Do you think riot games new MMO will kill WoW?

As someone who’s played league of legends and wow for almost a decade I have to say i’m intrigued, but i just think it will be like valorant, a cool mmo people will play, but i don’t think any mmo will top wow anytime soon

If anything kills WoW it’s Blizzard, nothing else.

90 Likes

Honestly, does it matter? If I like it I’ll play it, regardless of whether it “kills WoW” or not. Guild Wars 2 didn’t kill WoW and yet I and many others still enjoy it.

I personally don’t see why any player should care about stuff like this. What matters is that the MMO they’re interested in is fun and enjoyable to play.

2 Likes

GW 2 was really fun for playing but I don’t like art style. I don’t think Riot can make good mmorpg.

2 Likes

No.

Diablo will cannibalize WoW players.

there are no wow killers other then wow it self and terrible decisions being made every patch :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Not sure why somebody would bother to think about it. If WoW is up then play it. Don’t like it for reason X? Fine, don’t play it. Everything eventually phases out and dies. I will simply play the game than wonder about 101 scenarios on what could kill WoW. :smiley:

Threads like this imply other MMOs can’t exist. So I guess GW2, FF14, TESO, etc. are dead because of WoW? Give me a break…

3 Likes

All m+ players will go playing Diablo 2 to do Tris runs :smiley:

If your asking is their coming a mmo that will be better in the "top"lists for mmo’s then I highly doubt it.

In my opinion their are only 5 mmo’s out there worth playing the others are not even up for debate and those mmo’s are as followed:
1: world of warcraft
2: the elder scrolls online ( this game is btw the only one that beated wow for a year or so since is has been game of the year a few years back. )
3: final fantasy 14
4: guild wars 2
5: runescape ( since it has its own unique gameplay )

but wow is still at the top of it but yeah will see maybe this game will do the trick of being another top mmorpg

GW2 didnt had hunders of millions of players alredy palying their games. Like Riot have with LoL and with all other their games. They have far bigger fanbase than Blizzard which is why their mmo will be at top no matter what.

2 Likes

And they are working strongly at killing the Alliance already.

5 Likes

WoW: Smothest combat and great sound design.
ESO: Enjoyable quests but poor combat.
FFXIV: Best mmo story there is, combat similar to wow but notably slower.
GW2: How world quests should have been, smooth combat.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if designers kinda try to kill WoW :smiley: seeing their decisions, enthusiasm over WoW I think they’re extremely tired of making it but they can’t make it too obvious.

Throwing more and more systems which add more variables to overall balance. Enforcing grind to prolong gameplay and to discourage rushers from doing what they do while punishing everyone else too.

3 Likes

league of legends is so popular because it can be played on a toaster and its free. i doubt an MMO is gonna be free or have low graphic requirements

3 Likes

Aestetics > graphics “quality”.

They could make a great looking mmo that doesn’t need the best and latest GPU. Though people would usually need a decent cpu due to the online component.

1 Like

No LoL is popular becouse its pretty good moba game with giant esport behind it.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I don’t think it will reach the 12m all time high anytime soon, but it is possible to beat current day wow, even on release. Although I’m very far from a LOL fan, I must admit that I have always found the universe interesting. I will certainly give it a try when it’s out.

1 Like

I think some people are sort of waiting for the next MMO generation to replace the current.

Like in the 2000’s there was a clear anticipation that some of the new MMORPGs that were in development would dominate the market and the older titles would be crushed beneath them.

You know, you had EverQuest, Lineage and Ultima Online that were seeing competition from Dark Age of Camelot and Anarchy Online and those other MMORPGs that had come out around the millennium.

And in the wake of that you got the next generation of MMORPGs.

EverQuest 2. Lineage 2. Star Wars Galaxies. The Matrix Online. Guild Wars. EVE Online. World of Warcraft.

Games that were made to replace the older titles.

And some of those games emerged as victorious and became giants in the markets. And others didn’t.

And since then you’ve had people who’ve always anticipated new titles to come out and dethrone the old kings – World of Warcraft in particular.

Warhammer Online. Age of Conan. Rift. Wildstar. Star Wars: The Old Republic. Final Fantasy XIV. The Elder Scrolls Online. Guild Wars 2. Lord of the Rings Online.

And some of them have definitely dethroned other MMORPGs and carved out a part of the market for themselves.

But World of Warcraft remains as the king on the market, generation after generation.

So now people are looking to the next generation. Riot’s MMORPG. Amazon’s New World. Will these be the games that can dethrone WoW? Will these be the games that truly ushers in the next generation of MMORPGs?

Unlikely.

But people naturally expect the abnormality that WoW is to eventually suffer the same fate as other old MMORPGs have and give way to newer titles.

But it hasn’t happened yet and I’m not seeing it happen any time soon either. :yum:

But it’s a cute recurring topic to see pop up every now and then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now this is a good example of a “dead” game cause it already has closed its doors.