Do you play World of Warcraft to "escape real life"?

Well, every relegion have in a from or fashion their “Angels and Demons” and no one proved they not really exist… so interacting with them theoretically possible?

We all have our demons :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

If we go with the 1944 existentialist play by French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre called Huis Clos , or No Exit then “Hell is other people” :smirk:

Also a good reason to escape into the virtual to be with other people in a less “hellish” setting :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

True
So I think we proved, quite frimly, the answer to the opening question is : Yes

1 Like

We are of same mind and conclude the verdict is : Yes

1 Like

Pirates are just water bandits, they’re not really anything special
Ninja’s we don’t have tho, we have subtlety rogues and assassin rogues that fit the profile the best out of all available classes

That explains the pug-experience :dracthyr_lulmao:

No I play cause I like video games, though lately I have less and less time for them. I barely play wow, let alone other things.

MoP was WoW trying to have a stronger market presence in Asia.

I used to. At the time I wasn’t well and TBH I abused WoW to much. Since then i have recovered and am getting my life back on track. It was mental health by the way and WoW really did help. In fact it helped me forget about my illness more than the medication they gave me a go on. So i can see how it is an escapism mechanism. Spiritual processed poppy seed is what the Chinese Government called it and i think they are bang with that summary. why is the word Op**m banned in appropriate context?

1 Like

After everything I’ve witnessed from these last 4 and a half years, I want to forget about the real world and go to somewhere where its actually more peaceful and in order. (Which is funny, coming from a game that has the name Warcraft in it.)

Escapism has always been appealing. Throughout many franchises.
The trouble is that there is an active war against Escapism by those that are fuelled by the belief “everything is political” as they push politics and ideology into Escapism.
Convinced in their “greater good”. So when immersion is destroyed and or intellectual properties are hijacked and used as tools and platforms to preach and proselytise ones politics and ideology.

Time and time again people vote with their money and or involvement. As view ratings - sales - box office openings dies or is drastically lowered. No matter what power the activists can wield once they have conquered or moved their people into positions of power and influence. They can not control how people spend their money - can not force people to consume content.

Look at Doctor Who or Disney Era Star Wars. Both formally massive intellectual properties is now dead. With necromancy becoming a thing as its decaying corpse is reanimated.

Think about the question. If the WORLD of Warcraft now comes to reflect Wokeness or some other real world stuff then it is no longer about the WORLD of Warcraft anymore and is no different to a skin suit. Like when Leatherface wears the faces of his victims.
Somehow you know your friends are no longer alive.

This is a symptom of something else. The drive to normalise the abnormal. If it was normal then there would not be such a push to normalise it in the first place.
Things such as - Race swapping characters and people to some version of black brown and non white - turning straight characters into some variation of alphabet people - turning male characters into females.

Taking male franchises then bait and switch it for females. Like Furiousa attempted with Mad Max but it led to the biggest Box Office failure in 30 years. Even among other failures such as the Marvels and Madame Web.
It would be like advertising a Mario Game Movie or product Not including Mario and making it all about Princess Peach.

There is a time and place for everything. If people want to discuss / debate / argue real world things then have at it. Escapism should not be yet another political battleground or platforms to preach to the masses about your politics and ideology.

I play Gran Tourismo because I enjoy the franchise and car racing. I do not play Gran Tourismo to listen to intersectional feminism.
How an intellectual property could become a political battleground. The Killmonger haircut. It is overly used almost everytime they attempt to “represent” black people. Why is it always Killmonger dreads?

1. Eddy Gordo Tekken 8
  2. Jet Justice of Foam stars.
  3. Miles Morales Spiderman 2
  4. Sargon. Prince of Persia the Lost Crown

(Could not include the link of the pictures as evidence.)

Shoehorning and pidegon holing demographics of people is not “representation”.
Much worse than the death of Escapism is that the Activists - Tourists create division. For exampe J R R Tolkiens work was translated into roughly 38 languages including braille.

