Discussion: Deaths and Resurrections

The trolls who have faith in Bwonsamdi seems relatively fine with it too, in general.

1 Like

This is where the consent kicks in.
Eventually, the character themselves is going to no longer want to be resurrected, or they have too much resurrection sickness.
That still doesn’t mean “Resurrection bad, never do it”.
Just solve the resurrection IC instead of OOC sabotaging it and telling people to not do it.

Yes, my dead character is going to somehow halt a resurrection. Wait a minute

(For the record, I agree with resurrection being a viable storytelling device, when used sparingly and with consequence, at least.)

You do know that resurrection, unlike necromancy, is consent based.
The spirit is returned to the body. If the spirit refuses, the resurrection doesn’t work.
So yes, your dead character can actually decline.

This sounds like a headcanon to me.

3 Likes

True yes. Or it varies. Those who make deals with him but doesnt activly worship like the darkspear seem to fear it, like the troll who sacrificed her child that you encounter in Nazmir.

But for actual followers, it seems like Bwonsamdi is a good and caring keeper, and seems not be all that bad for you.

Depends on the character and people I suppose. And I dont see anyone advocating for sabotaging it? Only like myself who say that they personally disagree or doesnt want to involve it themselves.

1 Like

The consent thing is only a D&D 5e mechanic, it isnt mentioned in WoW at all outside of the new crappy lore with night elves being reanimated as undeads.

It is headcanon, or atleast taken from another fantasy game/world.

1 Like

Servants of the Lich King tend to embrace death after they have been slain, most likely because they will be reanimated again into their Master’s service. Another reason could be that the Scourge sees itself as the very personifcation of Death and merely slaying them would just be futile, after all they literally grow stronger with each corpse added to their army. Though undead outside the Scourge dread dying again, Sylvanas for example as mentioned earlier.

2 Likes

I don’t have proof other than it making sense, true.
There’s the ingame, where you can click accept.
And in most stories involving resurrections, there are times where the spirit/character is like “No, I should remain dead. I will rest now” or something and simply refuses to return.
Anything else is a form of necromancy, where the person is resurrected against their will.
I don’t know how that works, if it is possible for non-shadow/void magic to force a resurrection.
But that’s a valid way to decline resurrections while still allowing paladins, priests and others who are able to cast them to feel really epic.
Better at least than to come up with some plot-device that disables the resurrection.

It also fits into the narrative and older lore of warcraft that death isnt just a mundane thing you can be ressurected from willy-nilly and that the promise of eternal life as undead was something that made the cult of damned attract so many followers. Actual immortality for the more average people.

4 Likes

Indeed, and many would gladly give away their services and free will to the Lich King in exchange for immortality through undeath.

2 Likes

this older lore should be current :pensive:

3 Likes

The first “second generation” of death knights doing exactly this, Paladins who pledged service to the lich king for power and immortality. As did many of the scourge top lieutenants.

2 Likes

Considering our viewpoints are the polar opposites and there is evidence for and against either viewpoint the best solution is we just never ever interact with this kind of roleplay.
Maybe someone else can find a way for both to work without clashing.

I wouldnt say that not interacting with you or someone else is the best solution, since it’s a social aspect and I hate to think that plausible interactions are blocked :slight_smile:

If such a type of roleplay would become present, it’d depend on how the situation looks to see how to best approach it then.

1 Like

If someone, anyone, get their RP kicks from performing a Lazarus whenever the opportunity arrives, more power to them. We all have our role playing preferences (not crutches fyi) and I don’t intend to police anyone. It can happen in the lore so there’s no question about it being a technically possible approach.

But do I think it undermines gravity and any real sense of risk in an otherwise dangerous setting? I absolutely do.

3 Likes

A lot of people are talking about how ressurection removes the consequence of things.

I mean, canonically being a Priest is simply an end-all for literally anything.

They can heal -any- wound, including fatal ones since ressurection is an obscure possibility. The myth that they can’t heal broken bones or w/e is headcanon.

They can abolish natural disease with a single spell.

Consequences need to come elsewhere, because if the canon power of a Priest is to be believed, any injuries your character suffers from a bad decision can be rendered null by magic.

Get creative, losers. Narrative is more than just death/injury.

4 Likes

Nah, I simply think not all priests are epic powerhouses of consequence dodging faith, in a similar vein to how not every warlock is as powerful as Gul’dan and not every mage is a Jaina.

You making your priest that powerful is fine, but it rings just as silly as a common soldier singlehandedly slaying pit lords.

6 Likes

Perhaps not all of them, but you learn healing quite early if I recall the priest quests correctly.
Do you not also heal or resurrect some initiate in the old Paladin questlines for Blood Elves?
I would say Priests are epic and have an incredible kit that can negate many consequences. Until they run out of mana.

“So I heard you wanna be resurrected, well then. Here is what you must do!”

3 Likes