[Discussion] IC Racism is perfectly fine in Warcraft

I mean it seemed the purpose of this thread, to tell people they are doing their RP in a wrong way.

But I may have misunderstood.

think the title sums up what the thread is about. About IC racism and how it isnā€™t a big deal OOC

1 Like

are you not unsubbed?

Itā€™s based on the fact that 8.3 is coming up where void is a huge theme and the stormwind nā€™zoth vision thing has renā€™dorei tearing the city apart. Itā€™s to make people fear the void.

Itā€™s perfectly fine if they are taking part in the RP you are creating while also infecting it with cringe borderline ooc replies.

Never did we say that we are entitled to special treatment. Did you even read the posts? Itā€™s about people ruining RP with being borderline OOC or just hating on us because of our community.

2 Likes

Honestly, donā€™t care if the person is with a disliked community. I have been enjoying hearing the town crier. Despite making my character angry. But that is the whole point of this RP.

In fact itā€™s a great way of getting news IC if you return from a campaign or an event some where else.

My void elf disagrees with a few things that are said but thatā€™s the point, no?

9 Likes

Exactly. We arenā€™t looking for people to screech ooc wise. We are happy with the disagreements. And even better is when the void elves work towards overcoming this challenge.

It is a trial by fire that they can CHOOSE to undergo as a great development of their character and allows them to flesh out ideas that one may never have thought of before.

8 Likes

Exactly, it is why my void elf is listening rather than acting out. Of course, he is a bit ashamed some void elves are attacking and misusing their power.

But IC that is the best thing my void elf can do. Stand and listen, donā€™t act out on it.

3 Likes

In fact, we have had comments about people actually considering how the next patch would affect their void elf. Would they even be able to resist the power of an old god? They may harness void powers, but can they hold out against Nā€™zoth?

Would they fall prey? Would they struggle in their day to day life?

These challenges allow a character to evolve further and become a stronger person, RP wise. And these trials also help rekindle old ideas that some may have discarded. That is the power of these types of roleplays that we seek to promote.

So the city is now cautious against the void elvesā€¦ What do you do?
Apparently for mostā€¦ It is to scream at town criersā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m am trying to plan that quickly and effectively. Most though story telling first then possibly In game.

4 Likes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/431113366350725121/664228153958596653/unknown.png

1 Like

I am, yes.

Iā€™m not arguing that it isnā€™t ICly viable, just that the IC dislike velves get is also motivated by OOC dislike of the race. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with it but the reactions might be influenced by OOC opinions. ā€¦ if my characters were to get lynched every few months you can probably understand why some might be fed up about getting assaulted. This doesnā€™t make your RP less viable, mind. As I said, thereā€™s nothing stopping you from engaging in the town.

I did:

Iā€™m not a fan of this attitude. It seems to go along the lines of ā€œyou owe me one, boyā€ or still along the lines of a super altruistic motivation. RP is not about having debts with people. Simple as.

In fairness literally everyone that uses the /yell feature gets those.

Stormwind is weird like that.

2 Likes

Happen in orgrimmar too, it is to be expected at this point

2 Likes

RPing and creating RP is a call for special treatment? Do you realize what server are we on?
Expecting at least a modicum of effort from people when you engage them is not unreasonable. It is the standard.

3 Likes

Unless people are using real life racial slurs and stereotypes against void elves donā€™t claim itā€™s ooc.

Just donā€™t make characters that are disliked by some and expect to be loved by everyone because you swear youā€™re a good person.

3 Likes

Well. I mean, youā€™re right there: itā€™s not nice. I agree that IRL slurs arenā€™t cool (mind however how similar slurs were also used by anti-refugee/anti-velf RPers back then; so there might just be a lot of biased stigma against this form of RP - this might partially be an attempt to discourage all that stuff to emerge again).

Also, I think there is an huge difference between being disliked and finding a party trying to kill/openly insult you in the streets every RP session. If they donā€™t want to engage with that, they can just move on / tell you that they donā€™t want this type of RP down their throats. Itā€™s comprehensible, some people just donā€™t want to feel pressured into this corner.

Tbh personally I would find it cool to be that edgy void elf that walks down a street and has to content with a lot of prejudice and hate from the commoners. But some people donā€™t and hey, itā€™s their choice.

Well, no-one says they should engage. Put us on ignore and move on.

But donā€™t say OOCly ā€œPcU bAdā€. And donā€™t target based on your own feelings, rather than characters.

IC is IC. OOC is OOC.

If they donā€™t feel like they should RP with you because their mentality/approach to the game is not OOCly compatible with yours, itā€™s fine that they want to make it explicit. Itā€™s better than just ignoring for no reason I think.

However itā€™s a bad affair if you get hate just because of said incompatibility, thatā€™s true.

i donā€™t think thatā€™s fine at all. i think what you just described to me is the death of roleplay

donā€™t engage with someone because your ooc views conflict with their ic ones. play the character, not yourself.

5 Likes

Just the idea of a cohesive community is damaged. Not RP as a whole: these guys will still find RP elsewhere and Iā€™m sure you can still do great RP without their support.

Edit.
Also I donā€™t erp. I think this debate can be constructive: thereā€™s no reason to go that way.

Begins ignoring the erping dragon

2 Likes