting the duel with conventional weapons and then switching halfway through seems like cheating.
Even more, totally unneccessary cheating since she already proved that she could easily overpower him.

3 Likes

Guess that was just her final way of saying “F*** your honour” before flying off.

Opinion about whether people think that doing stuff like this:

Is cheating or not.

Edit: I for instance, don’t think that keeping certain ability a secret is cheating per se. Now, the nature of said attack, in the context of Mak’goras ingame, seems like something more subject to opinion.
Quoting Eddard Stark, I understand if someone would want to keep their fighting technique a secret.

1 Like

Finally, a chance to use this gif.

https://gfycat.com/forsakenjitterydeer

1 Like

It’s more like keeping an additional weapon that will be used a secret, though. In a duel, I think that’s cheating. Really… if that isn’t cheating I don’t know how it would even be possible to cheat without bringing additional combatants into it.

Yeah… seriously, the fact that she could block Saufangs giant axe with a dagger and what seemed to be no effort at all is really fishy.
Whatever happened there wasnt a fair fight, Sylvanas had some sort of empowerment going behind the scenes…

4 Likes