"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Update #2 (Mar 18, 2023)

• Game has been running fine for several hours now after I deleted my WTF folder (goodbye add-ons) and did a full reset of my WoW settings using the Battle.net Launcher. I kind of have my doubts about whether or not it’s truly fixed, but I’ll come back here with an update if it happens again. TL;DR: Deleting WTF folder and resetting WoW settings might have worked?

Update #1 (Mar 18, 2023)

• It just happened again, same exact error as before. It happened when I spoke to an NPC while my Firefox was loading up a page on my second monitor (not sure if there’s a connection between these two events, just thought I would mention it in case there is). TL;DR: Updating NVIDIA drivers didn’t help.

Earlier today my game froze while I was doing some stuff on my second monitor. It stayed this way for about 15 seconds before it become responsive again – and when it did, the game basically reloaded all of the assets/shaders, including my character. I didn’t think anything of it at the time until I decided to look in my Event Viewer and noticed the following errors.

Event 0, nvlddmkm (there were 4 of these in a row, all within 1 second)

The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 700

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Event 4101, Display (this came after the 4)

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This is a brand new computer (barely 3 weeks old) and I haven’t had any issues with other games so this seems like something exclusive to WoW.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?

Specs

• RTX 3070 (Driver version 531.18)
  • Ryzen 7 5800X
  • 16GB RAM
  • Windows 11 64-bit
  • 1TB SSD

same issue on win 7 and direct x 11 non legacy since pre patch.
random black screens and it nagging about “win 7 drivers for win 8 stopped responding and has recovered”.

1 Like

I’m playing with DirectX 12 enabled.

Updated NVIDIA GRD drivers to 531.26 yesterday and ran sfc /scannow in CMD this morning. To my surprise, for once it actually said there were corrupted files and that it repaired them – usually it just says everything’s fine. Been playing for about an hour and a half now without issues but we’ll see how it goes. Yesterday when this happened I had already been playing for several hours.

I browsed the NVIDIA forums yesterday and it seems like there are a lot of complaints about the 531.xx batch of drivers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this is related to that. Could be some kind of incompatibility with Windows 11, DirectX 12, and/or WoW itself.

Funny how computers just become more unstable as they get “better”… I never had to deal with issues like these back in the good old days of Windows XP. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Update #1

• It just happened again, same exact error as before. It happened when I spoke to an NPC while my Firefox was loading up a page on my second monitor (not sure if there’s a connection between these two events, just thought I would mention it in case there is).

Update #2

• Game has been running fine for several hours now after I deleted my WTF folder (goodbye add-ons) and did a full reset of my WoW settings using the Battle.net Launcher. I kind of have my doubts about whether it’s truly fixed, but I’ll come back here with an update if it happens again.

yea it is funny. was far more stable when it was low poly style and 700 mb ram. something they did in legion that took it downhill ever since in terms of stability.

DirectX 11 legacy has least of this errors for me.
try maybe works for you. clearly not limited to DirectX 12 version.

1 Like

I haven’t had any crashes since my last update so I guess cleaning up my WoW folders worked somehow. I had imported the WTF folder directly from my old PC to my new one, so maybe there were some corrupt files in there that my new GPU didn’t agree with.

It’s also worth noting that I never turned my Anti-Aliasing back on as I heard that can also cause some issues when combined with DX12.

I’ve been having this issue as of late, in the last week or so.

I’ve fully reinstalled my drivers using DDU, tested other games with no issues but it persists with World of Warcraft, I’m not convinced that the issue is addon related either.

1 Like

I haven’t had it happen with Retail WoW since my last post, but today it happened with Classic WoW (after installing it last night). It seems to happen when I click on my secondary monitor (specifically on Discord); the game freezes for a couple of seconds and I get the nvlddmkm error in my Event Viewer.

I can prevent the nvlddmkm error from happening by quickly alt-tabbing out of the game and back in. This puts the game back in focus and thus no nvlddmkm error is generated.

I still think it may be some kind of incompatibility issue with Windows 11, DirectX 12, WoW, and/or the fact that my primary monitor is a GSYNC monitor running at 165Hz while the other one is a standard one clocked at 75Hz. It’s hard to say, but I don’t think it’s a hardware issue, that’s for sure.

Disabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling on Windows 11 may have helped with the issue with Classic WoW, but I’ll have to keep playing for a while longer to know for sure.

I’m on W10, 165hz monitors as well, at 1440p - there’s been an unusual bunch of driver updates from nvidia recently - I think the issues have definitely stemmed from them, my issue seems to be resolved for now… I’ve only had one or two little hiccups but nothing like I was getting before.

Driver Timeouts can have many causes, which makes them a bit harder to troubleshoot and may also be outside of what we can do. Timeouts can be triggered by something mundance, like an overlay, a problem with the installed driver, or something like unstable overclocks, overheating, or insufficient power supply. That’s just one of the few potential causes.

A good first step on a timeout is a clean driver reinstall. To do so, first uninstall the currently installed driver, and then install a newly downloaded driver.

To uninstall the driver, use a program like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).

The current driver can be found on the chip manufacturer website, like amd.com, nvidia.com or intel.com.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.