Event ID 4101

Hi. As of the 7th I’m getting a freeze that lasts for about 10 seconds every hour or so, sometimes more often. In event viewer it’s listed as Event ID 4101 “Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”. I’ve tried multiple fixes including one that says to add a registry edit called “TDRdelay”. This does not fix the issue at all and instead of the freeze recovering it just crashes my game with an error “world of warcraft was unable to start up 3d acceleration” and in the event viewer ID 4109 “Application Wow.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.”.

Might be coincidence but the freeze happens pretty often when events happen on screen such as the animation for completing a follower mission, opening the map, when the talking head pops up on screen for completing a world quest.

Things I’ve tried:
Updating windows
Updating graphics driver
Rolling back graphics driver
Creating registry edit “TDRdelay”
Changing from directx 11 to directx 12
Disabling full screen optimisations in WoW.
Underlocking GPU by 100mhz-300mhz
Increasing GPU voltage limit
Setting power options to high performance

PC specs:
I5-7600k
1080ti
16gb 3000mhz RAM
z270-ultra gaming
Corsair 750w psu
256gb SSD

The only thing that’s changed with my PC recently is I got a new monitor on the 5th (LG GL850) and new fans on the 4th (Corsair LL120).

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

2 Likes

So there are a few things we can try for this:

Remove any programs that are using Overlays. Discord, Overwolf, NZXT CAM Fan Control software etc.

Uninstall any graphics accelerator software. Note that this is typically provided by a graphics card company, or will advertise “boost game performance” on it.

Delete the game’s Blizzard App cache folder.

1. Press the Windows + R keys
  2. In the Run Box type %programdata% and press OK
  3. In the ProgramData folder open the Blizzard Entertainment folders
  4. Delete the game’s folder in the Blizzard Entertainment folder

If you have done the above and still have the issue then I would suggest searching the Nvdia Support site for “TDR Error” or “nvlddmkm stopped”.
They have posts about this in their forums and also on the support section of their site.

Hi again. I tried what you said with the overlays and I’ve applied every single fix I can find on the nvidia forums, nothing has helped.

This error only happens in WoW and almost always happens when I open my character panel, map, or a talking head frame pops up. I’ve played other games just fine.

Hello, Caernarvon!

When I built my new PC in December 2018 I endured freezes only in World of Warcraft for no reason (1 freeze / hour or sometimes more often, just like you). I reinstalled the Windows and all the drivers was up to date. I don’t remember the error message from Event Viewer, but I searched on internet, I tried everything and no luck. How I solved that? My SSD was the problem. I had a Kingston A400 (480GB). I buyed Samsung Evo 860 (500GB) where I installed the Windows and all my games. I threw the Kingston SSD in the trash and then I buyed one more Evo 860 because it’s super powerful. I think that Kingstone couldn’t handle games and Windows in the same time.

My PC:
i5-9600K
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4 3200MHz
PSU 750W

Again, another user affected by this issue. Still suggesting people to troubleshoot their own systems. Again, I can only assume this issue won’t be fixed anytime soon :).

Happened to me today. Seems to be only WoW so far. Brand new computer, no known issues with hardware.