Drops in FPS, out of nowhere! A supportive thread please :) PC ONLY

been in many instances / castle nathria 150+ fps, as sson as i step inside spires i get 55fps after 9.0.5

2 Likes

Same FPS issue… Bastion has a lot of FPS drops along with dungeons for some reason (spires being the worst).

There’s obviously a lot of people experiencing this and probably many more that just don’t post on forums or anywhere.

2 Likes

Same FPS issue here on two computers…
both are ryzen with a gtx/rtx with the latest nvidia drivers…
extremly performance issues also in the WHOLE OLD WORLD

2 Likes

Got the same problem.
There are more posts about this already, give these some attention to please.

2 Likes

I’ve gone through the advised troubleshooting page that blizzard gives, and nothing has changed.

The previous more popular post on FPS drops seemed to have been hijacked by blizzard as a MAC only post.

It would be nice if this is a PC only post so they can reply to PC players and not only Mac players.

I hope they can also reply outside of the ‘check this troubleshooting page’ scope.

1 Like

update:
It clearly has something to do with anima conductor stream animations because on my alts in area’s where i did not activated the anima conductor i have no fps issues.
For the instance SoA (and i read SD has the same problem) there is probably a similar animation in the instance.

1 Like

Any news or is Blizz just hoping the threads will die away and remain hidden in some corner of the forum ?

1 Like

i think they are clueless

1 Like

They just pay no attention to any branches other than their own us.forum.
And they have been receiving our money with an almost constant decline in the quality of the game over the past 5 years. And they don’t give a damn about us, because it’s even funny that in the patch in which nothing has changed, such technical problems appeared.
From all this and the number of complaints on the US forum, I highly doubt that something will be fixed by Wednesday or even by next week.
And the most offensive thing is that now Blizzard can blame everything on remote work and the coronavirus, because this is the easiest thing, right?

1 Like

Playing Spires of Ascension dungeon with 20 fps, was 60 before 9.0.5. Bastion’s huge anima conductor lines killing FPS.

5 Likes

Everything is the same, plus also incomprehensible flickering in the bastion and spires. And the possibility is subjective, a decrease in FPS and in a raid.

2 Likes

My fps dropped by about 20 in every outdoor zone after 9.05. Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650

2 Likes

Changing the resolution from 1080p to 720p will double the FPS for almost everyone.

Same issue here, frequent FPS drops and stuttering.

I initially thought it was to do with Windows Defender but even after turning that off the problems persisted.

I recommend trying to switch from Dx12 to 11 in the advanced settings, it seems to have done the trick for me (fingers crossed).

1 Like

Not working for me(cuz i etc have 100% gpu in the spires, which was not even close before this buggy patch

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’ve tried switching the DirectX’s with no success. I also tried changing the resolution, updating windows, reinstalling the game, disabbling addons, putting resolution scale even lower than 50% to omega giga pixel mode (which gave me just 10 fps extra).

2 Likes

Yes, this does not happen when the day before the patch everything was fine, and after that the problems started even on a completely clear client

1 Like

When you deleted your addons, did you reinstall any?

Im downloaded a completely new client, completely reinstall the gpu drivers and updated windows to the latest builds. No effect.
rtx 2070, 16gb ram, 9600k.
Even when rendering at 100%, i have problems in the spires after the patch and loading the GPU up to 100% in places, which was not the case before the patch at 200% rendering … That is, the drop is less than 60 frames …
And also disgusting flickering on the place with last boss, flickering swords at the entrance and other graphic strange things.

2 Likes

The reason i am asking, is that Addons that run innefficient loops, can accumulate fps hits over time, so if you reinstalled any addons, afterwards it may still be an issue, if that one addon you reinstalled is the problem. Deleting the WTF which stores addon memory may sometimes work, but if you keep the addon then it still persists. Regardless if you did infact delete them and not reinstall them then that is obviously not the issue, and you can reinstall all your addons again, if they arent the problem no need to treat them as a variable.

Its worth noting that FPS drops can happen if your system uses too much ram, or has been turned on for “too long”. But since you rebooted thats probably not the case either. Unless you boot chrome with 500k tabs everytime.

A lot of the time players are quick to blame an update in a game for their fps loss, while it may be completely coincidential. I will say though that an update to like the one we just had is unlikely to be the cause of any framerate changes within existing content, but its plausible.

I would argue that 16GB of ram is on the low side if you run other software in the background, though it depends on those programs and how effecient your bus is, which on newer systems is pretty fast. So older systems need more RAM than newer systems to operate with same ease.

You might also be experiencing whats called artifacts, with what you describe as flickering swords. This means its more likely to be an issue with your Graphics card; it could be memory, gpu or otherwise. If you have another Graphics Card lying around you could try to swap it and see if it helps. I doubt very much its a software issue related to World of Warcraft based on your description and troubleshooting so far. I am much more inclined to believe its a hardware issue with you RTX2070, or a driver issue, the latter you can do very little about. HOWEVER, there is something you can try.

Uninstall ALL Graphics card drivers, then clean install the newest drivers.

IF you don’t uninstall your previous drivers, they may become corrupt as they try to recycle old data. Think of it like you are shopping for spare parts, instead of buying new. You may keep the older yet seemingly functional duds and studs, but they don’t quite fit with the new parts because they have deformed in use, and thus they may look fine, and operate fine, but won’t fit. Take for example swapping tires on a car:

You ought to swap all four, but most only swap the two most worn. The other looks fine, but are actually pretty worn, and its not as safe to drive, as swapping all four. If you only swap 1 or swap 3, that can actually be straight up dangerous.

For your Graphics Card drivers, which reuse parts of an older installation, this can sometimes cause glitches, and artifacts, and sometimes straight up break the card, which is why you should always do clean installs, yet I for one am a bad boy just doing the easy fast install.

So what can you do:
Start with uninstalling all Graphics Card drivers, then install the newest.
If that doesn’t fix the issue, try to swap the Graphics Card to a different one.
If that still doesnt help. You might have an issue with your PSU, or multible issues.
If your PSU is a cheap one… throw it out! Never cheap out on the PSU! You might also have insufficient power for your system, because while its rated 80bronze 500W it might not deliver 500W. and the 9600k is a hungry chip, pair that with rtx2070 and some driver updates… ugh 500w 80 bronze is not sure to be enough.
If you like all the rad kids nowadays have an entire stageshow with RGB lights, then it only stacks. If that fails too… then oh boy it might be the Motherboard. However now we’re entering territory where you should be experiencing these issues systemwide. Fire up Another AAA title, and if the issues are not pressent in at least 1 out of 10 other AAA, then its not the Motherboard or PSU.

At which point you might want to take a look at Nvidia’s fora.

PS: It’s actually quite normal that you get FPS hits in Cities, when the cities are full of players etc. this is due to the extra geometry and textures, which needs to be rendered. The same reason why we have Raid-profiles today. You might want to look into an addon that dynamically changes profiles if the fps drops too much, though this will require reloads frequently.