Discussion: Deaths and Resurrections

On the subject of the magical healing of priests…

Why not handle roleplayed magical healing with people that you’re unfamiliar with by sending them a tell, which says “(The effectiveness of the healing spell is up to you.)” or something similar?
Some people want to roleplay being injured and slowly on the mend, while other people want their character to get back up and back into the fight immediately. No one’s a mind-reader, so the best way to go about it is ask. It’s better than making someone grumpy because you didn’t heal their character enough for them to jump back into the battle, or because you healed their character too quickly for their taste.
There’s plenty of things in the game that prevent healing or purification, after all. Canonically, nothing can cure the Scourge’s plague. Just say that a wound is too severe or magical for you to properly mend at the time if you must.

Of course, this all falls apart if you’re the sort of player who doesn’t want any OOC communication involved in their roleplay at all.

5 Likes

Is that song about Shonn?

2 Likes

I wonder if shamans can reincarnate, considering they are the only ones with such an unique ability OOC.

I believe Tauren shaman may be able, specifically. In Warcraft 3 it was Tauren Chieftain (and Spirit walker) ability, and was… Sorta canonically used in Rexxar campaign in Warcraft 3.

At the end of the day, resurrection is perfectly canon under ‘normal circumstances’ (someone slit someone’s throat for example) and healing RP is really quite strange. I’ve had people in the CATHEDRAL saying they just don’t want to have their character ‘magically fixed’ when nothing prevented that at all. It may sound a bit harsh, but I think people should accept WoW as a high fantasy setting if they roleplay in it, and not OOC tell someone well in the process of healing them with magic that they don’t want their simple flesh wound ‘just gone’.

6 Likes

WoW is high fantasy, therefore my character cannot physically be killed.

Great way to add tension to storytelling, which RP is, at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Warcraft is a high-fantasy game by default. Blizzard has made that clear numerous times in their games and stories. I mean undead spider-people, talking trees, magic elves. Nowadays everyone likes to RP WoW as a GoT platform of RP and not the actual Warcraft world they’ve been placed in.

2 Likes

Healing and injuries in WoW have a lot of contradictory lore. Some characters die from relatively minor wounds which could easily be mended, other characters come back from the absolute brink with a single healing spell. If even Blizzard can’t decide on one single method of handling healing and injuries in their game, then I don’t think we should either.

This is a setting in which we’ve got that abilities can restore lots of soldiers to perfect health in an instant, if not outright resurrect them, next to the likes of bandages, triage and antivenom. WoW’s full of conflicting themes like this, and I believe that it’s up to the players to choose which themes they’d rather play with for their roleplay. Do they want the realistic medicine roleplay, which WoW caters to, or do they want the miracle-healing roleplay, which WoW also caters to?

2 Likes

If you NEED death or the threat of it to make stories compelling, then you’re limiting yourself a bit too much. Besides, characters can clearly die in WoW and menders aren’t always around, either. The good thing about having healing magic for mundane injuries is that there’s tons of other magic to royally mess you up beyond easy repair, too.

I know whose input we need…

Clovus “Never leaves home without his stone” Pyremaw
Clovus “When it cuts to the bone, in comes the soulstone” Pyremaw
Clovus “Died in the attack, but now I am back” Pyremaw
Clovus “This soulstone I must condone” Pyremaw

6 Likes

imagine RPing a warlock and not making use of one of its most iconic abilities :joy:

8 Likes

death is the scary and is final. if you take the power away from it then you end up making a joke of not only your character but all your RP prior and after dying and coming back. i knew a guy in a rp guild i was in on GW2 who was killed during infighting. it really hit the guild hard, as it wasn’t expected. months went on until eventually the guy who had died struggled to find another character he wanted to play and came up with a really sketchy explanation for how he didn’t actually die/came back to life. 2 months later he stopped RPing entirely because he realised he had just invalidated all that sweet RP his character did pre-death and was the cause of post-death.

1 Like

Honestly, just don’t die. It’s not hard.

I personally think that resurrection can be done, but that you should take the opportunity to make some roleplay out of it, as others suggested. I think that has the most merit. I do wonder though if the state of the body has anything to do with it. A body that was thoroughly mutilated beyond repair.

Then again, then we have this quest, https:/ /wow.gamepedia.com/ Putting_Olakin_Back_Together_Again

The guy in here was literallly dismembered and beheaded and they still managed to get him back, not as an undead, but actually alive.

Posting from beyond the grave with this character.

He died, various injuries culminating in an arrow to the head, no instant super powerful regeneration, no lol-dodging, no outlasting my opponents to infinity till they roll over or get uninterested.

His actions caught up with him and he was put into a situation that was VERY unfavourable, he could have been captured but it ended in violence.

There was an option of bringing him back via some VERY unpleasant means but I chose to let him stay dead, it would cheapen his demise.

I’m with the there should always be a heavy price for resurrection and a lot of work for it, if it works at all.

3 Likes

Learn to ankh, losers

Oh yeah, Ankhs are cool, actually.

So if I give you a mind enema I can kill you then?

i think resurection is always bad rp… think about it if ur chaacter dies then theyre mortaly wounded & healingrp won’t work cuz theyre dead so if u resurect them theyl just be dead again cuz of the wounds u know…?? so it doesnt really make senses even liches tho tbh those dont make sense ot begin with… they dont hafve a heart or skin or nything their just bones n some chains…? its realy weird and doesnt realy make sense so honesly anyone i see who does resurection in rp just gets put on block on al my characer right away…

2 Likes

Leave the lich king’s attempt at macgyvering out of this.

1 Like