Disadvantages of using a level boost?

Hello chaps,

New player here, started playing in August around the time classic came out

I have been enjoying wow both classic and retail and I have been enjoying trying out the different races and classes

I have learnt about the 15th anniversary event and thought I would finally use the level boost that you get upon buying the deluxe edition of the game. I have been doing the first few story quests for bfa and I am now wondering what the disadvantages are of using a level boost.

Will I still be able to start previous expansions? And will I still be able to access content you unlock early such as dungeons or will wow eventually stop high level players from playing low level dungeons and whatnot

Hey Baxter!

At this point it sounds like you’ve had a chance to get to grips with the game and most of the basic mechanics, so I imagine using a boost may seem like a good shortcut for you. I do want to let you know what to expect along with answering some of your questions, so you’re at least prepared for what happens.

In a nutshell, nothing much changes for your character except that you get a level bump to either level 110 or 120, depending on which one you’ve unlocked. It sounds like it would be just a level 110 boost, but mechanically there’s not a whole lot of difference between them. The basics for what happens are covered in our boost support article, Level 110 Character Boost.

The biggest thing here is that you are going to be dropped into a high level area that you likely won’t have ever seen before, with a fair few “Go here” and “Do this” type recommendations and quests that you may not be able to differentiate between. This will be the confusing part if you’ve never been to this higher level of the game before, and I’d recommend you have a friend or guildie who can offer you some guidance on this.

No doubt some of our regular posters will drop in and be able to give you a hand in this thread as well, so don’t hesitate to ask any more questions here if you can’t find an answer to it anywhere else! :slight_smile:

Yes, you will be able to access everything that is available from all previous expansions. You will be just higher level than it’s designed for so you will just get through that content without trouble. There’s way more content in previous expansions than you need to get to max level anyway.

If you ever decide to do that then go to Stormwind and find this gnome

Buy from him Soft Foam Sword and click on magnifying glass icon near minimap. Select Trivial Quests. Normaly quests that are way below your level are hidden, this will make them show up for you and the sword is great for quests where you don’t have to kill mobs but just weaken them. When you outlevel a zone by much you are likely to kill them very fast even with one hit and foam sword will always hit mobs that are trivial to you for 90% so they are weaken and you can do whatever quest demands from you.

The only real disadvantage of boosting migth be being overwhelm with stuff you get. If you managed to do some stuff and not feel to overwhelemed you’re fine. Also there is a tutorial to how to play the class after boosting so you aren’t completely clueless.

I think boosting your first character is almost always a mistake. You learn A LOT while levelling and gearing your first character, and too many people who boost without going through that are then lost and confused. There are also considerations like whether you are on a realm that you want to play for the longer term (I’m not sure you are, on Hellfire), and knowing what class you want to boost - understanding what each class does.

Quoting myself from another post New player - couple questions - #2 by Gráinne-earthen-ring

"It’s not just about missing the story. It’s about not learning all the things the game teaches you along the way: geography, vendors, bags, travel, UI and addons and macros, XP, trade, communication, buffs, passives, roles. And trhen the systems you sign up for at max level are a bit elaborate anyhow, but when you have no grounding in the game before it, they really seem pointlessly complicated.

"Instant boosts to 110 can be great for people returning to the game after years, or existing players who want another character, but not usually productive for beginners.

“If you have played a lot of another MMO like FFXIV before, you will already have a lot of the concepts, and can likely struggle through translating your existing knowledge, but if you are new to MMOs, it’s very tough. Many people struggle with it and give up and start again from level 1.”

Why does the 15th Anniversary event make you want to boost? I don’t see the connection?

1 Like

Another disadvantage you could say is that many ppl who boost a character, especially their first one just cant seem to connect/bond the same way with their character. Playing them from lvl1 helps a lot of ppl to do just that.

3 Likes

Boosts have their pros and cons, realistically yes it’s the fastest way into content and it’s really good for allowing you to start catching up immediately.

Unless your severely into story and more I don’t think you will struggle to bond with the character. (I’ve boosted and never had a issue really but I’ve always been a gameplay first kinda guy)

What can happen though, is you pick the wrong class, without insight to how these classes work at max level it could be severely hard for you to pinpoint a exact class you want to play.

I’d recommend using the class trial system and play with the talents and more against training dummies to find the classes you enjoy and read some guides watch some videos on them.

You will need some insight into these classes if your wanting to make the right choice.

Hello,

This is just my point of view. I’m a new player since one year because the character boost broken my experience in the game.

Now, I play Death Knight and Hunter but for the start I had a level 90 character boost during the Wod expansion.

I didn’t understand the lore & the story. I didn’t master my class and I was totally lost. I stopped to play after two weeks.

I had the same problem with legion when I wanted to play with friends and BFA.

When you use a character boost, your character have no identity and if you are a new player like me, this boost ruin totally you gameplay learning and experience.

You are a empty character just some pixel that you don’t know use in a world where you ignore all story.

For me The character boost is the worst way for all new player.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.