Eternity’s End Preview: Solo Shuffle

Disable WoW in-game voice communication and addons too. Make it true hardcore. Experiment other X vs X brackets in Skirmish mode in following 10.X patches. So potentially we could have solo ques for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 in the far future.

Come on Holinka. Don’t let all that pumping of iron and coaching football teams go to waste.

Queue hell? How?

I had a quick read over the article but cant quite spot a reference towards the exact reward structure. Would that gain us a lot of conquest, rating towards the currently rated modes or progress towards the season mount?

Very little to be excited over since PVP is a horrible and neglected mess.

1 Like

Ofc you can’t be excited because you neither play nor have an idea about pvp. I wonder why you comment at all about something you have no idea about. Pvp players have wanted something like this for years.

2 Likes

Sounds good on paper. Lets see…lets give it a chance at first.
So far from what ive read…im kinda afraid for it beign too time consuming. 6 matches for one brawl.
From that there is another danger rising up…since they decide to fight this long time with reducing mana regen and possibly restricting drinking alltogether…where that will idd end matches faster…it will also profit some healer specs way way more…for example priest will get f with this…it will be also insanely frustrating for healers …which is a role that isnt very highly represented…

Anothe thing is that this will promote and profit mobgoloid cleaves way more …since the games will be about going in popping all cds and zugzuging someone down or just cleaving healer till hes oom…
Some slec with dampening comps and playstyle will get kinda left behind imho…like moonkins, ele, sp, affly, mage lock etc…

Idk how to balance it so the brawl doesnt last for an hour…also if this brawl doesnt have rating of some sort…it will serve to nothing… we can q skirmishes for that already…thats the whole point of soloq, to get paired with like minded/skilled players.

But as i said…lets give it a chance at first…

Also it would be nice to implement this for 2s aswell…stop forcing us in every way possible to play 3s…just face the fact that 2s are way more popular.

You won’t lure randoms into voice communication and your games will be of poor quality thanks to pathetic matchmaking, gear difference or simply for the lack of coordination among the players.

Basic solo queue system for 2s/3/5s might be interesting at first, but you’re likely to to enjoy playing with proper composition that works for your character, along with friends who you actually trust can perform (synergy, diminishing returns on CC and stuff).

Expand it to 10 and 15 player battleground teams, this becomes a complete clownfest. Do you allow class stacking at all? Do you match class for class, spec for spec? How will all of this affect the queue times or will there even be a pool of players to choose from to properly set up somewhat even teams? What if a player with half of your team average HP somehow joins, it literally makes him dead weight.

Unless they standardize everyone’s stats for this, it’s entirely pointless and literally no different to what we currently have to suffer in random battlegrounds if we manage to end up in a game where one side doesn’t have a 5-team premade.

Ofcourse, they hear SOLOQUEUE that players have been screaming over for the past decade but fail to realize it simply won’t work with current progression and gearing game design philosophies. They won’t allow a fair fight, but instead hope you keep playing for 3 months until you reach the max possible item level.

Take Heroes of the Storm for example; the game had proper solo and team ranked queue at start. Eventually they merged the game modes and everyone started complaining over how mixing premades against randoms in 5v5 format simply does not work well. In the end, they just hid the premade group indicators on loading screens so the other team doesn’t get demoralized and decides to afk at start. The game is now slowly dying but at the time the decision was made, it had very healthy population numbers.

Instead of all this, focus on balancing factions and fix war mode to place players into specific phases more evenly. Large scale mayhem is the most realistic and enjoyable thing this game can achieve and is more likely to lure in players that suffer from some kind of performance anxiety when it comes to small Arena teams and help ease their entry into competitive gameplay. Currently there are 2-3 large scale maps which are dead because there is little fighting in them, since the optimal approach is to rush objectives and expect a 5 minute match.

Lets not forget the fact how unenjoyable PVP is thanks to poor balancing, or simply because their class has been neglected by the devs for the last six months. For many it’s just an alternate avenue to acquiring gear that helps them beat scripted dragons, and If you ask me, absolutely no player power gains should ever come out of it, only ladder prestige and cosmetics. Participation should be its own reward.

1 Like

Sounds like a convoluted mess. Just give us solo queue already and stop being so scared that people will instantly unsub if they don’t get teamed with overpowered specs.

4 Likes

pretty much this tbh… people wanted solo queue so they could do casual pvp with no stress…

those people got overlooked again in regard to this content… typical honestly.

“we listened to feedback and decided to do it our way”

2 Likes

Depends how this will be implemented. If this is just a small test bed where it is not ranked and just a queue to throw yourself into to farm honor/conquest then that would be fine to an extent (I can still see toxicity festering with the meta being to dogpile the weaker class in that group)

Rated? Killing one opponent and declaring that a win is bang out of order and won’t sit well with the sweaty hardcore pvp nerds.

In theory this system has a potential to improve PvP gameplay on few conditions:

1. Rating matching and at least some kind of rewarding (conquest, ilvl rated upgrades, etc) - without it there will be no Proof-of-Concept as people will just skip this “brawl” (as many skip skirmishes)
  2. Give at least 15-30 seconds before ending game based on first death - keep in mind, that second team may very well be strategically ahead leading to a kill or even series of kills. Don’t like 2v2 situations? Just use BG Flag system - the last team to score kill in this time bracket is the winner. This will protect players from “accident kills”, as teams will have to think ahead and actully survive a bit after scoring a kill.

Back to the topic of real solo (duo and etc) queue in 2v2, 3v3 and RBG (don’t forget about this bracket, please). Playing the game (PvP in this case) in unbalanced setup or against premade > not playing at all and waiting for perfect matchup in group finder (for few hours). You will win some, you will loose some - it is ok! As long as rating matchmaking is implemented, you still have better chances to gradually improve rating and yourself (including gear).

Will premades have advantage? Yes! But a proper premade with meta setup will always be ahead in rating. So players who are starting the rating climb will not be affected, while high rated players even on their own will be much more competitive based on their experience. Those who seek best setups will still use group finder and won’t be hurt in any way, but, please, let the rest just play the game.

Finally, about social aspect of group finder (that we somehow loose if we have solo/duo/etc queue). I think there is some confusion between “searching for best setup and top experience” with “social interaction”. 30 mins of searching and disbanding after a loss doesn’t seem like a good interaction. On contrary, trying games with different players and in different setupts on same rating through automatic queue might lead you to actually “socializing”. As you win games together, you are much likely to become real partners, start communication, queue together for next matches and add each other. I mean succeeding together is much better proof of synergy and skill, than showing each other achievements in group finder.

All in all, Solo Shuffle is a fine concept. But it wont replace solo/duo/etc (automatic) queue in 2v2, 3v3 and RBG. Give it a try :slight_smile:! And dont’t worry: those who search optimal gameplay will still use Group Finder, but other people will finally get to play (when and how they want), make friends on the way and become better versions of themselves through continious practice!

I hope my wall of text will reach someone :slight_smile: Thank you!

While I support rounds ending quickly, I really don’t think “first to get a kill wins” is a good solution. Obviously, all players will get their chance to play with every other player, which may balance out the toxicity. If you kill someone easily in one round and the next they’re in your team, you know you have to defend them.

I think changing… overall class balancing, but mainly mana balancing will be a better way of keeping rounds short. Balance it around each round lasting maybe 90 seconds - quick blasts, a match is around 9 minutes. In current arena, some rounds can drag out for minutes, mainly due to healers’ infinite mana.

the only people who will potentially like this system is the people who play nothing but pvp …

it wont bring very many new people into pvp if any at all. as it is still unwelcoming to potential players.

if u ask me and a lot of people will hate this…

i think they need to drop arena completely and go back to grass routes… when it was just a pvp for the fun of gamemodes not competition.

I had personally hoped for RGB solo queues since I play primarily Guardian, and prefer RBGs over arena. Still hoping Blizzard will make a Solo RBG solution :slight_smile:

Does that mean that tanks do not have the opportunity to participate in the Solo shuffle?

In that case, you should make a disclaimer in the character creation, and in the spec description, where you clearly state that tanks can not participate in all parts of the game.

Do not think it will increase the number of tanks in this game

• Unlike regular Arena, the first team to kill an opponent will immediately win the round.

Give 10s grace period for counter kill.

Also you limit 1 round time to x minutes, if all participants alive - winner will be the team which did more damage.

I’m not sure the shuffle format will really work to prevent certain specs from underperforming, because certain other specs will inevitably work better with more team combinations than others, unless you were to do a complete balance rehaul taking in consideration this format, which would then probably negatively impact the balance in classical 2v2 and 3v3 formats.

Also as others have pointed out this system seems like it’s overly complicated and comes with its own problems as you have also stated yourself, like the games dragging out to be too long. Personally this format doesn’t seem as appealing as Solo Queue could be.

What I think would be a better and simpler solution at least from a player perspective is just plain and simple Solo Queue, but rating and possible titles/ranks would be tied to spec specific leaderboards and on your position in that leaderboard. When you’d open the tool, or someone would inspect you it would show your currently active specialization Solo rating and when you’d switch your spec it would change accordingly. (A crude illustration of what it could look like in the tool: imgur(dot)com/5JSLqSO.png)

This would mean that the system would stay relatively simple and no other balance adjustments that you have suggested would have to be done. Alternative option in my opinion would be to allow players to white, or blacklist which specializations they want or don’t want to be matched with. But personally I find the former option quite intriguing for some reason, perhaps it would allow us players to discover new meta and for developers to get useful data how different specs and team combinations interact with each other.

Overall however I’m really excited that you guys are looking into implementing solo queue and improving the group finder tool so thank you for that!

1 Like

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! PLEASE
Dudes, I’m the typical casual player, getting older, have less time, I just want to play the damn game! For years and years I’ve been leaving in and out the game cause I couldn’t find people to play with… I hate LFG, everyone hates LFG, I can’t stand waiting hours and hours for people that will eventually just leave at first loss or rage or suck.

Very important that some comparative MMR is added to this SOLO SHUFFLE.
But guys, please, this is the single most important thing you can do for the game, ALLOW people to play the damn game!

Let’s go

1 Like

Eternity`s End… Nice name choise. Is that a spoiler that WoW is near its End? R.I.P. :skull:

The FORCED story has an infinite amount of dungeons and ‘raids’ (singular 8 player bosses) you HAVE to complete which you do through dungeon finder. Meanwhile, the only reliable way to level an alt in FF14 is by doing 6 different dungeon finder queues every day, ranging from 4-man dungeons to 24-man raids, including old content where you get 2 abilities to ensure those going through the forced story have players to do the forced group content with. Even the end-game raids are dungeon finder fodder, with the exception for their version of mythic raiding - only for current tier.

The game is almost entirely single player and the non-single player content is matched through almost exclusively dungeon finder queues. Anyone complaining WoW does this and yet not complaining FF14 does this even more shouldn’t be allowed to have an opinion.

So one of the healers worked overtime keeping two inferior dps alive just to lose anyway? You seem to have put about as much thought into that as Blizzard did into this brawl.

No.

I spammed max level dungeon on the last job I lvled, I didn’t even queue duty roulettes.

It takes a few minutes at most.