Fun Fact about Daelin Proudmoore

I just found out that according to Metzen he is Lawful Good (from a 2011 Blizzcon interview).

I kinda find that fact hilarious. I guess he won’t be in Revendreth with Kael’thas, but in Bastion then. If he shows up at all.

Could you link the source, please?

Alliance bias strikes once more. No surprises. Can’t have the Alliance feeling bad about anything ever. I know I opened my new topic for a good reason :smiley:

2 Likes

I can’t post links unfortunately. Find the page for Finnall Goldensword on wowpedia to learn more.

The question wasn’t actually about Daelin at all. It was about how the Warcraft RPGs are non-canon and Metzen cited Finnall as an example of why, claiming that Daelin wouldn’t cheat on his wife because he is Lawful Good. I don’t think we should really take that as a serious analysis of his character, I just found it funny :smiley:

Just post is as code/preformatted Text, like this: Preformatted text

But thanks, it’s somewhere in the Blizzcon 2011 Q&A, apparently:

“…you know, like, Admiral Proudmoore’s got some love child elf thing, I’m like what in the wo-, like, he’s lawful good, he’s not going to cheat on his wife, you know, I just- like ideas [indistinct] I’m like COME ON!”

Funnily enough, Metzen also says that Kael’Thas’ story is pretty done, after they brought him back once…

2 Likes

Daelin was right and he warned everyone, but nobody would listen.

5 Likes

Yes, and retcons and changes don’t and didn’t happen in the time between then and now.
Or…did they.

1 Like

No, but while we are at it… people who heartily disagree with that assessment… what alignment would you give Daelin? He is a proud warrior, who has a pretty black&white view of the world. A family man, who is willing to sacrifice himself to protect future generations. Someone who doesn’t believe sinners should go unpunished. I think that there isn’t much arguing about the lawful part, is there?

Apart from that… skipping through it a bit, I’m really jealous of those guys in 2011, actually getting a Q&A specifically for lore…

Edit:
Huh, it’s also the q&a where they said that they didn’t have plans for Anduin before Golden got her hands on him… and that they changed direction from novels as supplemental material to novels as part of the concurrent plot…

3 Likes

Killing off Kael was a mistake. Glad he will be back soon enough.

1 Like

Did the same thing with Calia. This Woman has too much power.

I think what Metzen meant is that, when his people are concerned, Daelin is lawful good. He was a loving father, he was a dear husband who would never cheat on his wife, he was a great leader who kept peace and order in the realm for decades, he was a hero beloved and respected by his people and allies. This is just how Daelin acts when he is with his people.

But then, he was also very stubborn. His hatred for the orcs festered and he just couldn’t give them a chance after everything they took from him. I don’t doubt that he thought he was doing a good thing by waging war on the Horde. He probably still saw them as mere beasts (he didn’t have the chance to see them fighting at the Battle of Mount Hyjal), and so he thought he was doing a favour to Azeroth by getting rid of them. He didn’t want to wage war on them just “because”.

Ultimately, Daelin is a very good example of a morally grey villain. A GOOD morally grey villain, not that garbage that is Sylvanas. He was a character with a clear goal, understandable motives, and a sombre background which explained very well his view of the world.

And hey, now that Metzen is back maybe my theory about Daelin being destined to Bastion will be true :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Nah, not really. Bastion are the selfless servant types… That’s not Daelin at all. I’m sure there is a fitting afterlife for him out there, but it isn’t that one.

Maldraxxus or Revendreth.

Not them, either. But since the Shadowlands are endless… There is sure to be a more fitting place.

Maybe a special afterlife only for the Kul Tirans. Perhaps they can give more relevance to the Tidemother (who wasn’t Azshara after all).

Tbh, I don’t think DnD alignments are a good way to describe people, certainly not characters like Daelin Proudmoore.

2 Likes

ITT: people trying to flesh out dumb throw-away antagonists.

1 Like

He did get fleshed out more in BFA though, even though he was set up as the bad guy in The Founding of Durotar…

That said, a man who sails across the sea to look for his daughter who may well be dead already, that doesn’t strike me as black and white though…he has his reasons, I suppose, in my opinion, you could even dub Dealin Proudmoore an Anti-Hero for the Alliance.
Just an antagonist for the Horde…but quite frankly, I like those characters, it was what Sylvanas was and could have been, before she got butchered, depending on how well the upcoming story goes, there’s still a small ray of light she might be.

1 Like

It wasn’t just to look for his daughter. It was also to retaliate against the Horde’s transgression, since Thrall broke the Alliance internment act, razed an Alliance garrison, hijacked Alliance warships, and unconciously plunged southern Lordaeron into war.

I do know that, but depending on whichever was his priority there, I don’t think he was that black and white.

By the way;

Technically you can’t break something you never agreed to, or were a part of.

1 Like