Dragonflight will be the expansion that killed World of Warcraft

I thought you left.

I think this is quite important, reinforced by several streamers that stopped playing or began covering other games and content. It has shown that wow addiction can easily be cured with… other addictions. Or just by having fun somewhere else.

I mean, it would’ve probably happened anyway sooner or later, but SL triggered it to a degree.

1 Like

u clearly downplaying the damage shadowland had caused for wow. DF won’t recover from shadowland damage for multiple reasons.

People are sceptical of blizzard now considering their most hyped expansion recently that sold like 3.7 million copies on its launch day was complete garbage and even when given time it became worse.

Shadowlands ruined the story more than any of the other expacs and df isn’t recovering that by giving us a more relaxed wokecraft disney plot.

Pple burnt themselves out on shadowlands just to be relevant cause it was forced, when pple realized u dont need to no life df and still be relevant after taking a few months break it hits u differently.

We have had 3 expansions in a row that was pure grind, of course the damage from that wont motivate pple to play df just cause it has less grind cause pple are already sick of blizzard promises

2 Likes

Famous last words.

Considering he suggested “resetting WoW” (including everything you ever owned in WoW) recently in a stream/clip… Yeah, I would join that sentiment of yours, Toki.

1 Like

He stopped actually playing wow and the only thing he needs wow for is farming controversy, his viewers like to see his old man rants about the game that he actively have been playing for half of his life.
But the only things he plays nowadays is gacha trash and sometimes freshly released projects

I mean yh, he does essentially farm views on wow content just to make it sound like “playing wow in 2023 omegalul”. He doesnt directly say that wow is outdated and only losers play it and he himself has more integrity to play it, meanwhile he wasted half his life and turned his back to it only to trashtalk it, meanwhile making it sound like he isnt. We all know his predicteble nature. If wow was good and hyped he would no life it, but it isnt so now he farms views doing react videos and irrelevant anime stuff. Kinda sad, actually thought asmon had more selfrespect than buying into typical mainstream media, all he does is talk about nonsense topics that has no relevance whatsoever but people like hearing his opinion because it sounds smart, because he usually makes his arguments based on logic. He has also swayed away from being blunt about things, and tries to appease everyone by not saying smthn most of us are thinking. Better word is prob “vague”. Hes vague like a politicans about his views, and always leaves room for interpretation as to not sound like an a55 to some people watching his stream. Meanwhile he makes a fuss about the woke culture but follows along with it at the same time.

I don’t know about raids and mythic+ but Dragonflight is certainly the best expansion for newcomers since I started at the end of BfA/beginning of Shadowlands

It have everything from other expansions.

I’m playing since ending of TBC and for sure this expansion is real crap like BFA or even WOD.

1 Like

i like df… still having fun

could some things be better yes.
Mainly salty about trinkets and drop % in m+ but well…

1 Like

Azmondouche having integrity? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA…

That piece of trash has literally zero integrity whatsoever - he’ll say whatever will get him the most views and money, whether he believes in what he says or not.

2 Likes

Unless it outright just attacking the game devs or other players

I tried introducing my 15 year old nephew to the game, he usually plays Overwatch etc.
It made me feel very - VERY - old and like something has been lost there…
All he said was “Cringe cringe cringe” and “Uuugh slooow.”. He was into the “idea” of Monk to “kick” things, but that never really happened… he rolled around and then never played it again.

We played the introduction in its entirety together, and it was hard sitting through it with him cause he seemed so … hating it… the entire time.
I’m really worried that the newer generation of “tiktok”-attentionspan is just not going to enjoy this type of game.
(His friends were same)

It’s most likely just the sample-size that was the issue, but it still worried me.
I, too, have played WoW less than before; but it kept slowing down ever since Legion due to RNG-on-RNG-on-RNG factors which took away the fun for me in the bigger picture.
It made me feel like I was truly just running on a wheel of cheese-luring snarks invention.

I still enjoy WoW; aspects of it. Like I can relax with leveling, farming something, get KSM which is a goal I can see the progress of.
I’ve challenged myself to the Hardcore-challenge, died at 54 cause out of nowhere enemies scaled to hit super hard (retail).
Might re-start that challenge since it is somewhat interesting still.

I’ve been playing Classic Era and WoTLK, feeling like “Why am I doing this, really? I have done this before, when it was current content…” - my only goal was doing old scholomance and get the leather set, I saw one piece drop and a hunter took it.
Made me kinda loose interest there too.

I try play other games, but I don’t know…
My passion was killed for gaming, I think.
It’s harsh to wake up to that reality and feel like everything is beyond pointless, knowing your depression has gotten worse and knowing there’s nothing to fix it (I have tried and still try lots of things, inc talk to professionals and medication).

