Former Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime Starts a New Game Studios and Publishing

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/52296-former-blizzard-ceo-mike-morhaime-starts-a-new-game-studios-and-publishing-company/

Wonderful news. Just don’t let Activision buy.

17 Likes
5 Likes

Haha… would be delicious if they made an mmorpg too.

4 Likes

Well its obvious they wan to create heavy multiplayer games as they clearly said they wan to bring players together so.

3 Likes

Always preferred small independent businesses in every business. Shall keep my eye on it.

3 Likes

I’m very excited and wish the Dreamhaven team all the best! This has the potential to become something really awesome and I am always happy to see more great games, so I’m eager to see what kind of stuff the new studio will come up with.

I hope Dreamhaven will bring back the good ol’ Blizzard polish, as Blizzard itself is… not very good at it anymore.

3 Likes

Aren’t they?

Name a competing game in any of Blizzard’s game genres that’s more polished than Blizzard’s game.

1 Like

I believe they are not.

Also, I will not be naming any competing games as I don’t play them. I am comparing current Blizzard to old Blizzard.

Most veteran devs fail miserably to make something decent today, so i wouldn’t expect much from him. Being good 30 years ago doesn’t mean being good now.

You make it sound like he stopped doing anything for 30 years. I don’t think you are correct.

2 Likes

Hmm. Without coming off as too much of a white knight, I think their games maintain the same high quality and attention to detail as always. Their old games received a slew of post-release patches just as their new games do.
But if course, it’s in the eye of the beholder.
I think the main difference between new and old is the business side of it. The old games were just games, the new are franchises with shops.

Just don’t make indie titles, please…

if it was 2014 they would have the time, now they have to compete with retail and classic, soon TBC and etc seems like that ship has sailed
but even junior competition can be good, WoW has grown by accumulating junior competitors experience and solutions

If they manage to keep company private and produce relatively good games they will be fine.

2 Likes

Polished?

I can give credits for commercially successful, but neither WoW, nor OW, nor Warcraft, nor HoTS, nor Hearthstone are being polished.

We won’t even touch on Diablo.

2 Likes

It’s either indie games, or a big investor coming and becoming the new activision-blizzard.

I want somebody, anybody, to make a city-builder like the old Master of Olympus and Pharaoh games by Impression Games.

And if someone can get around to making something akin to Heroes of Might & Magic III, since Ubisoft don’t seem up to the task anymore, that would be swell.

And I’ll grab a 4x game that’s better than the Civilization series too, if I can have it.

Don’t need a new MMORPG. WoW is excellent in that field, and there are plenty of good alternatives.

Hope they make some of the above. Revive forgotten genres. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Ubisoft is only a publisher. The developer is Limbic(and Nyval before them)

And a paid sub model MMO that hasn’t had to go free to play.

1 Like

And some more, I think (3DO?). It’s changed hands a number of times, but still, I like the genre and gameplay, and it annoys me that few other companies have tried to make similar games.