Gearing system killed pvp

Greetings heroes of azeroth!

I just returned to wow after a 3 month break only to find pvp at a terrible state.

Since day one of this xpac it was very obvious to me that the ratting requirements to upgrade pvp gear were eventually going to sway people away from pvp and finally kill it.

This was the main reason that started an avalance of problems.

And since pvp is pretty dead right now i believe i was proved right!

Now i just wonder, how many people agree with this…Do you guys still support this gearing system?

Have a great day…probably not playing wow pvp :laughing:

42 Likes

Yeh the gearing killed it for me too.

I used to spam bg’s, now I rarely log-in & when I do, it takes me 2mins into a game for me to remember how garbage it is trying to play at a 30ilvl+ disadvantage, then promptly log-off.
I’m hardly a WoW veteran, but I’ve sat through enough annihilations w/o quitting/afk’ing & I honestly can’t blame people who do. It’s not a fun experience. & if I’m at my wits end, I can’t see many new players sticking with it.

I think the people who couldn’t 1-shot nubs ‘becoz stoopid scaling’ must be the only ones loving it. It sucks balls for anyone else / players who actually want a challenge / fight.

I hope they don’t change this gearing model next expac. I don’t want a reason to come back / get sucked into another ’maybe they actually fixed it this time!’ -I actually want to watch it collapse from the bottom up.
Wish I could see the faces of people scoffing: ’you want the best gear in the game from random bg’s? / but mmorpg / I deserve twice your hp when we fight, just look @ my rating!’ …when they’re the only ones left playing.

It’s painfully obvious Blizz don’t give a fork about the experience / feedback from players,
(“yeh maybe 7ilvl diff is a bit much, we’ll look at adding more increments” -like what the actual f??? -also: “we’Re making changes because things need to die” -wtf!? -one-shots isn’t quick enough!?)
…so why should players give a sht about keeping this monstrosity on life-support?
Burn it all down.
…metaphorically, you little pyro’s.

In all srsns, Blizz needs to take it’s head for a good long poo & have a think about the direction they’re heading & the culture they’re cultivating.

28 Likes

I’m in two minds about the rating system upgrades.

On one hand I get that progression and improvement of gear feeds the need for accomplishment and reward.

However, on the other hand, if a person is able to play at 2400, they really don’t need a 26 ilvl gear advantage over less skilled or casual pvp players. They going to beat them on skill anyway, even in equal gear.

Less skilled / casual pvp players already have a difficult time playing against more skilled players, but giving the more skilled players a sizable gear advantage over less skilled players just feels like the pvp gearing system is rigged against casual pvp or less skilled players and perpetuates the frustration I think a lot of casual pvpers are feeling currently.

25 Likes

Cuz gear difference forced some people to buy a boost. Boost = money.

12 Likes

Was the main deal breaker for me also. Use to level 2-3 healing specs and play them to around 1800-1900 in 2s. The reason they are keeping this trash system is to persuade its last few remaining players to buy wow tokens and pay for boosts. Its the only thing they care about, Money money money. I’m thoroughly enjoying the current situation they are in however and seeing just how much it is costing them :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Actually if you hate ranked so much - this LFG timewasting, delcine - decline - delcine, oh you are not in META spec - decline. Just farm gear in Korthia - soon u can gear up into 233. Its not a big deal. I just gave up - playing on cap with whoever take me on games. Don’t care about winrate or gear. F this garbage system.

8 Likes

Just do Mythics and Raiding tbh. If you get full 252 gear with versa on it through mythics and pve you will be more or less like a Rival geared player, with a bit less versa probably, like 3-4%, but more offensive stats, and same main stats.
Then at about half season, you can start climbing in pvp if you want.
The good part about that is you wont be conquest capped, once you get to a good rating you can buy and upgrade all pvp pieces at the same time.
It’s not ideal, but it’s the best fix for the casual pvp players ATM.

2 Likes

Idk, in GW2 u don’t need gear, in swtor there is bolster aka templates. Only WoW PvP maked for nerds. I even can’t play my alts, cuz they will be destroyed in 1.5 GCD by backpedal monkey, PvP is a mini-game…

7 Likes

I also used to spam bgs because I found it to be a great way to relax in the evening. That included playing on my alts and being part of “epic” battles. I think thats the ‘only’ good thing the scaling did. World pvp could be a complete mess with the scaling.

So instead of fixing / changing gear scaling. Make two sets of gear, honor and conquest. Make the difference “low” but still noticeable. Make everyone able to achieve both sets without a rating cap. Make it possible for a full geared honor player to kill a conquest player if they play better.

12 Likes

Ofc no, gearing system is awful. That what happened with game when devs listening pveers in pvp aspects and doing everything for them.
Blizzard, please remove useless Ion from development.

9 Likes

pvp gives you 203 ilvl at max right now 5/7 upgrades and like being naked!

3 Likes

Some, you joking played 3 rbg today 2 of them vs f… booster. Its not gearing system killing that game boosters are they are out of control atm

3 Likes

Honor gear is so f joke, before you can upgrade your gear to rank 7 you can be nearly fully geared with conquest not to mentione pve has no limits to gear

2 Likes

Problem lies not in gear, but in mindset of blizzard.

In pre WoD/Legion xpacs we had good gearing system.
When you reached max level and wanted to do PvP you had two options

• Go in your PvE/Leveling gear and be destroyed if you were focused.
  • Buy crafted pvp-gear with maxed out pvp stat.

Then you could start your workout to aquire Honor PvP gear, that was good enough for the season, altrough it was slightly weaker then Conquest pvp gear, that was an end goal.

And there was no upgrades like that, just three tiers of gear, two of wich didn’t took much time to get (crafted and honor).

What we see right now, is a pathetic attempt of blizzard to stretch the little content they have over large period of time.

9 Likes

I agree, removing scaling and the current gearing system has killed PvP.

This is the first expansion in which I am not bothering with max level PvP because of it.

7 Likes

I’d say it’d be fixed if they weren’t cowards and brought back Resilience. Because that stat actually worked and kept mythic+ boosted PvE scrubs out of the PvP scene and made them gear properly. But since PvP is also full of Russian boosters, why even complain about the gearing system?
Not like changing that will get us anywhere until the boosters are perma banned.

2 Likes

OFC the problem lies also in gear, there is no point in playing Battlegrounds anymore, you get honor from arenas and you get way better gear from arenas. Therefore there is no point in playing bgs, they give like 150 anima IF you win once per day.
This is a joke and a bad design.
But yes there are other several problems as well.

5 Likes

i actually like the gearing system.
on my main i cap conquest and 3 vaults weekly and i have an alt where i play ranked until i have 2 vaults (no conq cap). like if u have a toon that is in current pvp gear its pretty chill and ez. season is still pretty fresh and i already have 8 of the new conq pc´s on my main without gettin weapon in vault.

it gets akward if u have to gear a new charakter tho. starting from scratch having to farm honor for the honorgear and still being outgeared is hard. especially in a meta like rn where u get bursted hard by better geared people. but i guess thats how mmo´s work. a new char wont be up to par in 2 weeks. still i think the system should be adjusted so that new toons dont have such a hard time. ilvl diff between 2.1 and unrated is part of the problem.

so in conclusion i have mixxed feelings. it works out good for me but considering the whole picture it has major flaws.

Thanks for all the replies. To those who claim that boosters killed pvp and not the gearing system i would argue that boosting is a consequence of the system itself along with many other problems. Its allmost as if they made this system so that people can buy boosts…

3 Likes

You are right mate…! Feel the same.

4 Likes