Did Sylvanas cheat in the Mak’gora?

I thought it was heavily implied Sylvanas was empowered by some shadowy force, hence the shadowy purple swirlings.

Saurfang wasn’t wielding an axe, he was using Shalamayne(quite ironic but w/e), a twohanded sword that can split to become dual blades.
Saurfang is an aged Orc, not implying he should just croak like a stomped bug, but Sylvanas is undead.

As for Sylvanas’ melee prowess, she always wore blades, aside her bow and even though the bow is the main weapon, I’m fairly sure the High Elven Farstriders were and are trained in several weapons, not just a bow.
Before Sylvanas was slain she was the Ranger General of Silvermoon, basicly the head of the High Elf army and already a few hundred, if not a thousand years old.
I may be wrong but I thought it was alluded somewhere she fought in the Troll Wars. So plenty of combat training and experience from her past life, I’d think.

Now, she’ s undead, doesn’t need food or drink, doesn’t need sleep. Lived in a constant state of war against pretty much everything else, heading an undead warhost society.

I’m not surprised if she also spent allot of her time training her combat skills aswell as scheming and politics.

Just saying, why would she not be able to stand toe to toe with Saurfang.
And on the subject. It wasn’t a fair fight, however regardless of the challenge, it wasn’t a proper Mak’gora either.

Besides, Saurfang should’ve remembered…
Honor means nothing to a corpse.

1 Like

There’s a new corpse in town who’s proven that assessment incorrect.

Tink tink :black_flag:

1 Like

Yeah but those were Sylvanas’ words to Saurfang though.
And Bannerbae didn’t fight that ‘mock’gora’.
I’m sure she would’ve shown much honor if she had…

I do think it’s good if Blizzard remembers that the Forsaken used to be Lordaeronian Humans. They founded the Alliance! Even if the Alliance no longer wants them, what they believed in life should still carry some weight.

Honor might not mean anything to Sylvanas, but the Forsaken aren’t her puppets… well, at least not right now. Depends on the quest, I guess…

Saurfang declared himself dishonourable. So it was an honourably dishonourable fight!

2 Likes

I think you misunderstood me, I’m certainly not stereotyping all Forsaken in their train of thought.
I was literally meaning Sylvanas and no one else. It was Sylvanas whom Saurfang challenged, not any other Forsaken who may or may not uphold some codes of honor from their past life…Sylvanas made her thoughts about honor quiet known to Saurfang in the Undercity Siege.

Anyway, Saurfang knew he was going to die when he issued his challenge, he became a martyr. And Sylvanas exposed, as cheesy and uninspired as it was, all the rest are just details in the end.

Anduin being the supportive boyfriend to Saurfang having a breakdown about his failures would be the funniest part of this patch if not for Sylvanas rocket-boosting into the stratosphere.

1 Like

I see no cheating there, really.

Saurfang & co seem to know full well what they’re in for when challenging Sylvanas, Thrall even says" You know you cannot win."
Would be quite ridiculous if he implied a warrior of the calibre of Saurfang could not defeat a petite elf in melee combat.

They know she is empowered by some very mighty magic and expect her to use it, too ( and honestly, how else would she parry his hits like it were nothing. Should be impossible, even if she had been training 24/7 for the last 10 years.)

If anything, Sylvanas cheats herself when she throws her hissy fit ( again ) and shows her true colours.

In the end he gets what he wanted all along ( his honorable death ) whereas she doesn’t, so you could even say Saurfang won.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what happens. The question of the topic isn’t whether or not it was cheating to have shadow-magic in her knives, it was whether or not the final killing blow was cheating - which it probably was.

Thrall and Anduin both say that Saurfang won after he’s dead, since his goal was to break the Horde loyalists away from Sylvanas rather than actually win the fight. Mission accomplished, definitely.

1 Like

Depends on the rulesthey set. We didn’t see them make any rules though. Not sure if the writers forgot how mak’gora works but it’s rather easy to look up.
No idea if Sylvanas cheated, but Saurfang knew he was going to die here so if I really want to nitpick Saurfang didn’t have any business calling mak’gora.
On the other hand, it is pretty noble of him to try and stop the war this way.
And I hate how it worked.

1 Like

I don’t think it was her intent to win the crowds of the fight. It looks like she was staging this all along, on the other hand she speaks to him like she was genuinely disappointed being betrayed, so who knows. Still, she could have easily avoided the duel, or killed him fair and square and for a cold hearted character as she is supposed to be, she did a very poor job if she lost her temper … again (or the writers did a very poor job). So I believe this was staged up to a point, Nathanos implies it in the past too.

I see it in arenas every day ha ha ha.
It is funny though, a good warrior is so much inferior to a good mage? The whole game is more or less based on some sort of balance between the classes.

Why do you think it would be better if they fought properly with Sylvanas winning? She is all about “I dont really care about this crap anymore, I am more than this, so long suckers!” She demonstrates she can kill him fair and square and then she demonstrates she can crash him easily.
It feels that was a good way to make her point.

Gnome warriors have a word to say about this :smiley:

_In my eyes, Sylvanas sacrificed A LOT of lives to deliver a Horde who is purely ready to make peace with the Alliance, who is truly ready to accept it. Moreover, the person who is responsible for most of the hate between the 2 factions was demonized and gone out of the picture. _
There is no better setting for peace and unity to fight any old god or w/e comes into our face.

Sylvanas did a great job HA HA HA HA

Again? When was the other time(s)?

Well for instance there’s the scene in War Crimes where she runs around killing puppies and bunnies while reeeing because she got mad her sister chose her children instead of living in a sewer

ughh I can’t believe anyone could like that character

1 Like

So she goes into a forest and takes her anger out on some diseased animals.

But other than that she keeps her cool, after she gets headshotted, at the end of the Broken Shore cinematic, in the Stormheim cinematic, after Greymane plugs her, even after he breaks her Lantern. Yeah, I’m not seeing a pattern here aside the fact that some people really, I mean REALLY wanted her to go full stupid-evil.

1 Like

Okay.
Still wouldn’t call that cheating either. Cheating means you do something to gain an unfair advantage, which is not the case with her final blow.
Sylvanas had already lost at that point and she knew it, plus she could have easily killed Saurfang without using her new shadow superpowers, it would just have taken a bit longer.
If using magic wasn’t against the rules- and it obviously wasn’t- this applies regardless of its scale.
So no, still no cheating in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m confused, what’s up with the underscores?
And while accurate, right now I choose to believe Sylvanas is pure evil. I just don’t want this to be the way the story is going. The thing is, it feels strongly as if the writers want us to feel a certain way about everything. It’s like they want horde rebels and Sylvanas loyalists to both now despise Sylvanas and just luuuuuv the alliance. It’s nauseating. I chose Horde for a reason. I rolled undead for a reason. I was a Sylvanas loyalist for a reason.
And now all those reasons mean nothing because the writers think everyone should be alliance.

So 2 orcs and a tauren being sad about Sylvanas’ decisions and horde’s actions, everything is now forgiven and we become best pals? Just no.

2 Likes

Looked to me like she forfeited the entire challenge when she flew away while giving us the finger.

No, she did not cheat in Mak’gora because Mak’gora is an orc traidition, not an elf nor an undead tradition. It is the equiavlent of challenging an orc for a Tal’ashar, it just wouldn’t work. The obligations don’t really count for her.

I agree that it wasn’t necessarily cheating, but this is a terrible argument. When I go to China and I break the law there, I have to accept the consequences, regardless of whether I am a citizen of China or another country. When Sylvanas was challenged to a Mak’gora, she accepted, and therefore also accepted any primary or secondary rules that come with the Orc tradition.

3 Likes

Then Saurfang cheated aswell, because he was wearing full body armor and had two weapons, when the rule say that the wearer can’t wear any chest armor or helmet and can only pick one weapon.