[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

Well not at all, I RP mainly only one char, an old priest. You can understand that as every old man, it’s difficult to change their own mindset.

I mean, if that old man fills both options I mentioned, you do you. :man_shrugging: I rarely play Alliance anyway, I doubt we will have a chance to interact, have your fun.

While I sometimes can question the need & for a lack of better word “quality” of some racist characters(Such as my previous examples in this thread, and others have given where it’s just seems tacked on), it’s a bit strange to very immediatly call the players OOC behind the screen racist, if at all.

Even the couple of extremly cringeworthy(atleast to me) “Reee refugees” roleplay that peaked a bit during the Teldrassil burning, while it was a very clear just copypaste of modern situations, doesn’t nessecarily mean they support those view, but were just trying to be edgy/cool or something.

I think geniuenly the only times I’ve legitimatly suspected/seemed pretty clear that someone shared those kinda values OOC was when some guy argued against me in a thread about this kind of roleplay, with that he believed that we earth/ooc humans as a fact are Naturally racist, like predetermined in our DNA, and thus the Azerothian humans will be that as well.

Or when some guy linked me youtube videos to white supremacist rallies to try and explain(???) why his human character hated every none human and black humans.

2 Likes

Believe me, there are people (fortunately only a couple) that believe that we are sort a racists OCC only cause in our recent past we had committed some rp mistakes. Anyway I agree with it’s difficult to sole play these kind of characters cause they tend to be a caricature of what that they would be.

2 Likes

What is that technique? (the only way I´ve seen high elf RPers achieve permanent helf look is having stealthed alt and Reflecting Prism, which I don´t blame anyone for avoiding since it can be really tedious to remember to use it every 4-5 minutes)

I’m pretty confident that that is in fact the lock point technique

1 Like

After a quiet town crier run last night, I am happy to report… that no matter what is said, if it considered ‘negative’ towards void elves, it is racist.

The first two shouts I made were both pro-void elf.

Simple and supportive, yeah?
Except these were ignored. Not a single comment was made towards them. Not even the various void elf roleplayers who stood around made a peep about these shouts. Yet… As soon as this shout was announced:

We had someone say ‘that’s racist’.

Then some of the void elves that I have seen before came along to screech at me, using their usual vulgar language as if that is suppose to have some sort of effect against my words.

That is what this whole issue comes down to. If someone dares to speak ill of a race that these people play, then their reactions are fully fueled by emotional outbursts of that of the player themselves, and not an in-character reaction.
A case of the player failing to separate themselves from their character, often being a self-insert of themselves.

These types of characters can ‘never look bad’ or ‘have bad things happen to them.’
So, when my town crier comes along, spouting news of rumors, reports and other details that are leading us all up to patch 8.3… where void invasions become a part of the world, and the vision of Stormwind has multiple groups of void elves in the streets ripping it apart with void magic…
…they get upset.

Upset that someone is going by the game lore, reacting with caution and suspicion towards a race who’s loyalties should be questioned given their past, and what we see of the future.
Upset that someone is roleplaying in a way that doesn’t treat them as a hero and bow towards them.
Upset that people don’t accept their character automatically and love them.
Upset that a challenge has appeared to test their character development.

So they do the only thing that they can do.
They look at my town crier.
And they scream.
“Racist.”

12 Likes

You be a makin’ 'em so-a maad!

I’m inclined to just write off all of this as Stormwind being her unpleasant old self. Someone shared a screenshot with me last night, of their void elf being snarked at while passing by a human couple. All perfectly fine, not a word was said in return.

Then the couple immediately veered off into one of them suggesting they “spend all that aggression in the bedroom” and off they went.

I’m starting to believe that there is no winning in Stormwind.

Only gradations of losing.

7 Likes

This is a problem too, last night i was heading in the direction of 3 people thinking i was going to rp with them, but the moment i got slightly close they all 3 used their Garrison HS.

2 Likes

I cannot say I see how does them screaming about the crier being racist and all immediately makes them self-inserts, to be fair. What made you differ their reactions from a character just being fed up IC when someone spreads distrust around them? Just curious, not been there personally the last few times you’ve done this so I have no clue what it exactly looked like.

I do not claim that they are all self-inserts, so I may have over-labeled there in my wording. But, as you said, you were not there when I’ve done the shouts, so you miss a lot of the dialogue that is tossed at me.

It is a lot of out-of-character laced dialogue. Completely breaking character as they once talked with some grace, turning instead into jeers, swear words and a lot of reference to out of game terms that don’t make sense in-game.

5 Likes

Mind sharing an example? Not sure what you mean.

The gang regularly gets called fascist, racist, stuff like that

3 Likes

Weird yells such as “studies from doctors now show that something something something” can’t remember the entire yell but it was 100% just to oppose the news being yelled and it felt very out of character the way it was done

3 Likes

It is quite simple of an assumption, really.

Warcraft has alot of warfare and plot based upon the fact that different races are at war. Yet the words ‘racism’ or ‘fascism’ are not really, if ever, used within the Warcraft universe.

Now, racism and fascism is obviously a big deal in the current social climate.

Essentially, we have people applying current day social issues/climate unto the universe of Warcraft. This heavily supports said argument claiming that they are self-inserts.

The unhinged use of the common swear beginning with an F also strengthens this.

EDIT: tl;dr people using modern lingo is a clear example of people being unable to differ between ooc/ic

6 Likes

Okay… while I could get the idea of someone using ‘racist’ as a term IC, this I just absolutely cannot get. What next, calling them a certain word that relates to Germans in the second World War? :frowning:

4 Likes

They would if they could, I have no doubts about it.

I think we may have already been called that.

2 Likes

This is an annoyance. A lot of people come to the fantasy universe for the escapism element not to see x or y subreddit projected into RP.

4 Likes