Dragonflying ruined the world - Remove flying

Let’s get one thing straight, the reason why so many normies complained about wanting flying back is because they think it’s more convenient to get around. Very, very naive. What happens in actuality? If you can move 8 times faster Blizzard simply makes the zones 8x larger to keep up with engagement metrics. Except now instead of moving through a dynamic world you’re playing some energy points mini-game in the sky, bypassing everything and losing all connection to the zones. The result is a huge empty world that feels lifeless. It arguably takes longer to get around now than in SL and it’s more annoying. Blizzard also puts less effort into the zones because they need to be huge for this reason. It also ruins world pvp.

I’m absolutely appalled that Blizzard thinks this is a success and the model for future expansions?

To conclude, Legion/BFA/SL zone design with NO flying was much better than this.

16 Likes

I see that you’re bashing world design as a result of Dragonriding, but I’m not sure what your argument is about regular flying. Perhaps I’m tired and misreading.

You say those who find regular flying convenient to be very naive? Druid flight form disagrees with you. Of course Dragonriding is superior for covering large distances, but for hopping around short distances it has nothing on flight form. Different horses for different courses…

3 Likes

I’m saying both dragonflying and regular flying should be removed because they ruin zone design. They serve no purpose.

8 Likes

Feels like flying is one of their biggest ´´you think you do´´ mistakes in WoW.

Never felt less engaged in the world than I do now. Definitely a big worry for the next expansion, because I really like how the zones look.

2 Likes

Never had more fun in wow than when they added dragonridinflg

13 Likes

Size matters, bigger the zones better the game experience

4 Likes

No… The point is that flying is only accessible once players have played through the zones as designed. Once you’ve played through the content, trundling along on the ground becomes a grind and the ‘design’ just becomes annoying. (Dragonriding being available early in DF is fine, because the maps were designed with that in mind.)

Edit: To be clear, I’m all in favour of maps being ground-only for a period (initial playthrough or whatever), but if it includes regular repeat content and WQs you can prize flying from my cold, dead hands. I’m not interested in spending 80% of my limited time in-game trudging along slowtime. (Classic caters for those interests…)

4 Likes

Well they activly tried to remove it but the playerbase cried too much.

2 Likes

I have zero interest in ‘connecting with the zones’ on my way to the next dungeon.

4 Likes

It sounds like you would be totally in favor of just adding instant teleports to all destinations right? Like just right click on map and you’re instantly there.

Dynamic Flying has been a universal success, and that can’t be denied.

It’s just a fact. They wouldn’t have made almost every single flying mount in the game Dynamic Flying compatible if it wasn’t true.

3 Likes

Fully agree. People keep saying: heeyy, did you see AZURE SPAN, it’s like 10x bigger than Elwynn!!! COOL
Yeah, but… It’s like 4 quest hubs and HUGE plains between them. Wow, so cool! What do we have in Azure Span? Soup location, elite gnolls area and mini-torghast at the top. Yeah, it’s so big. Big nothing.

1 Like

Northrend was bigger than Dragon Isles.
So no,they are not bigger than ever before cause of df(just bigger than SL zones)
If they remove dragon flying I don’t mind,I don’t care for it.
But normal flying I do like and want it to stay tyvm.

2 Likes

To quote a Redditor who did the math:

"Assuming Elwynn Forest is the size of the average Eastern Kingdom/Kalimdor Zone… and Azure Span is about the size of the average Dragon Isle Zones… you can fit 8.4 Eastern Kingdom/Kalimdor Zones into each Dragon Isle one.

At four major Dragons Isle Zones, that’s 33.6 zones.

Dragon Isles is literally the size of the entire Eastern Kingdoms + half of Kalimdor."

I’d post the image of the size comparison, but I don’t have the chat permissions.

1 Like

Dragonriding was the best thing added to the game in since 2004

2 Likes

Omg…I ve heard that before and its such lies…
Don’t embarass yourself and quote such nonsense please.
Is just wrong.
Just look at the map,don’t quote some no name who is apparently a DI cartographer.

1 Like

I checked his math. It’s mostly accurate. I wouldn’t be posting it if it wasn’t.

Not even close.Transmog,Lfg and Lfr are some of but Df is like not even mid of the list.:innocent:

2 Likes

me trying to think if this thread is the 1% or 99%

1 Like

I would argue pvp solo queue maybe, but i meant actual fun feature for the game not endgame.