[Forum Guide] How to clean up the Realm Forums 🙂

Good morning Argent Dawn!

I’ve decided to finally give something to the community in a humble effort to improve your forum browsing experiences. I am sure I’m not the only one who is tired of the following:

<snipped - “undesired posts” is a little more forum friendly here :slight_smile: - Blizzard>

If you’re also fed up with the <undesired posts - Blizzard> of those I listed above, worry no more! Blizzard’s old Forum Ignore feature can be implemented with a few simple steps.

The following applies to Google Chrome users. For Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari any contributions would be welcome by finding an appropriate CSS Code addin/extension that will work for the entire site.

For my fellow Chrome users here’s the few easy steps you have to perform:

1. Get the Amino: Live CSS Editor extension (or a neat equivalent that can apply CSS code to a domain).
    Link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/amino-live-css-editor/pbcpfbcibpcbfbmddogfhcijfpboeaaf
  2. Enable the extension and have the realm forums open.
  3. Open up Amino, select “Domain” and paste in the following text:

<snip - removed - Blizzard>

1. Hit “Save” and refresh.

And done! The forums will have an insanely reduced number of clutter and what you will be left with are healthy discussions, the odd reply to a debate with some otherkin or troll and general positivity instead of the derailed warzones that some threads become.

Note that the guide’s list is in no way complete. Naturally I’ll consider any submissions and add them to the code list above, as well as remain vigilant myself and expand it when needed.

!!!Edit!!!: I’ve also compiled the complete list of IDs and found the characters associated with them. If anyone’s interested I can share it via Discord (Dalaken#4691).

As for those who have been regretfully pruned by the code, no worries, it’s natural! There should be consequences for rampant sillyness as they existed on the old WoW forums (As well as in-game in the form of the Ignore function that exists to this day). As mentioned by an MVP / reinforced by others, it’s “on the list” for Blizzard when they finally decide to readd some features that Discourse is missing, but I’m here to hasten the process at least a tiny bit. (Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/no-ignore-block-feature/31422/11)

All in all, happy posting Argent Dawn! I hope the forums will become more pleasant as more willing individuals follow this guide! :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Ah shoot, posted on the wrong character. Oh well!

2 Likes

Thank you for this informative post! Finally i am free from the…

What a great help you have been.

2 Likes

Add 4Chan enthusiasts who came to the wrong website to the list as well while you’re at it. Pretty sure everyone is tired of the 2015 Lingo.

Also, before anyone writes that piece of code into the extension. Is there a way to determine who are the specific users who’s IDs will be ignored by it? Seeing as people could easily make a post like this, put someone in the list who they just dislike for a completely different reason and then just say “Oh yeah they are -Insert here- trust me bro”.

2 Likes

Sadly that would be naming and shaming. However, you can contact me on Discord (Dalaken#4691) or in-game via whispers and I’ll give you the list!

Is that me? :frowning: :slightly_frowning_face:

Nope, but I guess you can start improving if you recognized yourself!

2 Likes

If you are worried about who is on the list provided you can easily compile your own one. Just go to the profile of the person you want to put on the list, put .json on the end of the profile and then the user ID is one of the first things you see.

4 Likes

I’ll clean this up I guess by muting it LOL

Bye!

I’ve added my Discord in the OP too as I’ve matched all the IDs with their characters.

1 Like

Banging my knife and fork on the table shouting PIN THIS! over and over. Top work lad.

3 Likes

yeah that’s kinda the idea except based on individuals instead

3 Likes

Hard pass here.

Part of the charm of the forums is to see and discuss opinions with people that you disagree with or are at odds with. Better yet, if you want to stay up to date or criticize people you think have done something appalling, the best thing to do is to let them speak their mind on these forums: Nobody plays people better than themselves, after all.

It does come however down to individual preference, so I applaud the work you’ve done and hope whoever wants their forum experience moderated will take up your offer, as it seems a very good one if you want that sort of thing.

Cheers.

21 Likes

That charm died for me circa a decade ago. Now I simply consider this the same as ignoring someone in-game. You do you though!

3 Likes

Ok boomer :rofl:

I think the muting comes from a good place, but personally I don’t agree recommending your own personal list as a global one.

6 Likes

If you have any concerns regarding the list you can PM me on Discord and Ill share the character names associated with the IDs :slight_smile:

FYI I am saying this opinion with a good guess that I probably am among some of the blocked options there, so with that in mind I’d like to make clear I still advocate for it. If you don’t want to be in touch with somebody, you shouldn’t be forced to.

Your fix seems great until Blizzard gives us a proper block/ignore function- Even if I won’t use it, I recognize the value in it, as said.

Does this work across alts by the way? If I swap to another one of my characters on forums, for example, does the block still work?

1 Like

if you were on the list I wouldnt be replying to you…

Sadly not. Namechanges and racechanges don’t change the ID though, only faction changes do, which means some IDs in my list are for the same players. (And even more sadly it doesn’t help with identifying alts. That part’s a WIP.)

I’ve already seen it / read it, and by all accounts the list contains mostly of people whose posts i really don’t care about either.

I just don’t agree with you asserting your own list on everyone

4 Likes

Am I on the list ? :thinking: