Disappearing loot?

Hey, was this an intended bug or a real one. I kill mobs and quite often a loot window will open for a millisecond then close but you’ve got nothing. Seems I’m not the only one that’s mentioned it.

4 Likes

It’s because the game registers it having loot, but there is no loot in fact.

1 Like

Not all mobs drop loot. If you use auto loot and loot a mob with no loot then it will do exactly what you describe.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you didn’t play Vanilla the first time around? This is how it used to be when a mob has no loot. In Retail it just won’t be lootable, but in Classic you get an empty loot window.

1 Like

I noticed that. I though it is a bug…

My friend and I both get this too. It feels like a bug where it’s just got no loot but opens the window anyway.

We do indeed both use auto-loot as well.

This is how it should work, yes.

There is another problem, however, which makes Group Loot absolutely horrible.

You and your friend have a quest. You kill a quest NPC. You can’t loot the NPC. Your friend can. He loots it. He gets no quest item. The game then decides that it’s your turn to get a quest item and the corpse starts sparkling. You now have to loot the NPC.

I have lost count of how many times my gf just missed quest items like that…

Because of this bullS we just use FFA loot now…

We noticed that when others don’t have quests or someone has completed their quest already, the spare items for the quests just appear on a first come first served basis.

My friend is always lightning fast at spotting a pre looted body and grabbing the spares. I am so slow :laughing:

its to prevent people from skinning away your hardly killed mob

1 Like

First of all, I cant believe so many people say this is NOT A BUG. Most of them brag they played in Vanilla.

SO: IF there is no loot, the mob shouldn’t be clickable. If there is loot, the mob should be clickable. Right now, we click the mob and for a millisecond a box appears and closes, without loot. YES, MOBS HAVING NO LOOT IS NOT A BUG. This „there is loot, oh wait, there isn’t” IS A REAL BUG!

Another connected bug is same mobs in different areas (see crabs in Darkshore) drop q item 90% at the time while, 100 meters ahead, the drop rate on the same mobs is 5%. This is stupid and a BUG. If the drop rate is 80% dont tell me I can kill 20 mobs and get no q item. Just dont.

Please stop commenting for the sole reason to brag about you playing in Vanilla. Nobody cares.

3 Likes

Yeah I did play in Vanilla but that was what 15yrs ago so memory n getting old n all that lol. I do have the auto loot on so that explains it thanks :grinning:

i remember that in classic era too up to BC it happened alot i swear i remember it. I used to think because my net was 400-600 ping

I guess the idea is that you find out that there is no loot once you’ve actually “searched” the corpse. Makes sense from an RP perspective I think.

1 Like

This is actually normal yeah, a mob you kill (you’ve tapped/your turn to loot while in a group etc) will always sparkle, even if it turns out there’s nothing for you to pick up.

As some of the others mentioned in here if using Auto Loot, that’s why the window pops up and then vanishes if there’s nothing for you to pick up.

For Skinners, you need to check the body for loot first, even if it’s empty, before you can skin what’s left.

5 Likes

oh great so you say that window flashes 9 times in a row cause 9 mobs in a row don’t have loot. cool

1 Like

And what about quest items appearing only after the one whose turn it is loots the body? Even if the person doesn’t have the quest or has completed it.

Example:
We are doing Plainstrider Menace. I kill a mob. It’s my gf’s turn to loot. She loots. She doesn’t get a quest item. The corpse then starts sparkling on my screen as well. If I haven’t charged towards the next mob and completely overlooked the sparkling, I will go back and loot the mob. There is a Plainstrider Beak, for some reason…

Example2:
I’ve already collected my Plainstrider Beaks. We kill a plainstrider. My gf sees no loot on the corpse. It’s my turn to loot. I loot the corpse. My gf then sees sparkles and loots the corpse after me. There is a Plainstrider Beak, for some reason…

This only happens with Group Loot. We just stopped using Group Loot and switched to FFA. As long as it’s just the two of us, it’s okay. In dungeons groups, however, this is horrible… It took me THREE runs in WC to get Deviate Hides done, and I still had to farm the last ~5 outside the dungeon.

This is not normal.

I see u skipped statistics class.

It is normal though.
The person who’s turn it is gets the sparkles (meaning the corpse is yours). Once you loot (even if you take nothing) the corpse becomes free for all.
At this point others can check the corpse as well (and as you noticed, sparkles appear for them after you looted) enabling them to take quest items or any other loot you left.
I always remember it working this way in parties with group loot.

1 Like

I know this part. This is very simple and logical.

But why shouldn’t a player who is eligible for a quest item be able to loot it in case the other person doesn’t even have the quest or has completed it? And if it’s my turn to loot the corpse, but my gf’s turn to get a quest item, then why can’t she loot it before I loot the corpse?

This just doesn’t make sense…

We just started new characters on Gandling and it took us maybe half an hour to do the bats & wolves quest in Deathknell. It was literally the longest quest in the entire starting zone. We got bored and she was on the cusp of calling it a day and logging out. I have no idea how many paws and pelts we must’ve missed, but I’d say about 1/3 of what we needed.

We then switched to FFA for the Scarlet quest and it was like night and day. 24 armbands needed - 24 Scarlet mobs killed. No running around checking corpses, no missed quest items, no arguments “BUT DID YOU LOOT THE CORPSE???” - “FOR THE 10TH TIME, YES, I F*CKING LOOTED IT”.

This is just not okay, Blizzard. How many full SM runs (from GY to Cath) will it take for me to finish Hearts of Zeal in that case? 3? 4?

If you have quick eyes like I have, you can see the loot reads ‘empty slot’.