Somehow, when WoW stopped being my passion; I just got worse overall and never found that spark again.
Getting old sucks, I guess, and it’s terrible seeing something you used to love; be so bland now…
I partly blame RNG on RNG on RNG stuff, and partly the terrible direction of “no edges allowed” content. Its all just… filed down to some dust-like substance of nothingness.
The story is really boring… A lot of characters have forever been ruined… even old lore got tainted due to SL…
It’s just… pointless?

Rambling… I know. Sorry.

2 Likes

I was born in 2001 and grew up with a lot of technology, being very much there for the rise of smartphones and such. I first tried WoW when I was around 13 and absolutely hated it, for the same reasons, it was too slow and there was just too much to look into. However I tried it again when I was ~17, at the very start of BfA, and I absolutely loved it, and still do now.

I admit the level boost included with the expansion helped, having played a lot of LoL before I was used to a lot of abilities and starting out with just one would’ve probably felt too slow so boosting my first character definitely helped with that, but afterwards the story and cinematics sucked me in (I saw the BfA launch cinematic as an ad on youtube, that’s what sold it to me, it was epic and is still in my opinion one of the best launch cinematics ever) and I just wanted to learn more, so I made a different character just to see the story of each expansion. Then I got a lot of the books, then I wanted “to be stronger” so I cared a lot about performance, got my first KSM in BfA season 4 and my first (and only, raiding isn’t for me, too slow) AotC in Ny’Alotha and yeah now I’m here.

The leveling experience starting at level 1 is grueling for someone used to very fast action, like someone coming from Overwatch as your nephew, however if you show them the end game rotation of something like a fire mage or generally something faster which needs reaction time I think it would go a long way, instead of starting them off with one ability. Maybe show them an end game rotation, and if they’re interested only do Exile’s Reach as a tutorial to show them the base mechanics, like targeting mobs and interrupts and buffs etc. Afterwards consider boosting, and explain the general idea of keybinds (i.e. the most used spells should be the easiest to press, the extremely situational/non-combat ones don’t need a keybind at all etc.), and try to show them the world, show them the beautiful zones the game has to offer with a hint of the story, for example Ardenweald if they’re into that aesthetic, or Maldraxxus if they want more violence, or just the Dragon Isles if you wanna show the general game world.

Or maybe it’s just not the right time for them to play this type of game. Wait a bit and maybe try again. Either way, new people are coming into the game and many are fairly young, I see that every day in Newcomer Chat, as well as a lot of people new to MMOs in general.

Your nephew is cringe, he plays overwatch, what did you expected.

I’m 21, started to play wow in legion pre patch when my grandma gave me money on my 14th birthday on which i bought legion expansion

I do agree it’s dragonflight. I think that despite borrowed power having mostly been eliminated, DF changed a lot of fundamental systems that sap the fun from the game but are not easy to recognise.
These i find to be the increased complexity with class trees, the increased difficulty of the game and the unrewarding new loot system. Special mention to how grindy professions are and the gold inflation. The token price has skyrocketed as well.
I don’t think it’s the story. This game was never about the story and zones, it was about the gameplay, and imo it’s simply not very fun even compared to SL that had it’s own issues. Also, SL season 4 was amazing and going to this afterwads was disappointing.
I just think people are like: “Yeah, it’s a good game cause everything is there, but i don’t feel like playing (cause the fun isn’t there)”.

We did entirety of exiles isle and he was just… oozing with that “I am just here for my aunt”-feeling. :frowning:
I’ll try sometime to show him more end-game stuff, possibly when I am over to visit (He & my sisters family live far away) so he can try it himself.

Thanks for your encouraging story tho. I do hope he feels like playing it someday, since WoW has been a HUGE part of over half my life now, it just means something to me and it’d be fun to play with him.
I’ve had other family members (Included my now deceased father) play WoW and enjoy it, in a vastly different manner than I did (he liked just leveling and doing old dungeons alone, not even to gather anything - just to kill the bosses without other people).

We’ll see. I’ll try again anyway, otherwise I guess he is just not the type of person for this game - right now, anyway.

1 Like

He is 15… its a bit of a difference having been 21 in legion, vs being 15 now in DF.
Legion still had pull. DF is quite… dead, in comparison. :confused:

As for him being “cringe”, I’m kind of tired of people even using that word, but I guess it’s just their generation. They explain things in a very very simpleton kind of way… few words, few letters.

Dude, I said I was 14 when legion released, I’m NOW 21.

Gibberish, I remember people saying that wow can’t grab new players in legion period too, there are new players always. Of course there’ll never be drastic increase of new players into the game like it was in WotLK, but it’s inevitable

There is no proper analogue to this word in English, it’s a good word and I bet will make it to dictionaries

1 Like

The word is far older than the current generation.