Ectoplasmic Distiller abuse is gamebreaking and needs to be fixed

The item “Ectoplasmic Distiller” which you receive during the T0.5 Quest is absolutely gamebrekaing. When you place it it stands there like a totem for 3min and buffs everyone in the raid every 1.5seconds. Each buff gives about 25 Threat for the user. With optimal placement this results in ~700-1000 TPS in a 40-man raid. On top of that the distiller only has a 1min CD but 3min duration meaning there can be 3 up at the same time, resulting in a maximum single target TPS of 3000. The threat is also increased from defensive stance/bear form multiplier making it absolutely broken. It was already tested that you as a tank can literelly go AFK if there are 2-3 distillers up and still hold aggro. For more informations check out the Druid Classic or Fight Club Discord there are already some videos of the testing. It is clearly not intended that a quest item (which you even lose if you continue the quest chain and want to get the T0.5 Set) is the best threat generator in the entire game. I hope this will get hotfixed asap since it trivializes the content even more.

3 Likes

Im guessing this is the same bug demo shout used to have

Ignite mage and warlocks heavy breathing.

1 Like

If this is fixed, I’ll quit.
This is EXACTLY how it was back in classic and there are posts on reddit YEARS AGO that described this behaviour.
It is a real authentic classic experience that this “bug” is in the game

2 Likes

In that case, can we have your stuff?

It was well know from the start. Why shouldn’t tanking be allowed to be a little less stressful? I search usually 1 hour for a tank because nobody wants to do it in classic …

Confirming or denying if thats actually how its supposed to be should be the main focus of the classic gm team atm. This is quite literally a gamechanging mechanic if its working as intended.

Yet another consumable I’ll need on my shaman tank!

1 Like

Apparently it has been hotfixed. Question is: WHY?
It worked the same way as in the reference client.
People used this item back then to tank - why shouldn’t we use it now?

1 Like

Are we aiming for a game with the exact same vulnerabilities as vanilla, or a game where playing it best resembles vanilla?

Keeping something consistent with the reference client doesn’t mean the gameplay is closer to vanilla. It seems that in this particular case (where we were all expecting a massive proportion of tanks to begin abusing this as opposed to vanilla), we’d be redefining a tank meta and actually moving away from vanilla

Let’s not move further away from vanilla because of this attachment to matching the reference client on everything (especially bugs)

2 Likes

We already moved away from vanilla.
Metas have changed.

And is it really redefining metas when tanks of top guilds used it back then? People knew how this item worked, even back then.

1 Like

I got this yesterday to try it out - cost me 250g or there abouts, I was hoping just to get a chance to try it out, but I guess I knew the risk & in all honesty I wouldn’t have necessarily enjoyed the change to the meta. If they nerfed diamond flask today, I’d be happy with it - I feel like I had a good run testing it out over the last 3-4 months, and in any normal cycle it’d have been patched out by now.

As much as I agree with the sentiment of not making the game any easier, or trying to replicate what vanilla WoW was in practice when the playerbase was less refined, there’s definitely something to be said for turning warrior tanks into DPS with some extra threat talents ignoring the other side of what tanking is meant to be about (mitigating and avoiding damage) in order to be viable in the meta. That’s not fixed by buffing our threat so we can put on defensive gear that we’ve proven we don’t need: it would only be fixed by making it impossible for us to survive boss fights without a shield

If it’s the first step on the road to changes that make the game more challenging on the level that it was for the majority of players in vanilla (nerfing world buffs, diamond flask, nerfing tank survivability, nerfing paladin GBOK threat spam, even buffing the content itself) then I’m all for it… I doubt it though; this looks like an isolated change, that may not even get an explanation.

1 Like

We already moved away from vanilla.

Metas have changed, you’re absolutely right. ClassicLFG, spellcleave, boosting, worldbuff requirements, having Spy installed, and more. I can’t say I view any of these things favourably at all, but that’s out-of-scope here.

I don’t think we should willingly move further away from vanilla simply because we’re not right at the perfect spot

Something else to consider: this has been nerfed so quickly that it’s unlikely that it was a properly debated within Blizzard on the merits of it being a change to the recreation of “how it was” - it’s so quick that it suggests very few people were involved in the decision, and possibly the change was deployed by 1 person who saw it as a “bug”

It’s possible they could reverse it, so that it is in line with the reference client

1 Like

You have just made every pally with tank gear cry, was so excited at trying this out oh well tbc in a year’s time… I is not happy

1 Like

It sure does not affect me in the least because I wasn’t going to explo… I mean, “use” the item that way with my warrior for tanking purposes, but I have a question for those who feel somewhat cheated because of this hotfix: Would it be more enjoyable for you to have an automatic “I win” item without you having to do anything to actually win?

I mean, if you had the possibility to choose between:

a) Playing the game and possibly making mistakes from time to time
b) Watching the game play itself because it is impossible to make any mistake

Which one would you choose?

1 Like

I don’t think we should willingly move further away from vanilla simply because we’re not right at the perfect spot

Using distiller would actually let us go back towards vanilla, because tanks could actually wear tank items again and spec into prot. It would move us away from having a discount dps as tank.
Distiller would literally make the game feel more like vanilla.

1 Like

Are we really going to say that exploiting distiller on nuts positioning of raid members is closer to vanilla than a furyprot dual-wielding warrior tank

Having a machine pump threat for you… No. It’s even worse than pally tanks spamming kings with class stacking

It is closer to vanilla in terms of tank gameplay, yes. The raid doesn’t have to do any weird positioning for it, either. You can just put one on the boss, hit at least all melee with it, and out-tps everyone as deep prot. Like they did in vanilla, basically.

You still play the game while the machine pumps threat, by the way. It’s like you actually afk any encounter, unless you’re memeing that one time.

Besides, a large part of vanilla was to figure out new encounters. Having distiller means you could actually start playing around with how to use it best. While this is not exactly a solid argument to keep it in the game, I would have welcomed the opportunity to find way to use it on encounters where that is more complicated (such as multiple targets, multiple tanks, etc.)

I don’t think we’re ever going to agree on this; trivialising threat seems like the antithesis of vanilla tank gameplay to me

If pulsing on melee is enough to outtps everyone then that’s even worse