[Forum Guide] How to clean up the Realm Forums 🙂

You can’t cherrypick the least of their offences and pretend that’s what I’m referring to when I’m saying “harassment”. It wasn’t just that they said his name was bad, it was that it made him a bad stupid person who should feel bad.

I’ve been pretty clear on what I’m defining - “harassment” - and the terms in which it’s been defined - “insulting, demeaning, mocking, belittling and intimidating”, so I don’t know why you keep reverting to “saying his name was bad”.

based and polite-pilled

But the meaning of those words is already linked. They share synonyms in persecution, intimidation, pressure, etc. They are compatible species. It’s not an unnatural abomination I’m creating like a Liger, it’s a lovable mongrel like a Labradoodle

nihilist: someone who rejects all religious and moral principles in the belief that [the forums] are meaningless

I think calling someone dumb is unkind, and I think saying it repeatedly is unnecessary and even more unkind, and I think when you have five or six people in a thread calling you dumb and stupid and ignorant and then saying they’re going to report you on spurious grounds, it’s harassment and/or bullying, yeah.

It’d be bullying in a playground, it’s bullying here - and I think it was pretty obvious the poster in question was getting upset and distressed. Being “rude” is a bit too sanitised for me. It implies a lack of thought in the manner and presentation. I’d put it under “being cruel”, which, considering they were tormenting him for their own entertainment, it definitely was. And that changes things. There’s a big difference between being a bit rude and going out of your way to be hurtful and aggravate somebody already in a wound-up state - it wasn’t just “your name is bad and you should change it”, it was repeated mocking and belittling remarks. So there’s a gulf between what you’re describing and what I’m describing, and I feel like you’re only describing half of the picture.

I don’t think it’s the same thing. When you’re reframing things, you’re not representing them in full - you’re offering partial or in some cases actual misrepresentations of what happened, and so you’re excluding in your definition anything inconvenient to your position.

It’s not accurate to say that they were only protesting his name - that was a part of it, but they were also criticising him, and doing so repeatedly, in mocking and belittling posts. I don’t think it’s fair to say repeated mocking is the same as being rude, to me it’s more malicious than that, especially when it’s turned into a forum dog-piling.

The mentality I’m critiquing here is best represented by eager young PCU cadet Crowton (in another thread entirely)

I don’t think you can say that summoning the “pack” to a forum dog-piling falls under “impolite”, and Rabies was getting dog-piled.

The entire premise of their derailment was that he’d broken the ToS, which he hadn’t, as many reasonable arguments in the thread proved - so, IF they weren’t ruled against (which could be, as you said earlier, due to a lack of moderation) - he certainly wasn’t either, proving they’d no grounds to go after him.

Almost like a man who believes in what he’s saying. I’m repeating myself because there seems to be a fundamental disagreement about the nature of events which alas I am unable to resolve to my satisfaction.

Well this much is true - the answer has been a resounding

So I agree that the debate at this point is redundant and circular. I try to make you care, you don’t care, it’s a sisyphean task. That’s not an entirely glib statement - only a mostly glib one - because where I see harassment, you see rude, so for you it’s a non-issue.

Actually, no - and I’ll admit I’m wrong here. You can’t be responsible for people outside of the PCU. It’s just hard to tell who’s outside the PCU when, say, a person like Vixi - an ex-member - is riding in the same bandwagon (over poor Rabies) with a bunch of actual members

unhappy with this arrangement

But do you have a moral right? I’d say no. Either harassment’s bad or it isn’t - I think repeatedly verbally abusing somebody, and doing so en masse, counts as harassment, rather than just being rude, but then we’re at the same impasse as earlier.

… which officer? I showed you mine, you show me yours -

oh.
/thread

3 Likes