Final nail in the crafting coffin

So with the latest patch you can learn new crafting recipes but you can’t make them unless you build the Restored Abyssal Focus. Ok, done that at 5 manapearls per shard for 15 shards. Next, to craft 425 B.O.P. items, even if you have the mats, you need 20 eternal ornaments to upgrade the focus that only drop from Eternal Palace raid bosses, then after that you need 200 ornaments from the same place. It’s just a rediculous requirement to make gear that will be lower than what drops in the content it needs you to run to make the items in the first place. Given the drop rate, we’d have a new expansion before being able to make much.

51 Likes

Yeah i agree. While there has always been raid exclusive mats in high end crafting, in old days there was many other recipies to do not just one where mats comes from raids. Raid mats were also sometimes tradeable so people were able to buy them from AH as well. This benefited also raiders with extra gold they got for selling those mats.

Problem is lazy design of professions where there is very little interesting recipes and where there is no top recipes that you could make without raidmats, making crafting useless for non raiders and useless for raiders as well (judging by the ilvl of those items you can craft).

16 Likes

Used to take pride in every proff being maxed out and having as many recipes as poss but with so many mats being BoP now i have given up .

20 Likes

I agree completely. The only professions I have worked on to max out are Alchemy, Jewelcrafting and Enchanting and that is only so our guild bank is fully stocked for our raiders. All the other professions I have are pointless now and that is such a shame, professions used to be a huge part of this game and now not even worth the amount of time you spend on it.

35 Likes

I dont get it why so many people are complaining about the prossesions. There is still stuff thats useful for everyone like enchants, gems and mount gear, beginner items etc. and if you do like 4 raid weeks in your current raid tier you can craft up to 2 items from the next timer WITH a socket! Im really excited for my 440 trinket and ring the next lockout

1 Like

Those are raid items, disguised as profession items.

13 Likes

It’s more than a “crafting” nail, tbh. The game is on its last legs (not surprising after 15 years). I’m expecting a lot in the (maybe a couple of years) future, where most stuff becomes free before the game dies completely.

I may be wrong, of course. But it just feels like the time is closer now than it’s ever been before.

8 Likes

It was explained in above posts. But to go to details, there is less things to craft, less interesting items, less slots to enchants, less gemslots, glyphs are cosmetic only, and only items that can compete with gear that is widely available in all content need bop raid materials which makes them just raid loot in disguise.

I am the same. I got all professions on my alts and it was one of my activities to collect all recipies possible for me and have wide array of things to craft, whether for myself or for friends. It was actual game activity to me to collect those recipies and mats. Now professions are not worth it and i have also given up keeping most of them up because they are so useless. And what annoys me the most on it is not missing “good items” but missing that part of the gameplay.

9 Likes

Well firstly, not everyone raids so this creates an immediate barrier to another means of gearing. Possibly one of the few means of gearing left not totally shrouded in RNG. You know what you’re going to get as a minimum. The gear you need the ornaments to be able to craft will end up being of less value than the gear you get from doing those raids which renders it completely pointless. It’s bop so you can’t even AH it. Blizz removed the need for raid mats to make the actual items but instead made it that you can’t craft the items without building a crafting station that requires raid items. It’s a bit of a con.

12 Likes

The whole point of a profession is to make things that you can sell on. The bop for crafted gear and insane requirements relative to what drops from m+ and raids is just plain crazy and needs a total rethink. Other than gathering herbs and alchemy there’s really not too much point to the other professions as they currently are.

4 Likes

I haven’t bothered to craft any gear this xpac but am I right in thinking that the stats are rng as well when you make something, especially ‘high’ end gear?

2 Likes

I sorta agree.

It’s fine that they require you to do the new raid but getting 200 is just dumb.

Requiring to do raid would be fine if there would also other “high end” profession recipies to do that won’t require it. Binding only usable gear recipies to raid just makes crafting be “raid activity” instead of it being fun and interesting activity to all players to do.

7 Likes

Yeah. You get stamina, agility and a socket for the legs I wanted to make plus random stats on top.

I loved profs. I’ve even got realm first skinner from Pandaria. I always made a point of covering all profs with alts so they could both feed each other with mats and equip each other. The expac by expac shafting of enchanting probably irks me more than anything as back on TBC I’d quite a well known enchy on his realm with a lot of rare recipes. Rings, weapons and crafting related glove enchants are a pitiful fraction of what we used to be able to do.

5 Likes

Yea. Don’t even bother with that unless you’re doing weekly heroic clears or mythic. 3 weeks of heroic first 3 bosses, full normal clear and i got 80 so far. 120 left.

So it should be easy and accessible? Pretty meh.

Yeah, those BoP crafting recipes for armor have a tendency of being completely useless by the time you can actually craft them. It’s really crap.

Not sure about the otehr professions. Alchemy wasn’t that bad iirc. I am currently attempting to get me the 440 trinket now, curious if I can manage it. Don’t remember the mats atm. My BoP leatherworking items however… Not been able to use a single one of those items, as they haven’t been possible to craft until the items have been useless.

5 Likes

This tier you actually need less raids to craft everything and they have bigger value due to socket, but I guess people can’t do math.

Crafting was a nice pastime for non raiders. I ‘m another who levelled most professions and had fun with them, but although I did raid a bit a long time ago, I’ve never been a raider. It’s part of the idea that everyone should do everything I would guess. They have to gimp some things so that folk can fit it all in.

They chose raids as the priority I think and so that there are enough people doing their different raids and dungeons, they try to force everyone to participate, whether they like it or not, it seems. You can’t be helping a group with some mythic or raid, if you’re spending hours outside picking flowers, or killing demons for runes to craft with, so they moved more of the the mats inside and if you want to PvP successfully, you have to earn it by helping raids first.

That’s what it seems from reading the forums. Am I right?

7 Likes

Unless you wanna make the BoP raid crafts, simply don’t bother unless you’re alchemy or enchanting. The 370s don’t get bought and the 410 aren’t worth the effort (or 415 in case of the engineering helm).

Dev 1: The proffs need new stuff to craft! 370 catch-up gear injected!
Dev 2 who hates professions: Here is my answer then in the form of 385 BoA tokens! YEAH I WIN! Also the 410+ crafts are all BoP for some extra middle finger work.

3 Likes