• Basque
  • Breton
  • Bulgarian
  • Catalan
  • Chinese (Simple and Complex)
  • Croatian
  • Czech
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • Estonian
  • Finnish
  • French
  • Galician
  • German
  • Greek
  • Hebrew
  • Hungarian
  • Icelandic
  • Indonesian
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Latvian
  • Lithuanian
  • Marathi
  • Norwegian
  • Polish
  • Portuguese (European and Brazilian)
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Serbian
  • Slovak
  • Slovenian
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • Thai
  • Turkish

Despite this. The Lord of the Rings fandom was not considered “Inclusive enough”. Not until it included current year Woke and intersectional politics. “adapted for the modern audience” but Amazon’s Rings of Power despite their spending budget was a failure.

The death of Escapism causes people to face their everyday life and challenges. Without respite or relief. People could have terminal cancer or not old enough to move out of a house with DV, But in those moments where they can just enjoy their comics and cartoons - videogames - anime and manga - movie and tv show. There is some kind of relief, Think of it like coming for a breath of air while swimming.

I try to explain it this way because for all of the: It’s just a game/comic/anime people.
When the intellectual property dies. Due to Wokeness or some other form of activism. Those that were once invested have to let go of the intellectual property.
Just a play thing to serve the agendas of activists not the intellectual property that captured the hearts and minds of people.

People do move on, remembering what things once was. Which is why older pre Woke era comics outsell the stuff produced by current year Comics industry that has practically been taken over for the “modern audience”.
Or why RippaVerse is so successful, Audiences were hungry for alternatives.

With escapism people have nothing else in common other than their interests in the content. Events such as GamesCon ComicCon BlizzCon is a celebration by those that are fans and are invested in some way with the content.

Co-opting - infiltrating and subverting successful intellectual properties and franchises. demonstrates that the stuff that is being pushed the market audiences does not want. Otherwise there will be stand alone content for the “modern audiences” that would be successful.

3 Likes

Every azeroth race is inspired by real life cultures.
Stories, especially sci fi and fantasy ones, are very much made with real world in mind, for example star trek hamfists into you real life politics, and sapkovsky’s Witcher series are literally made for social commentary, it’s his own words.

I guess I don’t need to say what inspired LotR, and what kind of parallels you may find there

Actually i’m not wearing some futuristic viewer , while wearing some kind of full body tracker.
So i Guess that i’m not trying to play some kind of Second Life , or some ViRtual chat .

I’m not insayan.

Where? Exorcism and banish evil is just basic training for Paladin.

I was going to link the video. But if you search “Az’s Epic Starfield Anti Pronoun Rant {Full Rant}” You will see the funny rant of HeelsvsBabyface on Utube.

In that moment he spoke for a lot of people that are also sick and tired of endless current year politics.

1 Like

The Freedom of another it will leave yours

I’m not saying there are no parallels, I’m saying its a fantasy world and it shouldn’t be connected to our own.

The “escape” goes both ways, bad and good.

The challenge that you have there. Is that whilst games are free for everybody. There are those that will inevitably find where non exists real world politics or add and push for it within a fantasy setting.

Themes such as racial rivalries in Elder Scrolls for example with Humans and Elves generally disliking each other or Dwarves and Elves disliking each other in Warhammer Fantasy. Could be too strong a reminder for some of the real world.

Nords especially are open racists towards All Elves. As their people were genocided by the Snow Elves. At least the first settlers. Which led to a war that the Atmorrans who later became Nords were victorious. It adds to the world itself as playing as an Elf race in Windhelm is uniquely different experience to a human or anything else.

Those people will constantly make comparisons with the real world and refuse to immerse themselves into the fantasy universe created.

1 Like

Yes but it’s inspired by historical cultures, not modern day ones. There is a time and a place for everything. Things like Star trek for example, sure put in all the LGBT characters you want, it’s a sci-fi setting in the future where it is said that humanity has reached a utopian state. Fantasy settings are way more tricky to pull that stuff off. And I am not saying that WoW shouldn’t have LGBT character, it absolutely should have them, but in a world where A) succession and blood lines still very much matter and B) to put it bluntly bigotry runs rampart (more specifically racism towards the in universe races) I very much find it hard to believe that being non-binary is widely accepted. Or even if it is, will we ever see a character, hell lets even say that it will be exclusively a villain, that will be against those sensibilities?

1 Like