Dragonflight terrible performance / low fps

i7 has faster single core speed by 28%

Wow is multithreaded tho altho there games that are even more heavily multithreaded, it sure can help start the game much faster tho :slight_smile:

Nope, the benchmark is not from a dungeon or raid.
They were just walking around the Ruby Lifeshrine with almost no other players around.
Dungeons and especially raids are much more taxing on the CPU because of all the spells and proccs etc. that have to be calculated from the combatlog and your addons like weakauras, details and so on.
The more mobs and players, the lower the FPS will be (in combat).

This is also why your FPS in LFR are alot higher than in say mythic 20man or 30man heroic.
Most people in LFR are just afking or pressing one button.
People in a progress raid are most likely maxing out their class and alot more attacks per second are parsing through the combatlog.

Even with the fastest CPUs you will drop below 60 in a raid when there are like 20 adds or so and everyone is aoeing at the same time with CDs and bloodlust.
For example Sire adds or Season 4 motes affix.
I had drops below 30 with my 5800X3D and drops to like 15 with my Ryzen 3900X.
Another extreme example was the pre-patch elemental invasion with several raids of players.

You mean the 5800X3D? This is because of the much bigger L3 Cache on the CPU.
It has 96MB instead of the usual 32MB.
In CPU-limited games this helps alot as you can see.
The CPU is about 30% faster than the normal 5800X which also has a higher clockspeed.

Not really. The heavy stuff like combatlog + addons is only calculated on one single thread.

Even with 1080p on 7 settings? I want to buy the same CPU as you have, but stay with my 1660ti as I donā€™t play other games that often, and other than wow - new games bore me, so GPU upgrade is not a necessity rn for me.

Shame itā€™s such a spaghetti code, if they did unleash potential of CPUā€™sā€¦ game would be way more pleasant.

How difficult is it to give the engine proper multi-core/threading? I know ZeniMax did that with ESO some years back.

The resolution has nothing to do with the CPU, that is the job of the GPU.
Even on settings 1 you will be CPU limited.
You can easily test that in Valdrakken.
Set your resolution scale to minimum (33%) and if the fps donā€™t change then you are hard CPU-limited.
Some settings like draw distance and level of detail will hit the CPU though.
But in a raid that does hardly make any difference since you are mostly in enclosed spaces anyways.

If you only play in 1080P on a 60Hz display you will be fine with that GPU.

I donā€™t really know the answer, but it seems itā€™s very hard, else they would have done it long ago.
Basically they would need to build a new engine from the ground up.
That will never happenā€¦ unless they do a WoW 2.0 someday.

Well thatā€™s a bummer needing a 1k Euro CPU every expansion.

Actually notā€¦ a Ryzen 5600 is pretty good for about 140ā‚¬.
The 5800X3D is 360ā‚¬ here but is the cheapest and best upgrade you can get if you are already on AM4.

I have a Ryzen 5 5600X 32gb ram and a RX 6900 XT. The performance I get in some areas is 40 fps in the open world. The game should not be running like garbage. But it is.

3 Likes

lol im getting system freezes on my 6900 XT i am just happy if i could be stable more AMD gpu owners have the same system freezes as well atleast that is the trend so far but mostly from full AMD systems.

Im getting stuttering tho when i dip low fps otherwise perfectly smooth

Just unsub untill it fixed.

I have two intel/nvidia systems of completely different specs. Only thing that is the same on both systems is the OS (win10 22h2). Whilst my performance is not not a complete mess. I do get a lot of stuttering and the like. I have another thread regarding this up on this forum.

Used to hit 165fps (my monitor refresh rate) pretty easily in Shallowlands at 7/10 performance settings. Now in Dragonlands i can regularly see 50-55 fps with the same rig, this is utterly unacceptable (32gb 3600mhz RAM, R7 5800x3d, RTX 3060).

1 Like

Where are you getting 50-55 FPS?
I got a X3D too and even in raids or Valdrakken i get better FPS than that.

On my NASA rig (GTX 4090, 32gigs of RAM, Asus Apex, Intel-12900K @5.3Ghz) the performance in and near the main city is terrible, close to 60 fps, supper choppy. So bad that I just donā€™t want to play there. It doesnā€™t matter if the game is set to 7 or ultra settings. The problem is that the area is not optimized to host many players at once, probably due rush in development. It remindes me korean quality in terms of MMORPGā€¦ this is what the game has become.

2 Likes

Just passing by to bump this thread since blizzard is waiting for it to die and ignore their unprofessional work!

FIX THE GAME.

1 Like

meybe they have some new korean interns stagiary?

Yeah, they should be more focused on performance.

xDDDDDDDDD pinocchio

1 Like

Have you checked that your monitor is plugged into the actual graphics card?
make sure the monitor lead isnā€™t plugged into the motherboardā€™s IGPU (where all the USB are) the graphics card is located further down just above the PSU